Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Was it worth shutting down the economy?

Spaz

Banned
Reaction score
“Numerous” being 94 out of thousands of US hospitals.
Serious question, since you make it seem like American healthcare system or hospitals is in shambles, but a quick check in Google states that the American government spent 1.1 trillion in 2018 on it, I'm going to assume they spend abt the same in 2019 too.

Are you guys not getting the best?

zekko

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Anecdotal evidence
Anecdotal? I linked two separate articles, one with information from a research firm, the other from Becker's Hospital Review.
I don't understand why you want to deny this is happening, it's all part of the effect of the virus, and the response to it. You want to emphasize what a disaster this is, well this is part of it. You want to emphasize the deaths (and yes, some don't take this seriously enough), but you want to deny that hospitals are also getting hurt by this? Including health care workers?

As for your comments on the health care system, I don't think anyone is going to deny the system is a mess, even if they might not agree on how to fix it. Nonetheless, I respect the hard working people within it.

Bible_Belt

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
You claimed hospitals will be over capacity without sufficient evidence. You are a troll
Npr just now interviewed a nurse from Idaho who went to nyc to help. She is in harlem. All the rooms are full, hallways lined with stretchers. She is used to having 3 or 4 patients at once, now she has 12.

Billtx49

Reaction score
Npr just now interviewed a nurse from Idaho who went to nyc to help. She is in harlem. All the rooms are full, hallways lined with stretchers. She is used to having 3 or 4 patients at once, now she has 12.
Yes, no doubt, with NY/NJ having close to 28% of US cases, they would be extremely busy in that area. Even with a hospital ship and other bed space already added.

In other lesser hit areas the government has been extremely successful with it’s directive concerning no elective surgeries to free up hospital bed space in case it’s needed for incoming…
A staging phase before triage.

DelayedGratification

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
In other lesser hit areas the government has been extremely successful with it’s directive concerning no elective surgeries to free up hospital bed space in case it’s needed for incoming…
Agreed.

That plus repurposing other wards of the hospital, restructuring how outpatient practices in the system operate, etc.

The system my ex works in did several weeks of things like this in order to maximize capacity the best they could. If things are not bursting at the seams in such a scenario, then it is in no small part due to taking advantage of the lead time for preparation.

redskinsfan92

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
New York. Think I mentioned before how New York is a lot different from most of the U.S.

Going to drop this article here.

zekko

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
They're flattening the curve to keep the hospitals from being overrun. As the author states, unfortunately the curve ends up being longer. People are looking to avoid deaths by waiting for a vaccine to give us herd immunity. But do you think everyone can stay inside until late next year when a vaccine is finally ready? If it's even ready by then.

EyeBRollin

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
New York. Think I mentioned before how New York is a lot different from most of the U.S.

Everyone knows "letting it rip" gets us to the end faster. It also causes a lot more deaths, thus confirming your position we should sacrifice people for the economy.

redskinsfan92

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Everyone knows "letting it rip" gets us to the end faster. It also causes a lot more deaths, thus confirming your position we should sacrifice people for the economy.
Such binary thinking

lizardking82

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
@EyeBRollin do you ever question anything the government says or does, bro? Or you just believe everything they say?

DelayedGratification

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
@EyeBRollin do you ever question anything the government says or does, bro? Or you just believe everything they say?
I think it's reasonable to say that the govt (at least the executive branch of the fed) was openly reluctant to recommend economically-damaging social restrictions, and was then arguing to lift those recommendations before Easter.

From that perspective, I'd say @EyeBRollin is in fact actively questioning what the government says and does.

DelayedGratification

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Such binary thinking
I will make the following observation (and while I'm quoting @redskinsfan92, it's not really directed at him personally):

This group is really good at holding frame. Great job everyone!

I'd also suggest that we perhaps save our energy for holding frame with women, not each other, but I suppose that's probably not going to happen in this context.... :rofl:

lizardking82

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Yes, I do every single day. How can the U.S. government be so incompetent?
I mean governments in general. You have obviously completely bought into everything that's being told by the govt about this virus and the numbers and everything else. You seem like you won't even listen to anyone else about it other than the "official narrative"

zekko

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
This group is really good at holding frame.
It's not just that. People are getting irritable from being cooped up inside all the time. I'm seeing a lot more sniping than usual on message boards these days.

You have obviously completely bought into everything that's being told by the govt about this virus and the numbers and everything else.
That's not true. He hasn't believed anything Trump has said :)

redskinsfan92

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
If our food supply chain goes down, it might really hurt the profits of the Chinese companies that own our food supply chain

You know it was a real shame to see it sold to a Chinese company back in 2013. You know Genuine Smithfield ham has to be smoked and cured in Smithfield, Virginia by law. They closed the last smokehouse there in 2018, but were evaluating options. Not sure what happened.

I know they had a TON in inventory. Enough to give them time to weigh their options.

Bible_Belt

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
You know it was a real shame to see it sold to a Chinese company back in 2013. You know Genuine Smithfield ham has to be smoked and cured in Smithfield, Virginia by law. They closed the last smokehouse there in 2018, but were evaluating options. Not sure what happened.

I know they had a TON in inventory. Enough to give them time to weigh their options.
I think we are the only developed country who does not care one bit about foreign interests owning our farm land and food production.

If the Russians are supposedly watching closely to see the precise weaknesses in the US medical supply chain, you know they are watching our food supply chain too.

Food is a lot more powerful than merely keeping people from starving, especially when considering Americans entitled attitude. People will riot and kill each other over the last cheeseburger long before any of us even really start to go hungry. Food security is essential to keep society from falling apart. The easiest way to attack the united states would be to shut down the food supply and watch as we destroyed ourselves.

redskinsfan92

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I think we are the only developed country who does not care one bit about foreign interests owning our farm land and food production.

If the Russians are supposedly watching closely to see the precise weaknesses in the US medical supply chain, you know they are watching our food supply chain too.

Food is a lot more powerful than merely keeping people from starving, especially when considering Americans entitled attitude. People will riot and kill each other over the last cheeseburger long before any of us even really start to go hungry. Food security is essential to keep society from falling apart. The easiest way to attack the united states would be to shut down the food supply and watch as we destroyed ourselves.
Some people got crazy over the Popeye's chicken sandwich shortage