Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Getting the boxer physique, from an overweight perspective

speed dawg

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Everything there sounds terrible no offence.

The Brad Pitt in fight Club physique is just a very lean physique with not that much muscle. You being a 230lb man its going to be very very difficult to achieve that because of your body type not being Brad Pitts

But what you want to do is forget your 3x5 routine which is a strength based rep range and go 4x10-12 which is a muscle building rep range. Forget full body workouts as well and go for the Bro split, otherwise you aren't going to recover enough to max out each session.

Bro split 5x a week

Chest+triceps
Back+biceps
Off
Shoulders+arms
Legs
Off

And most crucial is your diet, you will need to be in a deficit for MONTHS. Look into intermittent fasting if you want to make that more tolerable. You want a slow and steady dropping on the scale, 1-2lb a week MAX

The battle ropes and all that other gimmicky stuff, it's OK for your general fitness but it's actually going to do barely anything for fat loss

A 30 minutes session of that will burn like 300 calories

OR you can just eat 300 calories less that day for the same results.

Be aware to get to the level of lean that BP was in fight club is probably going to take you longer than a year, and also be aware he was on steroids to achieve that physique
Not only that but he had incredible genetics and flexibility. You can't just "achieve" that look.

GrowingPains

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
It's simply not efficient unless you are a very advanced lifter.
Actually full body routines make sense for beginners. They recover the fastest and can take advantage of that to do another full body workout in 48 hrs. An advanced lifter would have trouble with this, as they're probably going to need more intensity and more specific movements to progress. Full body workouts would take too long and be too taxing if they included that specificity an advanced lifter needs. However, a beginner can get away with doing squat, bench, rows in one day and that be enough for them because they haven't developed the muscle groups that are used for said exercises.

And as far as efficiency... A bro split allows you you hit your muscles twice a week. Full body allows you to hit the muscles 3x a week. 52 weeks * 2 is 104. 52 weeks * 3 is 156. Full body workout would allow you to do more in the same amount of time.

Then on top of that... It could be argued that full body is best anyways. It's how body builders used to train before they started using roids. But that's subjective and again, OP should be focused on doing something he can stick to.

GrowingPains

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Not only that but he had incredible genetics and flexibility. You can't just "achieve" that look.
Brad Pitts body in fight club is not that impressive. It's an okay, fit body but there's nothing about it with gawking over. An okay body plus all the lighting and makeup made it look even better.

R

Ranger

I've lost 9 pounds down to 230 at 5"10 and some change. I've Manly mixed up random cardio machines and kettlebell workouts and battle ropes.

I want to gain a boxers physique similar to Brad pitt in fight club but more shredded.

Do you think a 30 minute 3x5 session followed by a 30 minute kettlebell is too much for one day. Keeping it fresh is important the 4th day will just be cardio.
Full body weight lifting 3 times a week 1 day half kettlebell and weights. Next battle ropes jump ropes and weights. 3rd day 3x5 weights again and some form of cardio.
Sounds good?
First understand the nature of the energy required by a boxer.
Extreme surges of intermittent energy. My dad taught me to box. Most of your power comes from your legs.
These bursts of energy will drain a man who has not trained from short bursts of sustained power.
You want your last punch to be as forcefull as your first punch. This is a completely different physiological nervous system firing than let’s say a long distance runner or a cyclist.

Nor is it like a weight lifter or bodybuilder. This is how I train now. Like a fighter.
After years of three mile runs in the corps, brutal 20 mile force marches and humping the Korean hills in full gear, not to mention high mountains in the equatorial zones, I realized that this is not an optimum conditioning. At least for me.

Explosive power comes from a different set of energy cues.
Sprints/dead mill sprints and heavy deadlifts. Explosiveness is a training goal in itself. Long cardio after maybe 20 minutes is useless.

speed dawg

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
First understand the nature of the energy required by a boxer.
Extreme surges of intermittent energy. My dad taught me to box. Most of your power comes from your legs.
These bursts of energy will drain a man who has not trained from short bursts of sustained power.
You want your last punch to be as forcefull as your first punch. This is a completely different physiological nervous system firing than let’s say a long distance runner or a cyclist.

Nor is it like a weight lifter or bodybuilder. This is how I train now. Like a fighter.
After years of three mile runs in the corps, brutal 20 mile force marches and humping the Korean hills in full gear, not to mention high mountains in the equatorial zones, I realized that this is not an optimum conditioning. At least for me.

Explosive power comes from a different set of energy cues.
Sprints/dead mill sprints and heavy deadlifts. Explosiveness is a training goal in itself. Long cardio after maybe 20 minutes is useless.
Let's just apply this to life.

Explosiveness is useful. Long cardio isn't. I suspect it's always been that way, even back in the caveman days. There was always a need to lift something, or run fast to hunt. I can't remember there ever been a need to simply jog for hours on end. Ever seen the long on those long distance runners' faces? They look like they are trying to sh*t out an ostrich.

Explosiveness helps release testosterone, long cardio drains it (and may actually produce estrogen).

Bottom line, long cardio is for women. To me, running helps produce a perfect female figure.

R

Ranger

Let's just apply this to life.

Explosiveness is useful. Long cardio isn't. I suspect it's always been that way, even back in the caveman days. There was always a need to lift something, or run fast to hunt. I can't remember there ever been a need to simply jog for hours on end.

Explosiveness helps release testosterone, long cardio drains it (and may actually produce estrogen).

Bottom line, long cardio is for women.
We definitely are in agreement. Long cardio is actually damaging in the long run physically as well.
Nothing cuts you up like sprints.

PeasantPlayer

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
It doesn't matter what you do as long as you do something.

You're at the point where you just need to be moving consistently. Key word, consistently. You can worry about the details of that rep range is right or wrong or better for this or that later.

There was a comment about urging you to do more. But if you burn out early you won't reach your goal. Play the long game. Keep it simple and do something you find manageable and slightly enjoyable that you can stick to.

And focus really hard on what you eat. Again, pick something you can stick to. Not something hardcore. You need to build momentum first. Crawl now, sprint later.

Everyone will have their opinions about what workout you should do and what you should eat. The thing is you need to pick what you believe in or else you won't do it consistently if you aren't bought into it.

Chris Jones has a series called sh!t to fit on youtube, id recommend that as he keeps it very simple and is a professional.
Can't find Chris Jones

bigdave17

Banned
Reaction score
way too much nonsense in this thread

I was 245 LBs in high school @ 30% BF. I'm now 198 lbs @ 14% bf

just lift hard and eat small portions. What's so complicated about that?

R

Ranger

If that worked for you then there you go. I like achieving the same outcome with an enhanced and optimized endocrine system. What you propose will actually lessen your testosterone to a measurable degree. A small portion of a bread sandwich is not conducive.

bigdave17

Banned
Reaction score
If that worked for you then there you go. I like achieving the same outcome with an enhanced and optimized endocrine system. What you propose will actually lessen your testosterone to a measurable degree. A small portion of a bread sandwich is not conducive.
eating healthy is always the best but you don't have to eat completely perfect

important thing is to work out hard and eat high protein

R

Ranger

eating healthy is always the best but you don't have to eat completely perfect

important thing is to work out hard and eat high protein
It’s ok for us to disagree. I disagree.
High fat and running on & metabolizing fat for fuel

bigdave17

Banned
Reaction score
It’s ok for us to disagree. I disagree.
High fat and running on & metabolizing fat for fuel
disagree with what?

you disagree with the notion that you can get excellent results with almost any routine as long as you work out very hard/good form and eat normal portions with high protein?

Bible_Belt

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
5 times a week is alot
If you were training to fight, you would train at least 5x a week, two hours or so per session. And that doesn't count going running for cardio several times a week, too. And keep in mind that is for amateur level fighters, pros would obviously train a lot harder.

Fighters do tend to be skinny, because it is an advantage to be in a lower weight class. They are likely not the best looking beach bodies, but still much more fit than the average person. The most muscular fighters are/were very likely to have used roids or hgh. Look at before and after pics of John Jones. It takes some help to build muscle like that while still training to fight.

R

Ranger

disagree with what?

you disagree with the notion that you can get excellent results with almost any routine as long as you work out very hard/good form and eat normal portions with high protein?
Nope

GrowingPains

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Can't find Chris Jones

Heres 2 different sh!t to fit series he did. Pumpchasers is his new channel. Physiques of greatness is the old one.

He's funny. Entertaining to watch. Quality info.

PeasantPlayer

Master Don Juan
Reaction score

What was your training regime like how many days a week how many sets and reps how much cardio, which exercises etc

GrowingPains

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
That dude is way to bulky
He's a body builder. So for his goals, he is doing just fine.

Just because you train like someone doesn't mean you'll look like them. Your genetics are different.

I suggested his videos because he offers good general advice not because you will look like him.