Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Getting the boxer physique, from an overweight perspective

PeasantPlayer

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I've lost 9 pounds down to 230 at 5"10 and some change. I've Manly mixed up random cardio machines and kettlebell workouts and battle ropes.

I want to gain a boxers physique similar to Brad pitt in fight club but more shredded.

Do you think a 30 minute 3x5 session followed by a 30 minute kettlebell is too much for one day. Keeping it fresh is important the 4th day will just be cardio.
Full body weight lifting 3 times a week 1 day half kettlebell and weights. Next battle ropes jump ropes and weights. 3rd day 3x5 weights again and some form of cardio.
Sounds good?

bigdave17

Banned
Reaction score
I challenge you to push yourself even harder and incorporate the extra 30 mins. and while you're at it you might as well up the cardio too because burning calories and eating and drinking clean are the two most important factors in getting an exceptionally chiseled physique. Jumprope has been my go-to cardio for the past 2 years. I do 1200 jumpropes reps per day, 4-5xs per week, interspersed between my weightlifting.

4 sets no-to-minimal rest between exercises:
300 jumpropes
Deadlifts at 185 lbs.
Farmer's walk 1 min.
Shrugs

its 90% how many calories you eat

PeasantPlayer

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I challenge you to push yourself even harder and incorporate the extra 30 mins. and while you're at it you might as well up the cardio too because burning calories and eating and drinking clean are the two most important factors in getting an exceptionally chiseled physique. Jumprope has been my go-to cardio for the past 2 years. I do 1200 jumpropes reps per day, 4-5xs per week, interspersed between my weightlifting.

4 sets no-to-minimal rest between exercises:
300 jumpropes
Deadlifts at 185 lbs.
Farmer's walk 1 min.
Shrugs
Thanks lol. Can you break this down?
4 sets between weightlifting or?

speed dawg

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
If you want to look like a boxer, do what Bible Belt said and, uh.....box.

Infern0

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I've lost 9 pounds down to 230 at 5"10 and some change. I've Manly mixed up random cardio machines and kettlebell workouts and battle ropes.

I want to gain a boxers physique similar to Brad pitt in fight club but more shredded.

Do you think a 30 minute 3x5 session followed by a 30 minute kettlebell is too much for one day. Keeping it fresh is important the 4th day will just be cardio.
Full body weight lifting 3 times a week 1 day half kettlebell and weights. Next battle ropes jump ropes and weights. 3rd day 3x5 weights again and some form of cardio.
Sounds good?
Everything there sounds terrible no offence.

The Brad Pitt in fight Club physique is just a very lean physique with not that much muscle. You being a 230lb man its going to be very very difficult to achieve that because of your body type not being Brad Pitts

But what you want to do is forget your 3x5 routine which is a strength based rep range and go 4x10-12 which is a muscle building rep range. Forget full body workouts as well and go for the Bro split, otherwise you aren't going to recover enough to max out each session.

Bro split 5x a week

Chest+triceps
Back+biceps
Off
Shoulders+arms
Legs
Off

And most crucial is your diet, you will need to be in a deficit for MONTHS. Look into intermittent fasting if you want to make that more tolerable. You want a slow and steady dropping on the scale, 1-2lb a week MAX

The battle ropes and all that other gimmicky stuff, it's OK for your general fitness but it's actually going to do barely anything for fat loss

A 30 minutes session of that will burn like 300 calories

OR you can just eat 300 calories less that day for the same results.

Be aware to get to the level of lean that BP was in fight club is probably going to take you longer than a year, and also be aware he was on steroids to achieve that physique

GrowingPains

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
It doesn't matter what you do as long as you do something.

You're at the point where you just need to be moving consistently. Key word, consistently. You can worry about the details of that rep range is right or wrong or better for this or that later.

There was a comment about urging you to do more. But if you burn out early you won't reach your goal. Play the long game. Keep it simple and do something you find manageable and slightly enjoyable that you can stick to.

And focus really hard on what you eat. Again, pick something you can stick to. Not something hardcore. You need to build momentum first. Crawl now, sprint later.

Everyone will have their opinions about what workout you should do and what you should eat. The thing is you need to pick what you believe in or else you won't do it consistently if you aren't bought into it.

Chris Jones has a series called sh!t to fit on youtube, id recommend that as he keeps it very simple and is a professional.

GrowingPains

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I should also add on to the point of worrying about the details later:

You are a beginner. This is a good thing though because beginners are the ones making the most gains (naturally) as far as muscle mass goes because their body isn't adapted to working out yet. This is why you don't need anything fancy. Hell you can eat maintenance calories, workout and you will still start to look better because your body will re-comp (recomposition of muscle and bodyfat) and you will get beginner gains.

This also means you should train like a beginner. You don't want to hurt yourself or leave the gym feeling like you never want to do what you just did again. Because both of those things keep you out of the gym. Don't let your ego get in the way of your goals.

PeasantPlayer

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Everything there sounds terrible no offence.

The Brad Pitt in fight Club physique is just a very lean physique with not that much muscle. You being a 230lb man its going to be very very difficult to achieve that because of your body type not being Brad Pitts

But what you want to do is forget your 3x5 routine which is a strength based rep range and go 4x10-12 which is a muscle building rep range. Forget full body workouts as well and go for the Bro split, otherwise you aren't going to recover enough to max out each session.

Bro split 5x a week

Chest+triceps
Back+biceps
Off
Shoulders+arms
Legs
Off

And most crucial is your diet, you will need to be in a deficit for MONTHS. Look into intermittent fasting if you want to make that more tolerable. You want a slow and steady dropping on the scale, 1-2lb a week MAX

The battle ropes and all that other gimmicky stuff, it's OK for your general fitness but it's actually going to do barely anything for fat loss

A 30 minutes session of that will burn like 300 calories

OR you can just eat 300 calories less that day for the same results.

Be aware to get to the level of lean that BP was in fight club is probably going to take you longer than a year, and also be aware he was on steroids to achieve that physique
5 times a week is alot

PeasantPlayer

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Probably going to continue with my diet and cardio and kettlebell until I reach 155 160 and then do compound exercises

PeasantPlayer

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Why would you wait until then to do compound exercises?
Because there's is too many different opinions on what to do how to do it and when to do it. I'm fat and need to lose fat, but not muscle. Cardio burns a lot of fat and muscle. If anything this I might do what this youtube comment says make most sense to me Screenshot_20190116-041339_YouTube.jpg

Infern0

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Because there's is too many different opinions on what to do how to do it and when to do it. I'm fat and need to lose fat, but not muscle. Cardio burns a lot of fat and muscle. If anything this I might do what this youtube comment says make most sense to me
That comment is absoloutley ridiculous

so to lose fat and gain muscle at 230 you are going to be eating in a surplus every day you lift?

Total nonsense, the only time you should be eating a surplus is on refeed days approx once every 2 weeks.

Anyway, i've given you a proven strategy, it's up to you what you do.

PeasantPlayer

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
That comment is absoloutley ridiculous

so to lose fat and gain muscle at 230 you are going to be eating in a surplus every day you lift?

Total nonsense, the only time you should be eating a surplus is on refeed days approx once every 2 weeks.

Anyway, i've given you a proven strategy, it's up to you what you do.
I like it but don't see why I can't do full-body