Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

What's your watch?

AmsterdamAssassin

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I have a cellphone but I don't usually carry it into places with me, I usually leave it in the car.
And that would be a pretty good opener if you're asking for the time. Still, talking about the time is not a very sexy conversation starter, even if a skilled conversationalist could probably spin it into a date.

Anyway, do you use a watch, zekko?

zekko

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Anyway, do you use a watch, zekko?
Rarely. Hopefully if I need to know the time there's a clock somewhere in the place. If not, you can always ask somebody for the time.

Captain Redbeard

Don Juan
Reaction score
whatever is cheaper
Depends on your budget I guess. There are cheap replicas ($50-100) that will have the general appearance but will not hold up under close inspection and YMMV on reliability if you actually want the thing to tell time. A top of the line replica is somewhere in the $600-1k range. They are pretty much indistinguishable from the real thing unless you are a professional watch dealer (and even they sometimes get taken by fakes). I don't have a replica but do your research before purchasing as they are many deceptive ads and sellers out there.

As far as other brands, almost everyone has a dive watch or chronograph that is somewhat inspired by the submariner or daytona. Look up homage watches if you want designs with the most inspiration.

Millard Fillmore

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
A watch repairman told me that most watches regardless of price are made in the same handful of factories (mostly in Asia). Not sure if it's true or not.

AmsterdamAssassin

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
A watch repairman told me that most watches regardless of price are made in the same handful of factories (mostly in Asia). Not sure if it's true or not.
Well, that depends on the watch.
It's just like with sunglasses, most sunglasses are now made by Luxottica.
Luxottica Umbrella poster with all their brands.jpeg

And most quartz watches have Seiko movements. However, Orient makes their own mechanical watches. And the upper tier watches, like Audemars Piguet, make their own movements.
Just like Moscot and Serengeti still make their own lenses, whereas Ray-Ban was bought up by Luxottica and is now made in Italy, not the U.S.

It's not a big deal, Seiko supplies excellent movements, and pretty much every brand will note under the specs what movement the watch uses.

Here's a link to an article about watches with 'in-house movements'.

From that article:
Many luxury brands manufacture their movements themselves, including Rolex, Vacheron Constantin, Audemars Piguet, and Patek Philippe.

Other luxury brands use prestigious manufacturers, including:

ETA
This is the most famous Swiss manufacturer. Swatch owns ETA, but it has also provided movements for other high-end brands throughout history — Omega, Breitling, Longines, Hamilton, Tissot, Rado, Panerai, Sinn, TAG Heuer, Oris, and even Uniform Wares!

Miyota
Miyota is a Japanese manufacturer that was founded by Citizen in 1959. It’s used by Halios, Zeppelin, Helson, and Obris Morgan.

Seiko
Seiko is known for manufacturing some of the best movements out there. Many luxury brands use Seiko movements, including Breitling, Armida, and Invicta.

Last edited:

9-3enthusiast

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
That's VERY nice.
And it has the titanium case too - I hadn't realised that from your PMs...
For me, the titanium case, and the vintage look to the face/dial.... BIG thumbs-up :up:

AmsterdamAssassin

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
For me, the titanium case, and the vintage look to the face/dial.... BIG thumbs-up :up:
Plus the original boxes and paperwork from 2016; it has an ETA automatic movement and comes with three leather straps; and one military green / red stripe NATO strap.
I pulled the trigger. 310 euro, including shipping.
Considering the new titanium Steinhart 44 are 1500 euro, pretty sweet deal.

Last edited:

AmsterdamAssassin

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
According to the information on the back it has an ETA 2824-2 movement, but they come in 4 'grades' :

There are four grades available with the main differences being how the watches are tested at the factory, the finish, the mainspring, the hairspring, and the anti-shock device used. Let’s compare the grades below:

Standard Grade:
Adjusted in two positions; Nickel plated balance wheel; Nivarox hairspring; ETACHOC / Novodiac anti-shock device; polyrubies used for pallet jewels.

Elaborated (Elabore) Grade:
Adjusted in three positions; Nickel plated balance wheel; Nivarox hairspring; ETACHOC / Novodiac anti-shock device; polyrubies used for pallet jewels.

Top Grade:
Adjusted in five positions; Glucydur balance wheel; Anachron hairspring; Incabloc anti-shock device; red rubies used for pallet jewels.

Chronometer Grade:
Adjusted in five positions; COSC specs; Glucydur balance wheel; Anachron hairspring; Incabloc anti-shock device; red rubies used for pallet jewels.

All grades have the same diameter, height, jewel count, frequency, and power reserve.

ACCURACY:
The expected accuracy of the ETA caliber 2824-2 depends on the grade.

• Standard – +/-12 seconds per day up to +/- 30 sec/day
  • Elaborated – +/-7 seconds per day up to +/- 20 sec/day
  • Top – +/-4 seconds per day up to +/- 15 sec/day
  • Chronometer COSC spec
The average for this caliber is the +/12 seconds per day range since most of the 2824-2 movements out in the wild are the Standard grade.
Source: https://calibercorner.com/eta-caliber-2824-2/
I didn't want to open my watch to check and I doubt I could see differences, so instead I adjusted the time yesterday to the atomic clock on internet at 12.30 Amsterdam time.
I just checked and my Steinhart was +4 seconds fast, so I can presume it's the Top Grade version. :cool:

9-3enthusiast

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Yep, the 2824-2 is a solid workhorse movement..
Loads of well-known companies use it - From Tudor, to Hamilton, to TAG... Orient, etc....
My Stowa B-type has it, also my Steinhart A-type - The Stowa loses about 3 sec a day - not checked the Steiny, but I suspect it's around 3 to 7 sec plus or minus.

Being automatic, they obviously stop if you don't wear it for a couple of days... IIRC the 2824-2 is quoted to have a reserve of 36 (maybe 38..?) hours... In reality I've known them go a little longer...
You can kick start it with the winder, though personally I only do that if it has fully stopped, and even then just give a couple of turns to get it going - A few hours on the wrist and the reserve is back up near full again.

I do like that one you bought AA - Bargain!
Box and tag are identical to what my A-type was supplied in.

AmsterdamAssassin

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
My Stowa B-type has it, also my Steinhart A-type - The Stowa loses about 3 sec a day - not checked the Steiny, but I suspect it's around 3 to 7 sec plus or minus.
Someone told me that it was a good deal that my Steinhart was the version with the 2824-2, as the new(er) ones are made with different movements that are only hand winding and require more regular service for wear and tear.

Being automatic, they obviously stop if you don't wear it for a couple of days... IIRC the 2824-2 is quoted to have a reserve of 36 (maybe 38..?) hours... In reality I've known them go a little longer...
You can kick start it with the winder, though personally I only do that if it has fully stopped, and even then just give a couple of turns to get it going - A few hours on the wrist and the reserve is back up near full again.
Yes, I read that it's best to only use hand winding when it's totally stopped or when the second hand starts to skip indicating low charge. And to only give the crown enough winding (<10 rotations) and let the rest to the automatic rotor. You can also wind it quickly by holding the automatic watch by the strap dial down and swirl the watch around like you're stirring soup.

I do like that one you bought AA - Bargain!
Box and tag are identical to what my A-type was supplied in.
Yes, I think it's the authentic real deal. Very happy with it. And with the two extra leather bands I can vary the look also.

Funny story:
My 13-year old daughter goes to the second grade of Gymnasium.
She loved my watch and also that I wore it on the inside of my wrist, especially after the explanation why that was better (except for office/desk work when you might bang your watch on your desk.
Steinhart Flieger Navigator B-Uhr 44mm 107-405 Type B Titan on inside wrist.jpeg
So she told me she also wanted a watch, especially because the kids in school are not allowed to have their phones on their desks. And she wants to know the time, since many of the school clocks are not dependable.
So I gave her a blue Certina DS watch with a rotating bezel (outer ring) like a dive watch. She was super happy, because the outer ring can be adjusted so she knows exactly when the class ends even now that they have only 40 minute classes this week.
One of her friends commented on the inside wrist watch and my daughter just said, 'give me one good reason why the outside of the wrist would be better'. And her friend said, 'so others can see your watch?'.
My daughter laughed at that and her friend now also wants a watch and wear it on the inside of the wrist.

AmsterdamAssassin

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Today I installed a 'deployment clasp' on one of the spare straps. This basically turns the leather strap into a link-wristband:

Steinhart deployment clasp vlinder crown down.jpeg
Steinhart deployment clasp vlinder right wrist watch plus tattoo.jpeg Steinhart deployment clasp vlinder right wrist buckle up.jpeg

lamath

Master Don Juan
Reaction score

Attachments

Last edited:

AmsterdamAssassin

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Although the deployment strap worked very well, I dislike metal against my skin, so I found a leather bracelet strap for the Steinhart that worked almost like a Bund strap.
And I found a cheap Seiko SNK807 with the original strap that I put in the laundry. In the meantime it got a black/red NATO.

Orient Seiko Steinhart from underneath.jpeg Orient Seiko Steinhart from above.jpeg Orient Seiko Steinhart from above Lumen dark.jpeg

AmsterdamAssassin

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Another nice find:

I bought this elegant little Junghans quartz watch with date.
The leather band is totally worn, looks to be 18mm.
Width of the watch with crown is 36mm.
Lug to lug is 40mm.
I had the battery changed at Mio in Amsterdam and requested a photo of the movement.
I hope someone can tell me when this watch was made. And maybe the value, although that is not important for me.
Junghans dial 36mm wide 40mm long.jpeg Junghans caseback.jpeg Junghans movement photo.jpeg