What is the best fighting style? Lets settle this once and for all

wolf116

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Man, I do BJJ (and other sh!t). but seriosly, imagine trying to armbar someone in the street with someone else kicking you in the head. BJJ only works on one opponent. But on the street there is alyays more. You need to stand up!!

DJDamage

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
wolf116 said:
BJJ only works on one opponent. But on the street there is alyays more. You need to stand up!!
That is why beside knowing how to fight you need to learn how to use your skills and everything around you based on a given situation.

I think this guy can say it better:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p_cyPIJBjSE

Reyaj

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Any BJJ practioncers ever use this on a street fight?

Please share your experiences.

Since this is all about ground game I picture it being hard to use in a real street fight... but I could be wrong...

navyseal2101

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Well, for street fighting Krav Maga and Systema are very effective. Also i'm learning BJJ for MMA fights, as it has alot of good holds, but the best i've experienced was Systema, alot of people say its BS, but it really isnt, go to a lesson and youll soon find out how effective it is. Systema also has alot of similarities to Ninjujutsu which is also very good. Wrestling is not good, b/c grappling against a knife will get you killed. Systema will fgive you really good all around fighting, breaking holds, taking out knife and gun threats, ground fighting, and you learn how to hit hard and correctly. I would say BJJ and Systema hybrid is the best.

Reyaj

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
navy do you think BJJ could work in a real street fight though? with the concrete being hard it just seems like it might not be practical. Any elboration you can give would be appreciated.

bigjohnson

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
This sort of fascination with "the best fighting style" is not only disturbing but pointless outside the context of competition or (to a much lesser degree) combat. The best fighting style for street fighting is practicing the situational awareness to avoid situations that lead to fights in the street.

Also don't bring bare hands to a knife fight or a knife to a gunfight.

navyseal2101

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Uh, yea, BJJ like I said i'm maily learning for MMA. On the street I trust Systema, Krav Maga is less effective imo. BJJ would be goos for 1 unarmed opponent, when systema trains you for multiple armed and bigger opponents. BJJ mixed would mainly be for better offense, but ultimatly if im on the street I would use the Kadochnikov sytem, as it's more offensive and practical. Aslo BJJ is mailny a ground style, and in the street the ground is the last place you want to be.

mpimpin

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
bigjohnson said:
Also don't bring bare hands to a knife fight or a knife to a gunfight.

Your at less of an advantage, but if you know how to use your weapon whether that be your fist or knife in those situations you can come out on top. I'm handy with all sorts of knives and would probably choose one as my weapon of choice in any fight. I'm crazy enough to bring a knife to a gunfight.:rockon:

bigjohnson

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
It depends on who's holding the gun I guess, but if the other person is at all proficient you will have 2-6 holes in you by the time you realize it was a gunfight. The gun comes out AFTER the shoot/no-shoot choice is made, you know.

EDIT:

I don't mean to imply Having a Gun (c) is a sure fire way to Win at Fighting (tm) at all, but it's true that a person who is aware of his situation and who has a gun and is trained in it's use has a serious advantage. In real life all sorts of unexpected things CAN happen, but fluke occurrences are not the way to bet.

Best policy: Avoid such situations. Even a completely justified homicide will cost you at least $50,000 and a lifetime of emotional distress.

Suicide

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
This is the stupidest threat ever. There is no "best" fighting style. The number of variables are enormous. I think you can rule out a few outliers, but generally, there are so many factors that it is impossible to choose one style that outperforms another.

bigjohnson

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Suicide said:
This is the stupidest threat ever. There is no "best" fighting style. The number of variables are enormous. I think you can rule out a few outliers, but generally, there are so many factors that it is impossible to choose one style that outperforms another.
What he said.

speakeasy

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Almost any fighting system would be good in the streets IF YOU ARE USING AGAINST AN UNTRAINED FIGHTER. Most people who have had no fight training can't fight worth a lick, by that I mean no understanding of footwork, how to load a punch without telegraphing your move, how to base out if you are clinched, that kind of stuff. Could a guy that's a black belt in Tae Kwon Do kick ass in the street against some bully who knows no fighting system? Yes, probably so.

Now if we're talking about on trained fighter versus another, then that's a different story. A guy doing TKD for 5 years versus a guy doing Muay Thai for 5 years, the TKD guy will get his ass handed to him. Brazilian Jujitsu is very effective against someone who doesn't know what they're doing on the ground, assuming it's a one on one fight. Any ground fight system must always be one on one. I'm not aware of any such system that teaches you to fight multiple people while on our back.

FYI - "Kickboxing" is sort of a made up word, it's not an official system of fighting. Seems to me that it's just Muay Thai with regulations against using elbows and knee strikes.

navyseal2101

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Dude, there are 2 systems for multiple opponents, armed too, I just stated Krav Maga and Systema. And like you said on your back, Systema teaches you how to evade attacks and fight succesfully on the ground in such a situation. Both are effective. Speakeasy I see what your saying about the first part but you should research a bit on the rest, as i'm sure Krav and Systema arn't the only ones, i'll look into this more on NBSMA.

speakeasy

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I am taking Krav Maga currently, have been for the past year and a half, in fact just got my orange belt a couple days ago.

They teach some ground techniques and while effective, they aren't for fighting against more than one person at a time, but number one they teach us to stay off the ground if at all possible.

navyseal2101

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Well I hope you dont think I mean Krav had the ground fighting, that was multiple opponents, which you would know about with the hitting and moving drill in Krav practices. Anyway, for fighting in systema, there is no real technique per say, its more flowing, idk if you have seen videos. There used to be a video on youtube of ground fighting in systema against multiple opponents, but i'm not sure if it was removed, I will look though. I also own a DVD about the basics of systema, for when I first started, and basicly it shows you how to move in defense and escape the situation, then the rest is up to you as usual. Its hard to explain but i'll search for a movie.
EDIT: Not the vid, but another one of the basics of it, look at 3:20 Systema Video
Also there is one of a guy taking I think 12 adversaries simutaniously, its shot on an airstation, i'll look for that one too.

Suicide

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
speakeasy said:
Now if we're talking about on trained fighter versus another, then that's a different story. A guy doing TKD for 5 years versus a guy doing Muay Thai for 5 years, the TKD guy will get his ass handed to him. Brazilian Jujitsu is very effective against someone who doesn't know what they're doing on the ground, assuming it's a one on one fight. Any ground fight system must always be one on one. I'm not aware of any such system that teaches you to fight multiple people while on our back.
A fighter than knew what they were doing would never end up in such a foolish situation.

Frankly I seriously doubt that any of you have enough experience or the qualifications to really comment on this. Leave it to the professionals--every martial arts teacher worth his salt will tell you that it is an absolute impossibility to classify one system as being better than another except under extremely well defined circumstances.

I have been teaching martial arts for several years and have trained constantly since I was 13 years old. I've been a student of and trained with some of the best guys and biggest names in the business. The guys that really know what they are doing will just laugh in your face when you try and tell them that one martial art is absolutely better than another one.

Sorry to come off like an *******, but this is an issue that hits pretty close to him and really irritates professional martial artists.

blackbelt2k

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
speakeasy said:

FYI - "Kickboxing" is sort of a made up word, it's not an official system of fighting. Seems to me that it's just Muay Thai with regulations against using elbows and knee strikes.

I don't know why you guys keep bashing on TKD... maybe you haven't spent sufficient training in any art long enough to see that they are ALL THE SAME.. you think BJJ has anything TKD, kunfu, karate doesn't?? all the locks are the same, just applied on the ground.. You think muy tai is the only art that uses knees and low kicks?? Check your history, the king of tailand inivted over a KOREAN grandmaster to teach the tai army. No one art is better, it all depends on the fighter and their ability.

check this guy out... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NBdtzh8y7sc