Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

What is the best fighting style? Lets settle this once and for all

Reyaj

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Tae Kwon Do is flashy but isn't very practical for self defense.

That video looks nice, but do a google search for that guy. You will see he has a losing record.

When compard against other arts Tae Kwon Do has a poor winning percentage.

bigjohnson

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Suicide said:
A fighter than knew what they were doing would never end up in such a foolish situation.

Frankly I seriously doubt that any of you have enough experience or the qualifications to really comment on this. Leave it to the professionals--every martial arts teacher worth his salt will tell you that it is an absolute impossibility to classify one system as being better than another except under extremely well defined circumstances.
I'd go even further and say that the only way to win at street fighting is to not do it. Once one is involved the losing begins. Everyone involved will lose something. The only "fighting style" that will win at street fighting is situational awareness and avoidance.

If one is unlucky or stupid and finds himself involved in such a fight the goals are (1) survive and (2) disengage as soon as possible. Dreaming up any other scenarios and playing them out is just so much mental masturbation.

Reyaj

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
BigJohnson I agree that fighting shouldn't happen because few things are worth it.

Unfortunately we don't live in a perfect society and fighting can happen to anyone.

Say you were with your girl in some remote area, maybe at a scenic romantic setting. Then say some guy happens to be there also notices her and starts hitting on her. Fine you can ignore him or whatever, but say he starts getting really rude and he grabs her arm.....

YOu going to seriously talk your way out of that one? I'd punch that guy right in the mouth.

bigjohnson

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Jayer said:
BigJohnson I agree that fighting shouldn't happen because few things are worth it.

Unfortunately we don't live in a perfect society and fighting can happen to anyone.

Say you were with your girl in some remote area, maybe at a scenic romantic setting. Then say some guy happens to be there also notices her and starts hitting on her. Fine you can ignore him or whatever, but say he starts getting really rude and he grabs her arm.....

YOu going to seriously talk your way out of that one? I'd punch that guy right in the mouth.
This is not something that is going to happen out of the blue - once this level has been reached you are already guilty of not being aware of the developing situation.

The two of you exit before it becomes actionable.

Planning for anything else (10,000,000:1 situations) is mental masturbation of the highest degree. If through some incredible mischance you are on the scene of the VT shooting or something like that you have to either run, hide, or shoot back.

How do you plan for something like this?

blackbelt2k

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Jayer said:
Tae Kwon Do is flashy but isn't very practical for self defense.

That video looks nice, but do a google search for that guy. You will see he has a losing record.

When compard against other arts Tae Kwon Do has a poor winning percentage.
You must have been introduced to some really crappy mcdojo tae kwon do, im sorry.

Suicide

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
bigjohnson said:
I'd go even further and say that the only way to win at street fighting is to not do it. Once one is involved the losing begins. Everyone involved will lose something. The only "fighting style" that will win at street fighting is situational awareness and avoidance.

If one is unlucky or stupid and finds himself involved in such a fight the goals are (1) survive and (2) disengage as soon as possible. Dreaming up any other scenarios and playing them out is just so much mental masturbation.
Yes. If you get in a fight with anyone, no matter how well trained you are or how poorly trained they are, you are still likely to take a few good shots or get injured. If you get into a knife fight, count on getting stabbed no matter how well trained you are. If you try a gun disarm, count on getting shot. If you don't, you got extremely lucky. It's that simple.

Training/style/whatever isn't everything. It is ABSOLUTELY impossible to win 100% of the time even in controlled training. Take that out on the street and your odds decrease markedly. You're lucky to pull out techniques and execute them with even 30-40% of the skill level that you have in a training environment on the street.

blackbelt2k

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
best fighting style...hands down is a quick sprint the f^ck outta there...and if your with your chick, your strenght better be up to pick her a$$ up and sprint just as fast with her in your arms

Suicide

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
blackbelt2k said:
best fighting style...hands down is a quick sprint the f^ck outta there...and if your with your chick, your strenght better be up to pick her a$$ up and sprint just as fast with her in your arms
Well, I'd argue that fighting does indeed have its place. But you need to know when you can win, whether it's worth it, and what the odds are. Real fights are so unpredictable that you simply cannot count on getting away unscathed, no matter what. You can weigh the dice and train for an advantage, but half of it is simple luck.

bigjohnson

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Suicide said:
Real fights are so unpredictable that you simply cannot count on getting away unscathed, no matter what. You can ... train for an advantage ....
Yes.

There is a place, rarely, for self defense but it's so rare that it's almost vanishingly small. Be aware of your situation, avoid bad situations, and prepare so that you have an advantage should the worst happen.

Always remember that a self defense situation will cost all participants dearly. Avoid avoid avoid.

speakeasy

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
bigjohnson said:

Sorry, that's just crap. If everyone thought like you, every bully and assh*le would have free reign to do what it wants knowing that no one will ever strike back. Do you know what would instantly stop bullying in school? If every kid he bullied learned some MMA and used it to defend himself. That would get rid of bullying real quick.

speakeasy

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
blackbelt2k said:
Unless your attacker is in a wheelchair, what on earth is stopping him from sprinting after you?

bigjohnson

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
speakeasy said:
Sorry, that's just crap. If everyone thought like you, every bully and assh*le would have free reign to do what it wants knowing that no one will ever strike back.
We're not (mostly) children anymore. We have rule of law and we have freedom of movement. If it's immediate and life threatening then one has already lost and the goal is survival, not winning.

Bullies? You're joking, right? Has someone tried to take your lunch money recently?

speakeasy

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
bigjohnson said:
We're not (mostly) children anymore. We have rule of law and we have freedom of movement. If it's immediate and life threatening then one has already lost and the goal is survival, not winning.

Bullies? You're joking, right? Has someone tried to take your lunch money recently?
Unless it's clearly a no-win situation like a gang of crips running after me or a dude with an axe in his hand, then I'd rather get my ass beat fighting back and have the dignity of having stood up for myself then run off like a sissy. It's hard to respect a man who won't hold his ground.

Suicide

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
speakeasy said:
Unless it's clearly a no-win situation like a gang of crips running after me or a dude with an axe in his hand, then I'd rather get my ass beat fighting back and have the dignity of having stood up for myself then run off like a sissy. It's hard to respect a man who won't hold his ground.
In addition to likely getting your ass kicked, there are a plethora of legal implications for even participating in a fight these days that are reason enough to walk away.

You're better off staying out of anything you can. You think girls will respect you when you get the **** kicked out of you? They'll think much higher of guys who have the wits and cool to keep out of situations like that. You sound like you're in high school.

blackbelt2k

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
speakeasy said:
Unless your attacker is in a wheelchair, what on earth is stopping him from sprinting after you?
I can tell you have never been jumped by a real gang. First off, they WON'T have the same adreneline as you pumping, since its your life in danger. 2nd, most gang members are drop outs, and just big, not fast, just big. 3rd, I can find my 5th gear, majority of people cannot...

speakeasy

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Suicide said:
In addition to likely getting your ass kicked, there are a plethora of legal implications for even participating in a fight these days that are reason enough to walk away.

You're better off staying out of anything you can. You think girls will respect you when you get the **** kicked out of you? They'll think much higher of guys who have the wits and cool to keep out of situations like that. You sound like you're in high school.
My martial arts instructer was telling us how we have to be prepared at all times. He told how one time he was just standing there on the sidewalk and some dude walked up and slugged him for no reason whatsoever. So what's he to do? Run away crying? Or defend himself?

bigjohnson

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
speakeasy said:
My martial arts instructer was telling us how we have to be prepared at all times. He told how one time he was just standing there on the sidewalk and some dude walked up and slugged him for no reason whatsoever. So what's he to do? Run away crying? Or defend himself?
Odd how a person with a vested interest in folks being prepared for just such an occasion is one of the vanishingly rare few who experience it. Even if true (I doubt it happened just like that) this is not typical. It's practically a perfect setup. All the training in the world won't keep him from bleeding out when someone randomly decides "for no reason" to sever his renal artery. :yawn:

Reyaj

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Again, look up that Tae Kwon Do guy's record. He has a losing record. Therefore Tae Kwon Do is not a good fighting style when compared to others. Sure they show his highlights but a BJJ or a good boxer would put this guy out of his misery.

BigJohnson you know something I actually took your advice today and I feel like ****.

I was at the basketball court just shooting around and some guys asked me if I wanted to play a game. Well I agreed what the hell.

So this one guy I was covering started playing like really dirty. He'd like push me with his hand when he was driving and bump into me. He even started taunting me to cover him better. Then one time he kind of like slapped my chest after he scored a basket. Anyway I kept cool and even extended my hand to the prick after the game.

But I really wanted to slap this kid. The thing is he was with his friends and I was with no one so starting something would have been dumb.

How would you all handle that situation?

bigjohnson

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
It's a freaking game - give it back to him.

When you start talking street fighting I assume you're talking gouged eyes, broken bones, blood and death, not slapping at each other in a physical sport. :rolleyes: For what it's worth I don't see this as even a situation, unless you're really insecure or something. Sounds like you took the high road, maybe he's too dense to appreciate it.

Do you wish you'd decked him, really? Over a little pushing in a basketball game? You think you need a damn blackbelt to hold your own in a game of basketball you have serious issues.

Wow.