Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

What is the best fighting style? Lets settle this once and for all

Reyaj

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Ok everyone here has a different opinion on what is the best fighting style. I would like to master one and I want to hear some real feedback on this. Has anyone had any experience with it in a street fight? I am going to list a few popular styles and write my thoughts on them. I want to hear others chime in here.

Wrestling:
Based on UFC and Ultimate fighting this seems to be the most affective style. You figure most fights end up on the ground so this style only makes sense as being perhaps the best.

Boxing:
This style isn't used in UFC since Boxers actually box. Although I did hear there is some ex undefeated boxer who will partake in UFC. We will see how this goes. This style seems good in that you can knock a person out and the fight is pretty much over. However someone that strictly knows boxing and ends up being taken down in a fight probably will have a lot of trouble. That is my criticsim with this as self defense.

Kick Boxing:
This seems to be another successful style. You can definitely knock people out like boxing. However like boxing, this also lacks ground skills.

Brazilian Jiu Jitsu:
This style has submission techniques that can end a fight either on foot, or on the ground. However this lacks both punching and wrestling which are two vital street fighting skills.

My point...

What is the best style to learn for street fighting????

undesputable

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
i think it depends on you... some people say the best fighting style would be to combine muay thai and BJJ, but if youre bad at it, you might loose to anyone else who at least has an idea about fighting. what im trying to say is that the best fighting style is the one that fits you the best. I do both boxing and jui jitsu, many say jui jitsu is better, but if i got in a fight i would use boxing cause im better at boxing, so boxing is the best fighting style for ME.

Bible_Belt

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
My vote is wrestling. The ufc had to change their rules over the years, because the early matches were ground, pound & choke. Plus, throwing bare-knuckle punches is a good way to break knuckles. Wrestling has a steep learning curve in that after a month or so, a person can really kick the ass of someone else who has never wrestled.

Wyldfire

Banned
Reaction score
What is the best style to learn for street fighting????

marksmanship :D

TTom

Don Juan
Reaction score
Striking - Muay Thai, since it combines boxing (not very well most of the time, IMO), elbows, knee's, and lastly, legs (those nasty, nasty MT kicks).

Personally I'm in Amateur boxing, record of 0-1 :D and too busy at school to seriously pursue more of it at the moment. However as much as I love amateur boxing, I realize it is limiting in regards to what you can use.

As for Wrestling - I have no experience in ground arts, but honest to god you sound like a nut-rider, seriously. I've heard mixed opinions about which is better, BJJ or Wrestling, and at higher levels, I'm inclined to believe BJJ is *superior*. However in terms of "stuff to learn quickly" wrestling would probably take the cake.

There are several different *distances* in fighting. Striking, Clinch, and Ground. Although I don't (personally) think Judo is the "best" fighting style, being able to throw people around on pavement/other hard surfaces is definitely always a good thing.

Best overall fighting style? Possibly Vale-Tudo, since (I've only heard remember) that it combines all three distances of fighting.

*shrugs*

-Tom

Reyaj

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Yeah boxing is definitely something I like doing as well. But I have to say that wrestling is a sick style if you are good at it. I used to clown around with my roomate who wrestled. He is smaller than me but he was able to do some sick moves. However if we were to get in a real fight, I'd try to knock him out with boxing.

I guess you are right about the style depending on you. Has anyone here ever been in a street fight? I know you say you'd tihnk you'd use boxing, and the thing is I think I would wrestle because that's something thats natural. Like lets say you threw a punch, missed and the other person grabs a hold of you, what would you do then? This is where boxing pretty much becomes useless.

Also, what is submission fighting? guys like Tito Ortiz and Shamrock seem to use this style.

undesputable

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by Jayer
Yeah boxing is definitely something I like doing as well. But I have to say that wrestling is a sick style if you are good at it. I used to clown around with my roomate who wrestled. He is smaller than me but he was able to do some sick moves. However if we were to get in a real fight, I'd try to knock him out with boxing.

I guess you are right about the style depending on you. Has anyone here ever been in a street fight? I know you say you'd tihnk you'd use boxing, and the thing is I think I would wrestle because that's something thats natural. Like lets say you threw a punch, missed and the other person grabs a hold of you, what would you do then? This is where boxing pretty much becomes useless.

Also, what is submission fighting? guys like Tito Ortiz and Shamrock seem to use this style.
yea ive been in a couple of fights, most of them werent really threats although they looked like it. most people will just stand there with their hands down trying to push or something. Why waste time going to the ground and wrestle when you can have a punch flying into their face, because their hands are down. and even if you were already fighting ive noticed that they still leave the hands down, and you can still nail them and it wouldnt be seen as a sucker punch. i think fights go to the ground because of hesitation to throw that big right hand to their jaw... if you have big balls and dont hesitate, they wont even see it coming, theyll be watching stars before they see your hand.

Bible_Belt

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
imo, the key to punching is don't reach back. Also, regarding wrestling, if you are trying to take someone down, you have to shoot from the side. If you pick up a leg from in front, they just raise the leg, and the two of you hop around like gay flamingos. There are wrestling throws, as well. A simple fireman's carry body-slam onto pavement can be deadly..

penkitten

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
the most entertaining fighting style ive seen is what i call "jerry springer style"
it is demonstrated during each and every episode with lots of profanity and name calling, boob flashing, obese, illiterate, illigitimate hicks who all get paid one limo ride all expense paid weekend to do the show.

undesputable

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by Jayer
undesputable good point. When you go to punch someone with the big right... are you throwing a straight right hand, or a right hook?
oh of course the straight right....but its even better if you jab down at their stomach and it doesnt matter if it connects or not, it just has to serve as a fake. then throw the big right to the jaw or nose, immediatly, and by immediatly i mean start throwing the right while the left is coming back.

i got this move engraved in my mind because of boxing, and the first thing i would do when i get in a fight is that and not even think about it. it almost always ends the fight right there.

Soprano

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
If you want to protect yourself on the street - knock them out as fast as you can then make it clear the fight is over.

For this, I'd think boxing/kickboxing, and learn a few ways to get into some sort of standing armbar, because in a street fight you don't want to put yourself on the ground ever

SELF-MASTERY

Banned
Reaction score
wwII COMBATIVES MIXED WITH some kind of ground work.

You also need the proper mind state to destroy a bad guy/ If your a punk as.s, your not going to become a superthug by training. Be resourceful use whatever tools that are available, pencil to the eye, desk to the head, on and on........

selfdefenseforums.com

learn riot control baton work, it can be used with a myriad of tools....

kill kill kill

Lost In Translation

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
FIGHTING

if you want to be a good fighter watch the UFC and Boxing

you will see the most successful mix strong ground fighting skills with a good stand up game

good ground fighting style : BJJ

good stand up : kickboxing muay thai

NOW BACK TO REALITY

UFC is a fair fight. you are fighting someone who is the same weight as you

you have a big a$$ ref to break the fight up after you get knocked out

ON THE STREETS it's a different ball game

THE GROUND IS THE LAST PLACE YOU WANT TO BE

i have never been in a fair fight on the streets

always 2 or more and even 10 - 30 people trying to kill me

yes KILL ME

when you on the ground PEOPLE JUMP ON YOUR HEAD

PEOPLE USE WEAPONS

a man weighs 100 kilos and he is jumping on your head while you are there ALREADY INCONSCIOUS

how do you beat a gang of 7 16 year old street kids trying to roll you ?

make them scream

you gotta hurt them FAST and SERIOUS

look for the ring leader and make him scream

MAKE AN EXAMPLE OF ONE OF THEM

break the nose kick the groin poke the eye USE A WEAPON ON HIM

i prefer weapons. anything i can get my hands.

baseball bat, tennis racket ( turned sideways ), brick, pen, knife, spoon , hammer , stick

once i ripped off a fence paling off a wooden fence and was able to chase off 3 guys my size

you fight on the streets most often they will have weapons as well

for street fighting i would say boxing and kick boxing would serve you best

having ground skills is important too so i recommend BJJ

you need to get up off the ground as soon as possible

RUNNING AWAY IS A GOOD OPTION

but it's not always an option

mental toughness is what will take you over the finish line

the will to win

refusing to be knocked out

when you been hit in the head 20 times and you lost your breath you get that feeling

it would be so nice to give up....

no more pain... to drift into unconsciousness...

but i have never considered that an option

i know even though i would not harm those who are unconscious

I HAVE SEEN MANY GANGS JUMP UP AND DOWN ON PEOPLES HEADS

i know my opponents have no honour and do not fight fair

you must not give up ever

it is life and death on the street

my advice that would serve you best on the streets is to

AVOID FIGHTS

yes there are always signs

learn to know what to look for

learn to know what someone is thinking

gangs are pack animals

THEY MOVE LIKE PACK ANIMALS

before an attack they will BEGIN TO CIRCLE to cut off escape

you watch if they are picking fights with other people in the street

PACK ANIMALS PREY ON THE WEAK

they look to see that you are alone

these days i am able to avoid all these situations

but i have been caught a few times by surprise and when that happens you have no choice but to fight

FIGHT DIRTY AND FINISH IT QUICKLY

to train to fight i would say the most important thing is STAMINA

WATCH THE UFC 40 FIGHT KEN SHAMROCK VERSUS TITO ORTIZ

Ken runs out of breath. He has the heart to keep fighting. He refuses through will power alone to be knocked off his feet. He has the strength to fight back BUT

he has no more breath left to fight

the fight is stopped and Ken's head looks like a pizza

IF ONLY KEN HAD TRAINED HIS CARDIO ENOUGH !!!!

good cardio. fights can take alot out of you and the last place you wanna be is winded/trying to draw breath

STRENGTH OR SPEED ?

SPEED high reps better reflexs

same as the asian martial artists train. fast and powerful.

Like Bruce Lee

don't let the big guys who look like Arnold scare you

they may be strong but their punches are usually slower

most people no matter the size have no heart. make it cost them something and they don't want none of what you are dishing out.

thats the best way to stop larger numbers. make an example.

the ones you gotta watch are the skinny white junkies fresh out of jail on bail

people on drugs are a problem

i find drunken people are easy to fight

people on hard drugs are maniacs and can prove difficult

get some skills in martial arts. it's one of the best investments you'll ever make and it may just save your life one day

Lost In Translation :D

**AUSTRALIAN STREET PIMP**

Jay-X

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
to lost in translation:

man, you live in australia, is it that bad over there? i've always been told that australia was a really relaxed place, compared to the states and even to europe...
plus, you are 26, why do you have 16 year old guys trying to kill you?!

finally, are there really people that approach random strangers in the streets, in order to pick fights with them?

Lost In Translation

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Jay-X Australia is alright

every country has bad areas

and Friday and Saturday night can get a bit wild in a few cities

i left home when i was 14 and spent alot of years running around on the streets getting into trouble

i used to hang around the wrong sort of people

you will also see alot of fights outside nightclubs , pubs , train stations and house parties

Bible_Belt

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Great post, lost in translation. Mark Twain said that it is the size of the fight in the dog that matters, not the size of the dog in the fight. You are dead right about taking out the leader first, fighting a pack of dogs is the same.

And whoever was on the other side opposite you in the fight, that is some embarrassing stuff, to get beat up by a guy with a tennis racket and/or a spoon.

the_afc

Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by Lost In Translation
baseball bat, tennis racket ( turned sideways ), brick, pen, knife, spoon , hammer , stick
Also, your home or car keys, espacially your car keys which are longer. You can rip someone's skin with your keys, serious injury. You carry them with you all the time too.

Originally posted by Lost In Translation
STRENGTH OR SPEED ?

SPEED high reps better reflexs
The power is not only based on maze (massles) but on speed too. In car races, martials use tyres on the wall or sand traps to reduce the speed of the car, so the power of the crash is smaller.

the_afc