Gunman kills 21 on Virginia Tech campus

Status
Not open for further replies.

DJDamage

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Wyldfire said:
Know what...that picture reminds me of those suicide bomber videos/pictures. Not saying that's what it is...but it's very reminiscent of those.
What I don't like about this is the fact that the news media is milking this story for everything that is worth and are competing with one another for viewership. I mean I understand the media reporting this but this thing has become like a bad soap drama where we are glued in to find out more and more about this story or the camera trying to capture student crying so they can exploit this story even farther. The fact that this guy send this tape to NBC just goes to show you that he knows this would become the biggest story in America and he wanted to become not only famous but infamous. That is what Terrorists do using the media to farther their cause. There has to be a line where we say, lets stop giving those people all the attention in the world because other's will see and follow suit. Would this guy would have done what he done if Columbine and other school shooting wouldn't have gotten as much media exposure as they did?

Wyldfire

Banned
Reaction score
DJDamage said:
What I don't like about this is the fact that the news media is milking this story for everything that is worth and are competing with one another for viewership. I mean I understand the media reporting this but this thing has become like a bad soap drama where we are glued in to find out more and more about this story or the camera trying to capture student crying so they can exploit this story even farther. The fact that this guy send this tape to NBC just goes to show you that he knows this would become the biggest story in America and he wanted to become not only famous but infamous. That is what Terrorists do using the media to farther their cause. There has to be a line where we say, lets stop giving those people all the attention in the world because other's will see and follow suit. Would this guy would have done what he done if Columbine and other school shooting wouldn't have gotten as much media exposure as they did?
It's bothered me too the way they seem to be hounding the students. The two student interviews that have really bothered me is the bald girl who played dead and the tall thin guy who has the blank look when talking about blocking the door. They showed him again breaking down last night...it finally hit him.

It's going to be a few days of "Whys", and I think those are important. But there also needs to be some "Whats"...meaning what are they going to do to move on and try to prevent a tragedy like this from ever happening again.

Wyldfire

Banned
Reaction score
Well...there are two people who will get a break from being the focus of the media because of this. One is Imus and the other is Shawn Hornbeck. They filed additional charges against Michael Devlin yesterday...and some of the few stories I saw were very disturbing. I'd rather have the media reporting this than ripping Shawn Hornbeck apart some more.

Francisco d'Anconia

Master Don Juan
Reaction score

Wyldfire

Banned
Reaction score
Francisco d'Anconia said:
Yep...I watched it. They say he never names anyone or blames anyone specifically. It seems to be mostly rich kids he rants about. They mentioned drinking and religion as being targets of his ranting too.

What still makes no sense is that the roommate they have been interviewing insists that he tried to talk to him and befriend him and he was just really unresponsive.

He sounds like a paranoid schizophrenic to be honest with you...a bit delusional and likely psychotic too.

wayword

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Wyldfire said:
...but if it's not then who took the picture?
Uh, ever heard of a "self-timer?" :rolleyes:

Interesting...I think this guy might have been a Fundy with a Christ complex. Who was disgusted by the hypocrisy of these wealthy, privileged "Christian" students that "Jesus suffered and died for" who just got drunk and screwed a lot - and felt superior to the "weak & meek."

It's essentially the "Revenge of the Nerds" Columbine syndrome...with some 700 Club thrown in for good measure.

Delta

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
doesn't sound fundy to me. just his attempt at poetic rambling... but it does seem that the cultural associations in his head are christian, not islam as one enthusiastically volatile female is eager to assert.

from the video footage, it seems like he wasn't just an afc but genuinely "off" in his head... one of those guys that doesn't seem all there.

delta

Francisco d'Anconia

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Wyldfire said:
...What still makes no sense is that the roommate they have been interviewing insists that he tried to talk to him and befriend him and he was just really unresponsive.....
I've yet to accept that so many people had attempted to talk with him without getting any response. They make him sound like he was a hermit but yet he was able to get a girlfriend? It doesn't make sense. Perhaps he didn't say anything specific (who does?) but there were obvious signs (some mentioned) which weren't acted upon appropriately.

DJDamage

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I've yet to accept that so many people had attempted to talk with him without getting any response. They make him sound like he was a hermit but yet he was able to get a girlfriend? It doesn't make sense. Perhaps he didn't say anything specific (who does?) but there were obvious signs (some mentioned) which weren't acted upon appropriately.
All the people they interviewd about him were white Americans and so you probably won't get anything from them. There are 500 Koreans students on campus, I am sure he opened himself up to at least a couple of them.

Francisco d'Anconia

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
DJDamage said:
All the people they interviewd about him were white Americans and so you probably won't get anything from them. There are 500 Koreans students on campus, I am sure he opened himself up to at least a couple of them.
Good point. Ironically they are now the ones who are voicing their concern; the concern of having racially motivated retaliation. It's stupid but it's a sign of the times. Some of the students here were talking about this happening on our campus but then we had to evacuate because of the bomb threats.

Reaction score
Deus ex Pianoforte said:
Now why did you have to go and do that? I thought you were cool, man. Then you had to go and disrespect the loss of thousands of American lives with some random conspiracy theory, and use a vile far-left smear site to try to back it up. Unacceptable. Stick with the hors.
You got it backwards - Alex Jones is a conservative to the right - actually he is talking bout the shooting now - listen... http://www.infowars.com/

Wyldfire

Banned
Reaction score
Delta said:
doesn't sound fundy to me. just his attempt at poetic rambling... but it does seem that the cultural associations in his head are christian, not islam as one enthusiastically volatile female is eager to assert.

from the video footage, it seems like he wasn't just an afc but genuinely "off" in his head... one of those guys that doesn't seem all there.

delta
I never said he was a muslim...I said I would not be surprised if it was terror related...meaning it would not shock me. He had no interest in engaging even his roommates in the most basic of conversation, even though they TRIED.

What's ironic is that right after I posted that he sounds like a paranoid schizophrenic with delusions and psychotic the news had a guest on who I think is a profiler who basically said the exact same thing that I did. Many years ago I was a case coordinator at a group home for mentally ill people and one of the residents there was a paranoid schizophrenic who was 24 years old. He had the same blank expression on his face all the time as the roommates describe the shooter as having. The erratic ramblings that make no sense is the same kind of talk the resident used.

The guy wasn't an AFC...he was severely mentally ill. He fell through the cracks and this is yet another mistake the administration at Virginia Tech made. I think some heads are going to roll once things settle down. That shooter should have been removed from the school and put into residential care back in 2005. The shooter was right about one thing in his crazy manifesto...this didn't need to happen. It never would have if the college officials would have made the effort to deal with this problem IMMEDIATELY instead of leaving it go for almost a year and a half. Simply disgusting...

Wyldfire

Banned
Reaction score
He didn't have a girlfriend. The first girl he killed had a boyfriend who was the person of interest they had pulled over along the road when the second shootings started. All of that girls friends told the police that she was never involved with him romantically...ever.

He had an imaginary girlfriend according to one of his roommates...but not a real person. Even teachers have reported that he wouldn't talk in class even when asked a question directly. During peer editing he would not speak...he would only write.

Wyldfire

Banned
Reaction score
DJDamage said:
Nope...I saw a couple of Korean kids interviewed and they didn't know him either.

One of his roommates looks to be from India...and he seemed like a very caring and kind person. He and the other roommates were never told of his problems and that roommate had said if he knew he had been suicidal in the past he would have tried even harder to befriend him. This guy said he tried for two months when school started and the guy just would not respond aside from a few one word answers here and there.

grinder

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Years ago my job was to go evaluate people like this guy and figure out if they were going to hurt themselves or someone else.

If I decided he was a danger I drove or called a magistrate, he issued the custody order and the cops go pick them up and take them to the psych hosp. The order lasts 48 hours or until they have a hearing with a judge.

They did an ok job with most but sometimes, if they had no ins, or, worse, the hospitals were full; they walked. And we knew something bad was going to happen. And their was not a fvcking thing anyone could do about it.

The job got harder as the American Civil Liberties Union got involved and challenged our/my right to swear out warrants. It got harder and harder to get the custody orders issued.

Here’s a confession: When I knew from experience the person was way fvcked up in the head, but I did not have good evidence to hold them, I “spun” it a bit for their own good.

This guy COULD have been locked up before this craziness if a very experienced emergency worker knew and saw the signs. Yep, they may have had to fudge it a bit, but….

I read that this guy was put in a hospital on just such an order last year: and the judge released him.

Delta

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
re: "christian soldier"

no he's not. he's not fighting for anything but his own pain. he has no religious agenda. he's not trying to do anything for a cause. that is just his cultural/poetic imagery that he uses to paint his own pain.

delta

Play the Game

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Very strange. All i've been able to get out of the media is that it had something to do with religion and hedonism. Either way, this looked totally different in the beginning when they said he was looking for his gf. Now it turns out she wasn't even his gf, and he was taking pictures of girl's legs in class?

This guy had some serious mental problems. They should have locked him up in the first place.

Delta

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
yah, he didn't have a girl friend. no way. just listen to him... he would not have the social wherewithal... also, the reports are saying that he didn't even know the girl he first killed... probably an obsession or a passing acquaintance at most.

wylde - i thought it was an odd thing to say in any case. also, i looked it up - korea has a muslim population of 1%... so i'm not sure what you meant by "sizable population".

and ishmael has judeo/christian resonance as well. it is the illegitimate child that abraham sired to hagar (seriously, that's a horrible name for a chick!) when sarah thought she would not be able to bear him a child. hagar and ishmael were sent away after isaac was born. (jews and christians believe that from ishmael springs the arab peoples). and though i believe God promises to make ishmael a great nation, it can be a symbol of illegitimacy and rejection and banishment.

delta

Status
Not open for further replies.