Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Ya, I'm one of the short guys out there.

LongDrinkofWater

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
One of my best friends growing up was only about 5'1" or so. Used to call him mighty-mite. This guy got more poon than just about anyone else I knew. The girls were all over him. Why you ask? He was confident, always had a smile going on and kept his wits about him. Height was never an issue. Thinking back over the long time I knew him, I cannot think of any time he ever complained about his height - especially to me - I'm 6'5". And yes, he outscored me by fathoms.........

TCDude

Don Juan
Reaction score
At just under 5'5" (65" - 165cm), and far from 21 years old; let me share a near lifetime of fact and reality. What follows are generalizations and your mileage may vary.

Height does indeed matter and it is a distinct disadvantage in everything you do as a male.

There are indeed girls out there that will only date guys who are x feet tall. There are people who will not offer you respect, even when it's due, simply because you're short.

A short man is equivalent to a fat woman in immediate desirability. Just the way it is. (you can use this to your advantage, most women think they are fat even when you don't)

There are employers who will pay you less because you are short. Some won't even hire you. There are some jobs you just don't need to be doing.

You will probably not turn alot of heads when you walk down the beach. You probably won't even be noticed.

Most people will immediately assume that you are "smart" and "high tech". Few will immediately identify you as "the leader".

Based on observation, most women will guess that you are a computer programmer or a teacher. You might be an engineer or a scientist. You're probably not a construction worker or an auto mechanic.

They won't peg you as a sales rep., or a stock broker -- though you could prove them wrong.

It's not likely (based on history) that you'll be elected President.

The best way to overcome the height disadvantage is to take on female role positions. Get a traditionally female job, take on traditionally female hobbies, etc...

In this way you will avoid the negative aspects of your height in the workplace (for example lower pay) and can be more succesful. An example for consideration: male nurses make more than female nurses on average. most nurses are women. short men will not feel the height differential as strongly in an environment of women.

In a traditional female work environment, the male is usually perceived as the natural leader. Provided that you don't insist that "women are stupid therfor I'm in charge".

Now -- getting the girls. Doesn't work for us like it does for the "normal" and "tall" guys. We have to really have something to offer. And the one thing we can easily offer is that we are "on their level". They will accept us as peers and equals if we let them.

What this gives you then is not "ugg I big man you little woman!" but instead "let's create an equality of relationship here" I know, kinda sucks if you want to be macho guy or if she digs macho guy -- but you can't change your height.

The advantage to being in a traditional female work environment is that (traditionally), there are women there. One important part of the art of seduction (attraction) is the theory of proximity. You spend enough time with her, she will get attached (unless you're an ass). What better way to get close to her than to spend 8 hours a day, 5 days a week together.

Then, you had better be able to perform! You can't fold her in your arms and move her around like the big guys can -- you better have something else to make up for that. Technique is that thing. If you have skill, she'll tell her firends.

TCDude

Don Juan
Reaction score
i'm 5'9 and 90% of guys my age are taller than me.
No, 90% of guys your age are not taller than you. Check some stats dude! 5'9" is above the 50th percentile of standard deviation. That means that half of all men are taller and half are shorter. Reality is that it means that you are statistically average. "Normal" in common terms.

Guys who are 6'2" (what many here consider "normal") are actually "tall" -- inasmuch as they fall above the 80th percentile. Of every 10 guys, only 2 are above 6'2". That's an aberation and not "normal"

90% of guys are taller than someone who is just about 5'6" tall. That means that of every 10 guys - 1 one shorter than the 5'6" dude. We call both of them "short".

Now me, I'm just under 5'5" -- I fall into the lowest 2nd standard deviation. Not only does society call me short but the doctors have a word for me - "familial short stature".

By the way, the 50th percentile for women is 63" (5'3") -- there is a natural 5" difference between the "average" man and woman. There is probably a "natural selection" explaination for that difference.

That means I need to be hunting for those 4'11" and under women... that leaves me with only 5% of the female population.

Whereas someone at 5'9" looking for women under 5'4" is selecting from about 50% of the female population to keep the 5" differential.

JoeSchmoe05

Don Juan
Reaction score
I'm also 5'5"... its hard to quantify how much more difficult my life is compared to someone of normal height. There is definately an impact but I havent encountered any overt descrimination.

I'm just happy that with the girls 5'4" and below I'm having some nice success. I have no trouble with dating only shorter girls... they seem more attractive to me anyways.

Do any of you short fellas... and not 5'9" average... find that you get noticed or ignored? I for one can't seem to go anywhere with at least one person commenting on my height outloud. Right now I'm living in the midwest so its mostly a white/tall population and its almost as if I'm a novelty. (I'm also Asian so that might be helping with the getting noticed part).

I guess I can also take comfort in the fact that evidently the average Asian male height is 5'6" (Jet Li is the perfect example of your average Asian male in terms of height and weight. 5'6" and 145 lbs from working out everyday... I'm 137 and work out every two days.).

pimpfromdayone

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Sheeeit, I remember growing up and all through school people always mentioned my small size, even teachers (before I was even close to 5'7"). It took me until 7th grade just to hit 5'0"... very late grower indeed. Now that I am currently 5'7" (5'8" with shoes on) which puts me dam-n near average, I haven't heard one single remark in years about my height. I can really sympathize with those guys who are closer to 5', and yes, the world is harsh, unfair, etc., but worrying about it will get you nowhere.

To the guy who said tall guys have an advantage, you're right, but it is not that big of an advantage to worry about. You no doubt have many years on me in experience, but in my opinion, a short guy with tall-guy attitude is pretty powerful, both socially, with women, and in the job market, and this is an easily observable thing....
You make a VERY good point about proximity. I believe it is THE #1 way to male/female coupling. It doesn't take a scientist to figure out that we all usually end up with people we have known and been around for a while, yet people on this board insist on complicating matters for themselves because they can't see the simple truth behind it all.

TubularBells28

Don Juan
Reaction score
I am really sick of saying this:

As a short guy I can honestly say that personality goes a long way.

If you are short, do something or have a personality that will compensate for it. Stand out from the crowd so much that she neglects the fact thatr you are short in stature.

I am focusing on being a bodybuilder, and at a height of 5'5"-6" I think I will look pretty good and will be able to bulk up easliy. It is by that that I will prove to women that short guys can provide as much protection as thoser lanky ****s.

If someone cracks at your height, crack back about it. Make a joke about it, make her laugh, show her that you are comfortable with your height. What girls hate more than a short guy is a short guy who is uncomfortable with his height. Go ahead and have a personality that shines, and lift weights or do martial arts to bash this protection crap.

Scrumtulescence

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by TCDude
No, 90% of guys your age are not taller than you. Check some stats dude! 5'9" is above the 50th percentile of standard deviation. That means that half of all men are taller and half are shorter. Reality is that it means that you are statistically average. "Normal" in common terms.
Once again, we already went over that. Look in the middle or so of the thread.

Those statistics are probably skewed (in the sense that they don't reflect my situation) by ethnicities that aren't really "competition" to me. I'm going to be compared to other white guys, that's just the way it is. And at 5'8, I literally see around a hundred guys taller than me for every guy shorter than me.

Jay-X

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by TCDude

Guys who are 6'2" (what many here consider "normal") are actually "tall" -- inasmuch as they fall above the 80th percentile. Of every 10 guys, only 2 are above 6'2". That's an aberation and not "normal"

90% of guys are taller than someone who is just about 5'6" tall. That means that of every 10 guys - 1 one shorter than the 5'6" dude. We call both of them "short".

Now me, I'm just under 5'5" -- I fall into the lowest 2nd standard deviation. Not only does society call me short but the doctors have a word for me - "familial short stature".

By the way, the 50th percentile for women is 63" (5'3") -- there is a natural 5" difference between the "average" man and woman. There is probably a "natural selection" explaination for that difference.

That means I need to be hunting for those 4'11" and under women... that leaves me with only 5% of the female population.

Whereas someone at 5'9" looking for women under 5'4" is selecting from about 50% of the female population to keep the 5" differential.

Ok, TCDude, you don't believe me? Here are my 7 male classmates' heights:

1. 6'2
2. 6'1
3. 5'10
4. 5'10
5. 5'9
6. 5'9
7. 5'10
8. 5'10
9. 6'1

and then there's me at 5'9.

and here's my brother's classmates heights, in junior year:

1. 6'0
2. 5'11
3. 6'2
3. 6'3
4. 6'1
5. 5'10
6. 5'9
7. 6'1
8. 6'1
9. 6'0
10. 5.9
11. 5.6
12. 5'9
13. 5'9

not enough? here's the heights of people i usually hang out with on friday nights:

1. 6'0
2. 5'11
3. 6'1
4. 6'3
5. 5'8
6. 5'10
7. 5'10
8. 5'9
9. 6'0

that's why even though i may be average height in charts, i usually face the same problems as short guys

and fùck the 50th percentile;)

Bloke

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by GropeDope
Let me understand this cause, I don't know maybe it's me, I'm a little f*cked up maybe, but I'm funny how? I mean, funny like I'm a clown, I amuse you? I make you laugh... I'm here to f*ckin' amuse you? What do you mean funny....funny how? How am I funny?

No, no, I don't know... you said it. You said I'm funny. How the f*ck am I funny? WHAT THE F*CK is so funny about me? Tell me.
:crackup: :crackup: :crackup:

Joe Pesci. Someone tell him he can't kick the **** of guys & f*ck babes because he's short

dirtyvibe

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by JoeSchmoe05
I'm also 5'5"... its hard to quantify how much more difficult my life is compared to someone of normal height. There is definately an impact but I havent encountered any overt descrimination.

I'm just happy that with the girls 5'4" and below I'm having some nice success. I have no trouble with dating only shorter girls... they seem more attractive to me anyways.

Do any of you short fellas... and not 5'9" average... find that you get noticed or ignored? I for one can't seem to go anywhere with at least one person commenting on my height outloud. Right now I'm living in the midwest so its mostly a white/tall population and its almost as if I'm a novelty. (I'm also Asian so that might be helping with the getting noticed part).

I guess I can also take comfort in the fact that evidently the average Asian male height is 5'6" (Jet Li is the perfect example of your average Asian male in terms of height and weight. 5'6" and 145 lbs from working out everyday... I'm 137 and work out every two days.).
dont mean to hurt your perceptions, but that depends on where you're from in asia. asians in the us are only pretty short because they come from southern asia. northern china, etc the average height is 5'10

JoeSchmoe05

Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by dirtyvibe
dont mean to hurt your perceptions, but that depends on where you're from in asia. asians in the us are only pretty short because they come from southern asia. northern china, etc the average height is 5'10
Well, I'm not sure I can believe that just from my experience... I myself am from Korea and have seen Asians here from all parts of the continent... Japan, Korea, both races of Chinese, Vietnam, Thailand, Laos and to a limited extent Malasia, the Phillipines, etc. I notice that in general, the farther south we are from, the shorter we are. Japanese seem to be the tallest. Malasians the shortest.

I don't have much opportunity to go back to Korea in my adult life, but I have a Korean friend who is only 5'9", has been to Seoul quite a few times and he has mentioned to me that he gets a lot of attention because of his height and feels cramped on the busses. Also have a chinese friend (5'11") that was in Hong Kong recently to see his dad. Hong Kong has some of the busiest streets in the world and its very easy to get lost in the crowd, his family normally has to hold hands to make sure they are together. When he was there, all they had to do was look for his head and they just followed him whereever they needed to go :D .

I have noticed that with the very limited number of Asians I've encountered in the midwest United States (can count them on my fingers... only saw one black guy at the bank once), they are all fairly tall (average by white standards). Yet on the Pacific Coast, where there are so many of us that at schools like UC Berkeley we're now the majority, it averages out.

Again, I seem to be doing pretty well with the girls shorter than me (including the white ones... yellow fever seems to work very well for me :cool: ).

There is this movie Jet Li made back in China in the 80's. I forget the name, but it takes place after WWII and the US military has occupied a small Chinese village and the troops have started to abuse the citizens. Jet Li's character makes enemies with a US officer and ends up fighting him and his goonies. I don't think it was supposed to be funny, but watching Jet Li fight this guy who was at least a foot taller than him and pretty thick... amusing... and he still kicked his ass (although he had to use his cunning/quickness and the bad guy's stereotypical clusiness and shortsightedness to beat him). There is also a rather amusing but well filmed fight scene that breaks out in a bar with a boxing ring in the middle. Total chaos. Just rambling at this point.

Mr. Unique

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by Jay-X
Ok, TCDude, you don't believe me? Here are my 7 male classmates' heights:

1. 6'2
2. 6'1
3. 5'10
4. 5'10
5. 5'9
6. 5'9
7. 5'10
8. 5'10
9. 6'1

and then there's me at 5'9.

and here's my brother's classmates heights, in junior year:

1. 6'0
2. 5'11
3. 6'2
3. 6'3
4. 6'1
5. 5'10
6. 5'9
7. 6'1
8. 6'1
9. 6'0
10. 5.9
11. 5.6
12. 5'9
13. 5'9

not enough? here's the heights of people i usually hang out with on friday nights:

1. 6'0
2. 5'11
3. 6'1
4. 6'3
5. 5'8
6. 5'10
7. 5'10
8. 5'9
9. 6'0

that's why even though i may be average height in charts, i usually face the same problems as short guys

and fùck the 50th percentile;)

Jay x, the u.s is different from italy

dirtyvibe

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Well, I'm not sure I can believe that just from my experience... I myself am from Korea and have seen Asians here from all parts of the continent... Japan, Korea, both races of Chinese, Vietnam, Thailand, Laos and to a limited extent Malasia, the Phillipines, etc. I notice that in general, the farther south we are from, the shorter we are. Japanese seem to be the tallest. Malasians the shortest.

I don't have much opportunity to go back to Korea in my adult life, but I have a Korean friend who is only 5'9", has been to Seoul quite a few times and he has mentioned to me that he gets a lot of attention because of his height and feels cramped on the busses. Also have a chinese friend (5'11") that was in Hong Kong recently to see his dad. Hong Kong has some of the busiest streets in the world and its very easy to get lost in the crowd, his family normally has to hold hands to make sure they are together. When he was there, all they had to do was look for his head and they just followed him whereever they needed to go :D .

I have noticed that with the very limited number of Asians I've encountered in the midwest United States (can count them on my fingers... only saw one black guy at the bank once), they are all fairly tall (average by white standards). Yet on the Pacific Coast, where there are so many of us that at schools like UC Berkeley we're now the majority, it averages out.

Again, I seem to be doing pretty well with the girls shorter than me (including the white ones... yellow fever seems to work very well for me :cool: ).

There is this movie Jet Li made back in China in the 80's. I forget the name, but it takes place after WWII and the US military has occupied a small Chinese village and the troops have started to abuse the citizens. Jet Li's character makes enemies with a US officer and ends up fighting him and his goonies. I don't think it was supposed to be funny, but watching Jet Li fight this guy who was at least a foot taller than him and pretty thick... amusing... and he still kicked his ass (although he had to use his cunning/quickness and the bad guy's stereotypical clusiness and shortsightedness to beat him). There is also a rather amusing but well filmed fight scene that breaks out in a bar with a boxing ring in the middle. Total chaos. Just rambling at this point.
i said northern china, not korea/ japan

interesting you think that though because the data ive seen shows the japanese as the shortest

pimpfromdayone

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by ______-O-___-___
Jay x the u.s is different than italy
Haha, for real you crazy italian motherfu-ckers... ;)

I don't know if it differs WITHIN the U.S. as well, but where I live the height chart (and that famous 50th %-ile) holds true. Besides, the U.S. is the great "melting pot," representing many ethnicities, including Asians, Europeans, Hispanics, African Americans, etc.... so don't act like the charts are that far off for the U.S. The doctors and statisticians who made them are NOT idiots. They DO not benefit in any way from skewed data.

Btw, putting some muscle on is good, but if you take it too far you might end up looking even shorter than you already are. Don't give me that, "More is always better" bullshi-t... I've heard it enough.... only YOU know what is best for you. The protection thing does factor in here, but you don't have to be Arnold Schwarzeneggar to look capable of protecting a woman. You should avoid trying to compensate for your height (in obvious ways), but personality is definitely something to work on. You won't get any attention if you look and act like the average guy out there, regardless of height. You should dress sharp, act sharper. You would be surprised how much more you get noticed just by wearing bright colored polos and stuff like that... to set yourself apart. If you are already good looking, this stuff will give you that extra edge.

Psychologists studying attraction have done experiments on tall vs. short men and they found that basically, tall men were preferred simply because they caught the woman's eye first... meaning their height just made them stand out more in the crowd. As far as being attracted to only tall men, there are women like that to, and I will fully acknowledge that fact, but don't act like it is a major handicap or anything. If they are "too tall" for me, I make it THEIR problem, because in most cases, it is. I tease them about being giants and whatnot, and guess what, no matter how much they like me or how hot other guys may find them, they know THEIR height is the problem and why I don't make any moves on them. Just finding a flaw in an extremely hot women and teasing about it is very powerful. No other guys do it.

I actually prefer short women, not tall manly women, haha, and you know, almost every man is tall to them.

pimpfromdayone

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Oh yeah, Japan prob. is the shortest. Koreans I think are the tallest.

Mr. Unique

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by MightyMate
Guy doesnt have to be beautiful but he cant be smaller than his woman. Short guys have to be artists or so. Wihout that they got huge problem.
that is bs I think what you meant to say is that the guy cant be more feminine than his girl.if your short you can still go after tall women because you would probably still be more muscular and wider than her.

Im 5'7 im short but and im not muscular, I have a babyface wich youd think would make things worse but it still didnt stop me from getting the girls I want when I was in highschool I went out with a 5'9 hb8 after that I found out that another chick whos about 5'7 HB9 and very popular wanted to hang out with me, we went on a couple of dates and we made sweet love. In my campus I always see girls checking me out especially the taller ones.some dont.

Heres my theory about tall girls, theirs two kinds of tall GOODLOOKING girls.

Tall girl A: This chick is around 5'8 5'11 ,she really doesnt care if she marries a short guy because her whole family is tall and its in her genes.almost every guy is either the same height or shorter so to her a 5'9 guy is no different than a 5'6 guy.shed wish she was shorter so she could have more guys open to her so its harder for her.this chick is goodlooking she really does not have to try hard nor does she care what others think cause she knows shes hot this chick could even be a model.this chick is ussually laid back shed give almost anyone a chance.

Tall girl B: This chick goes for the tall muscular types, it doesnt mean shes shallow its a requirement and its mainly because of not wanting to feel like she the dominant one.she is also about the same height as girl A.she would never give a short guy a chance.this chick is not as goodlooking as girl A but still hot this chick could also be a model.

one thing is for sure everyshort guy has a different look they come in all shapes and sizes

some are wide, some are round, some are fat, some are boyish, some are muscular, some are pretty boys metros, some are meatheads, some are white, some are black, some are latin, some are ugly, some are goodlooking, some are dark haired, some are blond,some are from another country beside U.S.A, some live in the south, some live in the north, some live in the east, and others live in the west,

but they have one thing in common.......theyre short.

seriously my point is not every short guy has got the luck, its about the Time, the place, the people you meet and how you look entirely.

How about asking one of the women of this site of what they think of short guys.would they ever go out with a guy shorter than them?

Last edited:

JoeSchmoe05

Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by pimpfromdayone
Oh yeah, Japan prob. is the shortest. Koreans I think are the tallest.
I remember reading an interesting news article about poverty stricken North Korea. Among other things it mentioned that the average height up there is staggeringly small compared to South Korea and the other developed nations in the area. Starvation isn't very good for height, who woulda thunk it? But even in the other countries, since our diet is based mostly on seafood, and generous helpings of rice, I guess it isn't very good at producing HGH when we are younger so it may be another reason why we're generally shorter (although even if we did take in a lot of protein there is still a genetic ceiling). HOWEVER, we do live a great deal longer. Unfortunately, McDonalds has invaded Korea and Japan and obesity rates are skyrocketing!

And speaking of HGH, I remember seeing something on the news about these shots you can have your kids self administer into their gut during early adolesence. It's terribly painful but it can add an extra 3" to their final height.

BGMan

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I remember reading an interesting news article about poverty stricken North Korea. Among other things it mentioned that the average height up there is staggeringly small compared to South Korea and the other developed nations in the area. Starvation isn't very good for height, who woulda thunk it?
Apparently it's a noted fact at the DMZ in Korea that the South Korean soldiers are about twice as big as the North Koreans. :D

http://korea.net/news/news/NewsView.asp?serial_no=20040428001&part=110&SearchDay=
The U.S. and North Korean military have contact through liaison meetings and telephone calls at Panmunjom, where burly South Korean guards in sunglasses under U.S. command face off against scowling North Korean guards.

Also, the average height in Europe has increased dramatically since the end of World War II, where children are routinely about four to six inches taller than their parents, but not in most places in the United States.

It's strange though, but my own family seemed to follow the European model. Dad was 5'11" in his prime, Mom 5'5"; now my two brothers are 6'2" and my sisters 5'7". I, on the other hand, ended up just under 5'10", exactly the American white male average. How this happened I don't know. It could be because I was three weeks premature. But, it could also be because my two grandfathers were about 5'4" and I inherited their height.

One of my sisters gives me sh!t all the time about being short. Most girls I date, however, are about as tall as I am, or slightly shorter. I don't know why that is, really. But possibly it's because 1) I like tall girls more than short ones, and 2) I don't give a @#$# how tall the girl is, I go after her anywayz. :p

BGMan