Workout to increase stamina/endurance overall?

PumpNightmare

Don Juan
Reaction score
I run for 15 minutes in the morning before I have breakfest, Tue-Fridays. I also ride my bike to work (stock clerk) for 15 minutes twice a week as well. I also play those "dancing games" (Pump It Up, DDR&ITG) often as well in my free time.
I need advice on what I could do to increase my stamina overall. I'm looking into the option of going to the gym at my collge, but I'm not sure what I should do there. Anything specific I should look into? I'm 6ft, 165lbs, so I'm not really looking into "bulking" or "cutting" up, but I do want to loose body fat and increase my overall stamina to be fit. My main goals are to improve my health over all and have enough endurance for I can play higher level songs in said "dancing games" I play often. I know when doing a search, cardio seems to be frowned around here, but I'm not going for looks, although it is a huge plus.

So, any advice DJs? Much appreciated!

PumpNightmare

Don Juan
Reaction score
Thanks. Going by this, it looks like I should concentrate a lot on running and sprinting. I started the gym today and did a light 30 minute run which was about 2.5 miles on the treadmill. Plus road my bike all over campus and 30 minutes of DDR. I don't feel sore (yet) so I guess I'll have to push myself harder tomorrow if I feel fine when I wake up. :box: I think I should be fine with my heart rate. It's around 65bpm when resting, so I should be fine. Not below 50 like that chart says, but it can be lowered with time.

reyalp

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
below 50 is for endurance athletes, you're not shooting for that so much as you are overall cardiovascular health.

baby steps, man.

check_mate_kid_uk

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
To increase endurance, you are going to need to go on the long haul. 15 minutes cycling is not enough. Make it 3 hours and then your starting to talk, but still many people would still call tat short distance cycleing!

One thing i have noticed increase stamina is sprint training, (for running or cycleing) for example cycle for 45 minutes but instead of going at an evan pace, go very fact fast for a few minutes and then slow down the pace to recover, and then speed up again and repeat. This does a lot of good for your stamina.

Capitol39

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
"Cross training" has helped me improve my endurance. I used to just ride the exercise bike at a 750-calories-per-hour pace, riding for about 35 minutes. Then I started cross training on the elliptical trainer for a few weeks, and now I can ride the bike for an hour at about a 800-calories-per-hour pace.

dirtysanchez

Don Juan
Reaction score
Run a search for "General Physical Preparation" on google. GPP workouts will boost your work capacity and your level of general conditioning. Workouts can be based on bodyweight calisthenics circuits, sled dragging, Medicine Ball throwing, mini strongman circuits and many more ideas.