Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Workout tips for someone skinny

redskinsfan92

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I recommend what I started with my oldest brother (who has decades of weightlifting experience) back in 2016. I weighed 120 lbs at the time. We did his modified version of stronglifts 5x5.
Workout A
3 sets of squats-5 reps
5 sets of overhead press-5 reps
1 set of deadlift-5 reps

Workout B
3 sets of squats-5 reps
5 sets of bench press-5 reps
5 sets of barbell rows-5 reps

You start adding extra exercises to address weak areas as you get into better shape and have energy left for more. Things like curls, pullups, dips, pushups, etc.

After a couple months you switch programs to something to "keep the body guessing" as he put it.

I quickly climbed to 140 lbs over the next year or 2. Eventually I leveled off at 155.

Currently I have not been consistent and am a bit out shape, which is not a program issue.

One thing to remember is don't be afraid to deload. Don't increase weight if your form was sloppy (example: not going down far enough on squats) Also, going up 5 lbs everytime on overhead press simply won't happen. He would bring smaller weights to add.

Oh, very important. We only worked out 3 days a week. The muscles need to heal.
I went from squatting the bar to squatting 185 lbs.
From no pullups to 7-8 proper pullups.
From no dips to 20.
From deadlifting 95 lbs to 225 lbs.

Last edited:

mrgoodstuff

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
While you are trying to gain mass eat at least 1 Grams of protein per Pound of GOAL bodyweight. Whatever workout program you use, I'd be squatting and trying to get stronger at it. This will add power throughout your body.

djreez88

Don Juan
Reaction score
The best work out tip i gave myself was to eat everything I could. When i started working out seriously I was 6'2 125 pounds. I wanted to do it healthy though so I ate very clean, big mistake in my overall weight goals. I used to get sick every year and would end up losing everything i would gain.
2017 is when i decided id need to put on enough fat to counter this. At the time i was 145. I worked my ass off from that year till 2019. I was 174 that year and have stayed there mainly because of 2020. My point is as a skinny guy, the most important thing to workout are your jaws. Do eat healthy but make sure you throw in enough natural fats as well.

redskinsfan92

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
The best work out tip i gave myself was to eat everything I could. When i started working out seriously I was 6'2 125 pounds. I wanted to do it healthy though so I ate very clean, big mistake in my overall weight goals. I used to get sick every year and would end up losing everything i would gain.
2017 is when i decided id need to put on enough fat to counter this. At the time i was 145. I worked my ass off from that year till 2019. I was 174 that year and have stayed there mainly because of 2020. My point is as a skinny guy, the most important thing to workout are your jaws. Do eat healthy but make sure you throw in enough natural fats as well.
Yes, he'll need to gain fat too. I did

BackInTheGame78

Reaction score
Your first order of business should be to up your calories pretty drastically. I'd increase them by 500 for a few weeks and keep increasing by 200 a week until you start gaining weight.

BackInTheGame78

Reaction score
Yes, he'll need to gain fat too. I did
He doesn't need to gain fat. He simply needs to eat enough to build muscle. He will only gain fat if he eats too many calories. People mistakenly think if they eat tons of calories you will build more muscle but that isn't really how it works. Past a certain point any additional calories will simply be stored as fat. The human body, unless on steroids, has a limited capacity for muscle growth, no more than 2 lbs a month if EVERYTHING is perfect. And by everything I mean training, eating, sleeping, resting etc...almost nobody will be perfect, not even pro athletes, so realistically 1 lb of muscle a month is probably the best most people are going to get.

Anything more than this is likely fat no matter how much you want to kid yourself.

Reactions: B80

JonD13

Don Juan
Reaction score
Eat like a King, work your muscle like a beast, add Protein to your life man!

And... don't forget to get enough rest, eat a well balance nutrition foods plus a good source of supplements to help you unlock your potential. Good luck man!

BackInTheGame78

Reaction score
Heyy, I'm 19, 1,82m, and recently I returned to the gym. I've been into 3 different gyms in the past few years but seen little progress.

My main goal is to gain muscle since I'm already skinny enough. I'm reading starting strength and talked about it (the little I've read) to my coach and he said that doing the same exercises every time doesn't allow the muscle to rest therefore I won't be gaining muscle. He also told me to eat an awful load of carbs which I'm not used to but it seems necessary.

Any tips?
Eat more and do compound lifts. 5x5 is a good program to start with

Hoodie

Don Juan
Reaction score
Heyy, I'm 19, 1,82m, and recently I returned to the gym. I've been into 3 different gyms in the past few years but seen little progress.

My main goal is to gain muscle since I'm already skinny enough. I'm reading starting strength and talked about it (the little I've read) to my coach and he said that doing the same exercises every time doesn't allow the muscle to rest therefore I won't be gaining muscle. He also told me to eat an awful load of carbs which I'm not used to but it seems necessary.

Any tips?
My advise would be to stick to a shedule every week. Mine is monday, wednsday and friday. If you don't feel lkke you have the energy to workout, do atleast something. Warmup, train bodyweight exercises at home, do lighter weights etc. Getting in the routine is the most important and over time you will experience what works for you and what doesn't. Based on common knowledge you should aim for 10 - 20 sets on each muscle group each week with not less than 48hours rest between each time you work out that muscle group. So if you train your whole body (which I do), you will get 48hours rest between monday, wednesday and friday. If you do 2 exercises on each muscle group with 2 sets on each muscle group that will turn out to be 2 exercises x 2 sets x 3 workouts = 12 sets on that muscle each week. 3 sets on each exercise = 18 sets. Over time you will find out what works for your body.
In addition diet is equally as important, you must make sure you get enough protein and adding creatine will give you 2-4 pounds water weight and make you able to put on more muscle over time, due to more work capacity. Gaining muscles as a natural is a really long and slow prosses, so creatine will atleast make it a tad easier.
Also you will experience alot of growth the first 6 months and 12 months, after that it will slow down really quickly.
1 year: 50% of potential
2 year: 75% of potential
3 year: 87.5% of potential
4 year: 93.75% of potential
As you can see after 1 and 2 year it becomes very slow.
But other benefits you gain than building muscle, is better functionality, better mental health etc. So there are tons of benefits besides gaining muscle.

B80

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
He doesn't need to gain fat. He simply needs to eat enough to build muscle. He will only gain fat if he eats too many calories. People mistakenly think if they eat tons of calories you will build more muscle but that isn't really how it works. Past a certain point any additional calories will simply be stored as fat. The human body, unless on steroids, has a limited capacity for muscle growth, no more than 2 lbs a month if EVERYTHING is perfect. And by everything I mean training, eating, sleeping, resting etc...almost nobody will be perfect, not even pro athletes, so realistically 1 lb of muscle a month is probably the best most people are going to get.

Anything more than this is likely fat no matter how much you want to kid yourself.

yeah that was my experience when I started 'nailing' the diet side of things 15 or so years back. almost ate nothing apart from what would be classed as 'clean' food for a year or so - well, maybe the odd cheat meal every couple of weeks. ate thousands of cals each day and put on weight, but a fair% of fat too.

good quality food important for nutrients, energy, well being etc, but you still can;t overlook cals in/cals out just because you're eating 'clean'.

B80

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I helped a guy with this once. It worked. Eat food the very first thing in the morning. Right away. This gets your insulin going first thing. You will be hungrier more often and eat more during the day.

Too many workouts = failure to gain muscle. Unless you are doing roids.

Indeed, I loosely intermittent fast most days (not dead on timing protocols like the proper plans advise), as find is easier to manage hunger in the morning, then enjoy more cals, feeling satiated at bed time. Otherwise end up hungry all day.

Also worth, fats are important. Can add a lot of calories into your diet through healthy oils, nut butters. I wouldn't eat low carbs,, but wouldn't go gung ho on them either.

HoneyHitter

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
If your legs are too skinny, try focusing more on hamstrings than quads for a while until you lose the skinny leg shape. Probably 4-8 months of gradual buildup. All you need are moderate deadlifts and controlled leg curls. Squats are not enough. I wish I’d learned this in my early 20s.

Reaction score
eat mass gainer and workout more which consists of body weight it will help your body much faster