widen the mid section

slickjesse

Don Juan
Reaction score
hey guys. i have good abs but my torso looks a little too skinny to me. i know there are certain muscles on the sides of your abs that are supposed to make you look wider. can any one point me towards exercises that will improve these?

semag

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
delts/pecs/and lats will make you look wider, just do that instead

Duke Togo

Don Juan
Reaction score
breath heavy and extend your chest ******ds when performing taxing exercises like squats and deadlifts, this will widen your ribcage.

arnold S - encyclopedia of modern Bodybuilding

also your lats, and pec/deltoid tie in will grow in time.

Francisco d'Anconia

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by slickjesse
...i know there are certain muscles on the sides of your abs that are supposed to make you look wider. ...
Yep, love-handles will definitely make you look wider.... Never heard anyone refer to them as muscles before though... :p

Alpine

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Squats and deadlifts will help develop your midsection (including your lower back) This gives the 'power look' as opposed to a bodybuilder who aim to keep a relatively small waist.

Heavy barbell side bends and heavy barbell twists will seriously develop the obliques.

MrFitness880

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
I dont think you really want to thicken your waist much. Heavy squats and deads will do that enough for you. Get your shoulders and lats to go wide.

Nice wide shoulders and a thin waist look great.

As far as rib-cage expansion I think that the idea of noticably expanding ones ribcage is pretty much considered unrealistic

Cat Patrol

Don Juan
Reaction score
No, you do not want to thicken your waist. You should be trying for a narrow waist and broad shoulders, a v shape.

I've got love handles on the sides, and I hate em. The only thing that partially makes up for them is that I've got very wide shoulders, which helps mitigate the wide waist.

nan3109

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
weighted sit ups, which kinda worked for me but the new muscle burnt off alot of fat and i got skiner.

but what worked for me is eating a **** load of everything in cluding mcdonalds and BK!