Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Wide Grip Pullups - It took me a year but now...

Charm

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
It took me a solid year of back workouts only skipping 4-6 weeks out of 52 in the year but I can now do a solid with good form 12-14 wide grip pullups as my first set of pullups on my back workout.

When I started doing back exercises, I could not do ONE pullup. So I went to the assisted pullup machine that helps by lifting you beneath your feet. Then I had a work-out partner for a while hold my feet and help me.

Now... after a year of doing pullups wide grip, I can hop up and do 12-14 non-assisted hanging wide grip pullups for my first set. Progress is possible if you stick to it people!

Master Bates

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
That's a WHOLE lot in and of itself, but going from none to 14 is a great improvement. :)

Charm

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I also get complimented on the definition i've added to my back (mostly from dudes at the gym) but hey a compliments a compliment!

I am happy with my gains in strength and physique and the message here is to stick with it!

LegendBoy

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Interesting because I just worked my lats/ back yesterday and pullups wide grip is our first exercise too. I also can't do 1 completely on my own. Just don't have the pulling power yet.. My m8 assists me for 3 sets of 6-8.

Congrats on that where I want to get too.

mrRuckus

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Charm said:
I also get complimented on the definition i've added to my back (mostly from dudes at the gym) but hey a compliments a compliment!
Do you walk around shirtless at the gym?

danno1

Don Juan
Reaction score
I remember being so happy being able to do my first set of pullups. What I did was do negatives for a while and then switched up to pulling as far as I could go.

ThreeStorms

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Good to hear. Now it is time to add some weight to your pullups.

Charm

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
mrRuckus,

I dont walk around shirtless but I do wear sleevless shirts when I work out. When you wear those, and you have a V-taper back like i've developed from pullups, people will notice it and sometimes compliment. Also you can see the rear-delts and parts of the back. I workout at a Powerhouse Gym, famously known for bodybuilding freaks so people tend to be more straight forward about commenting on gains. Its not uncommon to hear people say "nice gains", "you're looking fuller or thicker, etc." immature people might think its gay but its bodybuilder talk.

I do want to try adding some hanging weights from my pullups. I first want to spend about 3 more months cementing my gains and increasing the weights on my pull-down first. The reason being is I begin to fatigue quickly after my first two sets of pullups. That third set sometimes is complete crap.

What are your opinions on the assisted pullup machine for the last set to really get out perfect squeezes on each rep?

mrRuckus

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Charm said:
What are your opinions on the assisted pullup machine for the last set to really get out perfect squeezes on each rep?
Bah. Just add weight maybe with a db between your feet so when you can't do more you can drop it and keep going.

I posted this in another thread about pullup progression a few days ago but everyone ignored it:

http://www.t-nation.com/readArticle.do?id=459572&cr=

Charm

Master Don Juan
Reaction score

Throttle

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
brilliant article...didn't pick it out of that other thread, which went in several directions that all bored me... once d&b weighed in on 'explosiveness' it jumped the shark...

JohnnyIrish

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
mrRuckus said:
Bah. Just add weight maybe with a db between your feet so when you can't do more you can drop it and keep going.

I posted this in another thread about pullup progression a few days ago but everyone ignored it:

http://www.t-nation.com/readArticle.do?id=459572&cr=
Great article.
I know the difference between chins and pull ups now. :)

Article excerpt:
Just to make sure that we're on the same page here, the difference between a chin-up and a pull-up is the grip. Incidentally, the pull-up is a type of chin-up, technically. So when I talk about chins, I often mean pull-ups, too.

Chins traditionally use a supinated grip (palms facing you), while pull-ups use a pronated grip (palms facing away from your body). As you'll see, several other grip options are available, as well.

Charm

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Espi,

I'm going to try your routine suggestions for the assisted pullups as the final sets. Since i've been bulking lately, sometimes pullups are a bit harder depending on my weight that day!

Also,

I DEADLIFTED 225 pounds yesterday for 7 reps! The only reason I stopped was my grip slipped after the 7th rep. It felt so awesome and my back felt amazing!:rockon: :rockon: :rockon: