RickTheToad
Moderator
I like owning my town home. It's not big, it's not ritzy, but it's me and mine. I've considered moving a few times, but selling is a pain; not to mention moving all my stuff.
You replay the conversation at 2 a.m. She texted back fast yesterday. Today, nothing. Was that smile friendly or flirty? What did the shoulder touch mean?
Every hour you spend decoding her signals drains your confidence and hands her the controls. Women can sense that insecurity from across the room — and it repels them.
One of the "22 Rules" kills the obsession on the spot: assume she likes you, and act accordingly. Sounds too simple. Works anyway.
Her interest tends to rise to meet your expectations. Psychologists call it a self-fulfilling prophecy.
Next Monday you'll feel more confident. After the gym you'll feel more confident. After one more drink you'll feel more confident. After you get a better haircut, a better jacket, a better job.
You've been "getting ready" for two years.
She's standing ten feet away right now. She'll be gone in four minutes. No amount of preparation will manufacture the courage that only comes from moving your feet.
Walk over. Stumble through the first sentence. Let it be clumsy. Let it be imperfect. You will feel more alive in those ten seconds than you have all month.
Also, don't forget about insurance and any extra utilities.Saying your rent and mortgage payments are the same is made up math, especially if you don’t include property taxes in the mortgage payments. The other thing that’s being ignored is the flexibility rent gives relative to a home. I would never get a home unless I had kids or felt extremely stable where I was.
I pay way less interest than I would pay rent, I could maybe get half of a tiny apartment if I paid rent equivalent to the interest on my moderately sized house. Renting is ultimately more wasteful, at least here.You are paying interest for 30 years on a loan.
After 30 years my house will be worth more than it is today, unless something catastrophic happens to the Norwegian economy, which is unlikely considering Norway owns 1.3% of global stocks and shares. Again, renting is far more expensive than paying interest here, it would be insane to rent if I have the option not to.Yes you end up with an asset at the end, but I could just as easily put aside the same amount that you pay in interest in an annuity while paying rent and have the same $ asset after 30 years; maybe higher given the fact that my asset will be far more diversified.
In addition to owning a house I save up almost the equivalent of what I pay in interest every month too.The problem is most people are not disciplined enough to put aside money unless they own a house.
Next Monday you'll feel more confident. After the gym you'll feel more confident. After one more drink you'll feel more confident. After you get a better haircut, a better jacket, a better job.
You've been "getting ready" for two years.
She's standing ten feet away right now. She'll be gone in four minutes. No amount of preparation will manufacture the courage that only comes from moving your feet.
Walk over. Stumble through the first sentence. Let it be clumsy. Let it be imperfect. You will feel more alive in those ten seconds than you have all month.
You totally misunderstood what I said but whatever, this discussion is exhausting.I pay way less interest than I would pay rent, I could maybe get half of a tiny apartment if I paid rent equivalent to the interest on my moderately sized house. Renting is ultimately more wasteful, at least here.
After 30 years my house will be worth more than it is today, unless something catastrophic happens to the Norwegian economy, which is unlikely considering Norway owns 1.3% of global stocks and shares. Again, renting is far more expensive than paying interest here, it would be insane to rent if I have the option not to.
In addition to owning a house I save up almost the equivalent of what I pay in interest every month too.
You seemed to be arguing that having a loan isn't any cheaper than renting. This may for all I know be true where you're from, it is significantly not so where I live. I'm not trying to be an ass or anything, I would like to know what I misunderstood.You totally misunderstood what I said but whatever, this discussion is exhausting.
Yeah it's a little easier when you don't have to worry about selling, but not too bad IMO.The more important point actually is the optionality rent gives you. I’ve moved 3 times in the last 10 years and I can keep chasing the best opportunities in front of me.