Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Why do women SEEM to not like nice guys?

Princess-Spock

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
This is part of one of my posts to a psychology forum, adapted slightly to hopefully provide a little more insight on a common topic around here:

Part of it is perception:

A) We get worked up when we see a “nice guy” unattached or dumped, but we don’t BLINK when we see a JERK unattached or dumped, so we end up with the same sort of warped perception that leads doctors and nurses to SWEAR that hospitals are busier during a full moon-that being “a nice guy” means that women won’t want you.

B) We don’t take into account that initial attraction is often based on pure surface flash, which jerks have honed to a science to use as a tool, while nice guys, like non-beautiful women, are less able to generate that immediate surge of excitement.... which means only that women are human with adrenal glands and hormones, NOT that they’re “choosing” jerks over nice guys.

C) We forget that jerks either don’t form relationships or, if they do, they like to do the dumping, and that since nice guys aren’t so quick on the trigger, and may hang around long enough to BE dumped, we associate “getting dumped” with “being a nice guy.”

D) When a man we like and think is "nice" gets dumped, we take his word for it that he's the innocent victim and did no wrong, forgetting that there are 2 sides to every story and that therefore he may have been dumped for bad behavior, being a lousy lover or many other reasons rather than "for dislike of niceness."

Part of it is that when we say “oh, he’s a nice guy,” what we REALLY mean is:

1) “I don’t know him that well, but he ‘seems’ nice.”

We all like to believe that we’re great judges of character, but, let’s face it, ANYONE can make polite conversation with acquaintances, and it doesn’t mean that they’re “nice.” (What do the neighbors and co-workers of serial killers always say? “I can’t believe it-he seemed like such a NICE man.”) There are plenty of rotten people who can be perfectly civil when it suits them, but they are NOT therefore “nice guys” or good relationship choices.

2) “He’s a ‘Yes-Man’”

We generally assume that anyone who agrees (says “yes” to everything), nods and smiles alot is “nice,” but all that REALLY means is that they have NO clue as to how to have real social interaction with anyone. Someone with that big of a lack of people skills does NOT make a good relationship prospect.

3) “He has no particular qualities that stand out.”

When you describe people, you normally say they’re smart, funny, organized, throw a great party, etc.... but, if all you can say about them is that they’re “nice,” it means that they have no virtues that are strong enough to merit mention, and someone like that isn’t likely to be singled out from the herd as a hot prospect.

4) “He’s boring.”

You have nothing really against the guy, he’s not “bad” or irritating or offensive in any way, but you just don’t find him interesting; calling a guy we have nothing against “boring” doesn’t seem right, so we call him “nice.” Who wants to date someone boring?

5) “He’s a follower.”

Everything about him, from his hairstyle, clothes and shoes to the brand of beer the drinks, has been chosen because they’re what most of the other guys have chosen, so that he can fit in. There’s nothing wrong with fitting in, of course.... but, why would someone who blends into a group be singled out by, or seen as a hottie by, a woman?

6) “He’s shy.”

A shy person can be utterly wonderful once you get to know them, but why would anyone of either gender take the time to single out a shy person as a dating prospect?

7) “He’s weak.”

This one can be slippery, because a weak guy can seem like just one of the gang, going along with what the rest of the guys say (because he doesn’t have the backbone to speak up), and the tell-tale signs of weakness are often lost on other men. While the weak guy may be able to GET a woman, he often gets dumped. Why? He’ll be attracted to strong women, who, to feel in control of, he will then manipulate by being passive-aggressive (constantly being late, losing or breaking things, “forgetting” important stuff, lying, being a sneak, etc) until she throws up her hands and kicks him to the curb.

8) “He’s great as a friend but horrible as a significant other.”

This kind of guy may also be able to GET a woman and often get dumped. For example, YOU may not care that your buddy has to have several beers every time you get together, but an alcoholic, even a charming one, is NOT a valid relationship prospect. YOU won’t care that he has mold growing in his bathtub and on the mountain of unwashed dishes in the sink, but a woman will NOT see The Mold King as a hot sexual prospect, much less a wise relationship choice.

9) “He really IS nice, sweet, and sensitive, BUT......”

a) “His looks are unappealing.”

People of both genders are influenced by looks; a man who is fat, homely, greasy-haired or with an affinity for wearing plaids and stripes together will NOT be a woman’s first choice.

b) “He lives at home with his mommy.”

Few women want a man who’s a momma’s boy or incapable of supporting himself.

c) “He works happily in the ‘pizza transportation’ field.”

Women often eagerly go for men who are “starving artists,” and understand that a student may only work part-time, but otherwise they expect a man to have a real job and adult ambitions.

d) “The only thing he’d have in common with most women is sex.”

Some women LOVE sports, video games and drinking beer; the rest won’t be interested long-term (or at all) in a man who just likes those sorts of things and has nothing to talk to her about or do with her besides go to bed.

Here are a few more points to consider:

I) A seemingly “nice” guy can have emotional problems that only someone in an intimate relationship with him will see or fall victim to. He might be:

i) A misogynist

He’s Mr. Wonderful with men, but he HATES women. Some men of this type remain bachelors by choice, fortunately, but many of them go for relationships with women to get sex and other services, and then talk with their fists or are otherwise abusive behind closed doors. Any sane woman will head for the hills, and his friends will be amazed that such a good guy keeps getting dumped.

ii) A sociopath

Sociopaths are in general VERY intelligent, charming, outgoing, funny, romantic, passionate, successful in business...... and totally lacking in empathy (the ability to feel, and care about, the pain of others). A man like this will treat women in a variety of dreadful ways when they’re out of the public eye, and will often tell everyone that she’s “a little screwed up” so that no one will believe her if she complains about him. When she finally makes a run for it, people shake their heads in amazement that such a terrific “catch” keeps getting dumped, and that he keeps going for women who are so messed up and ungrateful.

II) A “nice” guy is still human, and therefore is imperfect, with an imperfect understanding of women and imperfect relationship skills.

There’s a subconscious idea held by many people that a “nice” guy is ALWAYS nice and ALWAYS does nice things, but think-is that realistic? Is he a SAINT? You don’t know what goes on behind closed doors, and what DOES is often astonishing, because people can and do exhibit behaviors with their significant others that no one else in their lives EVER sees. For example, a man I know who’s astonishingly sweet and sensitive truly believes that, if a woman cries during a fight with him, she is ALWAYS faking in an attempt to manipulate him, and so a woman’s tears cause him to become outraged and nasty (an ex of his told me about this, and he freely admitted to it when asked); he’s a brilliant man, but he refuses to see the connection between upset and tears.

III) A “nice” guy is still living in the same world the rest of us are, where, for the first time in history, non-marriage intimate relationships and divorce are common, and, like most people, he hasn’t figured out what to do to keep a significant other with him when they have other socially acceptable choices.

We often think that, by being “nice,” the man has somehow won the right to be immune to all of the confusions and troubles the rest of us have with trying to make relationships work in this transitional period in cultural history when we have new freedoms and choices and no idea how to handle them to our best advantage yet... but, he’s NOT, so he can fail from simply being a modern person, just like anyone else can.

I hope this makes the true nice guys out there feel a little bit better about their attractiveness to women.

------------------

I will NEVER return to a thread once I've posted there. To well-wishers; sorry!! To all others; :p

The truth will set you free..... but first, it'll REALLY p!ss you off.

"You may be on the right track, but the train will run you over if you just sit there." -- Will Rogers

[This message has been edited by Princess-Spock (edited 07-30-2002).]

Flyguy3663

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Very good post Princess Spock. I think most of the men here(myself included) came here with a TON of those bad personality traits that lead to being called a "nice guy". Or in other words a worthless loser that could in no way be sexually attractive once he opend his mouth up..

Yo to all the AFC's and Chump nice guys read this post. She knows her $hit. Make the adjustments in yourself and go out and get girls..

SexPDX

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Nice to see you actually contribute something since you are on the chopping block to be banned, LOL! BTW, that signature is obnoxious and it is a LIE! Anyway, my thoughts on your post...

Originally posted by Princess-Spock:
This is part of one of my posts to a psychology forum, adapted slightly to hopefully provide a little more insight on a common topic around here:
Actually, it's a done to death newbie theme that is UNFORTUNATELY still a common topic, but what the hell, I feel like repeating myself for some oddd reason so I will

Part of it is perception:

A) We get worked up when we see a ?nice guy? unattached or dumped, but we don?t BLINK when we see a JERK unattached or dumped, so we end up with the same sort of warped perception that leads doctors and nurses to SWEAR that hospitals are busier during a full moon-that being ?a nice guy? means that women won?t want you.
Women actually do like nice guys who are not supplicating pansies that they can walk all over. However with a nice guy, there exists a potential for an emotional connection. Not so much with a jerk. This is why the non-chump nice guy is viewed as more of an LTR prospect than a no-strings attatched roll in the hay.

A woman that wants to fvck (and most women do) would not feel as bad about tossing off an emotionally detatched jerk with whom they will not empaphize once he is out of their life. Also, the clingliness of the nice guy will often,like you said, put the woman in a position to have to FORCE him out of her life, which she would rather not have to do.

B) We don?t take into account that initial attraction is often based on pure surface flash, which jerks have honed to a science to use as a tool, while nice guys, like non-beautiful women, are less able to generate that immediate surge of excitement.... which means only that women are human with adrenal glands and hormones, NOT that they?re ?choosing? jerks over nice guys.
And this is why women will SAY they want a nice guy when they describe what they WANT, however what they WANT and what they RESPOND TO are two entirely different things. Many of the women who have contributed to this forum in the past have frustrated the DJ's with their lack of acknowledgement of that simple fact.

C) We forget that jerks either don?t form relationships or, if they do, they like to do the dumping, and that since nice guys aren?t so quick on the trigger, and may hang around long enough to BE dumped, we associate ?getting dumped? with ?being a nice guy.?
On a concious level women think that the men of their dreams are supplicants who will chase them endlessly, but at the same time have complete disdain and loathing for guys that they KNOW will be there no matter what.

[snip]

Part of it is that when we say ?oh, he?s a nice guy,? what we REALLY mean is:

1) ?I don?t know him that well, but he ?seems? nice.?

We all like to believe that we?re great judges of character, but, let?s face it, ANYONE can make polite conversation with acquaintances, and it doesn?t mean that they?re ?nice.? (What do the neighbors and co-workers of serial killers always say? ?I can?t believe it-he seemed like such a NICE man.?) There are plenty of rotten people who can be perfectly civil when it suits them, but they are NOT therefore ?nice guys? or good relationship choices.

2) ?He?s a ?Yes-Man??

We generally assume that anyone who agrees (says ?yes? to everything), nods and smiles alot is ?nice,? but all that REALLY means is that they have NO clue as to how to have real social interaction with anyone. Someone with that big of a lack of people skills does NOT make a good relationship prospect.

3) ?He has no particular qualities that stand out.?
What you are talking about here is "nice" as in the generic "I don't know what else to say about this person" sense. In this way "nice" simply means "boring" the way I see it. And women definitely don't like that.

The kind of nice we are talking about on this board is different. It is the tendendcy to empathize and be considerate of others. This is not necessarily a BAD quality but that really depends on where it is coming from. If it is coming from a genuine interest in others and what is important to them then it is good. If it comes from a fear of others, a need to locate in others and THEIR needs rather than you and YOUR OWN needs, a desire to regress into a familiar role of passive existence or a combination of these then it is bad.

Nick

------------------
- The seductionist formerly known as trickynick

You either own the game or it owns you.

~"Pon atencion al latido de tu corazon...y el ritmo de tu respiracion...como te permites llegar a ser completamente llevada...por la conexion que esta tomando lugar." ~

Reaction score
Phew, your actually posting helpful advice... You were gonna be #1 on my enemy list! Nice advice.

------------------
Mean people suck.

Nice people
SWALLOW

Pancho

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Lol....guys i think we should start a Sosuave drinking game. Every time Nicky says "supplicating", we do a shot. We'll all be smashed by the end of the night!

Just buggin ya, bro

Pancho

------------------
If all men were created equal, then how is it im better? --Pancho

darkhorse

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
III) ...for the first time in history, non-marriage intimate relationships and divorce are common...

Just had to flag this one blatant untruth. The rest of the post was pretty good.

Bonhomme

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Why bother replying *to her*, seeing as how she doesn't want to engage us in a proper *discussion*?

To those of you who are in your early stages of DJ learning, please note the following excerpt:

"We don't take into account that initial attraction is often based on pure surface flash, which jerks have honed to a science to use as a tool, while nice guys, like non-beautiful women, are less able to generate that immediate surge of excitement.... which means only that women are human with adrenal glands and hormones, NOT that they're "choosing" jerks over nice guys."

So they're not "choosing" jerks over nice guys, but they *are* choosing jerks over nice guys. Wildfyre wrote the same sort of thing in one of her posts, but I got her point a little better.

Still, why don't the gals just cut the doublespeak and admit women *do* choose jerks over nice guys, even though they may not *realize* it at the time?

Are we not here to learn how to generate that initial surge of excitement?

The moral of the story? Learn from the jerks what you need to do to be attractive to women. But you need not be a jerk deep down to do so. Remember the surface appearances. You can improve your *style* without ditching your *substance*.

[This message has been edited by Bonhomme (edited 07-31-2002).]

Wyldfire

Banned
Reaction score
I can only speak for myself here. I've been with one "jerk". What attracted me to him? Simple, it was his looks. Although looking back I can now see some relatively well hidden "little red flags" that were present while we were dating, but since he was my first real relationship I didn't really have the knowledge necessary to spot them. He became a jerk AFTER I married him. I stuck around for as long as I did NOT because I found anything appealing about his "jerkiness". I stuck around because I loved the man I THOUGHT I married...the one who hid his jerky behavior. I basically didn't realize that I was seeing the real him when Mr. Jerk surfaced.

Seriously, he is a "closet jerk"...meaning that he only shows his true colors to people who really know him well and he puts on a phony act whenever anyone else is around. He has it down to a science too.

All you need to know when a woman rejects you but says that you are "nice" it just means that she's no attracted to you. It's not anything you are doing wrong personality wise, or even behavior wise. It just means she doesn't find you visually appealing in 99 our of 100 cases.

Bonhomme

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I think it's more often that the woman doesn't find the man's *personality* appealing, but it could be either.

Wildfyre, you do seem to be atypically visually-oriented for a woman. No value judgment here, just an observation. Everybody has their own perspective on things.

That's not the real core of this discussion, as I see it, though. The point is, "nice" is often used as a euphemism for "does not turn me on," for whatever reason.

If the gal is flirty at any point in the game, it's most likely down to personality. If she's cold right from square one, it's more likely down to appearance and/or just how the man carries himself.

Wyldfire

Banned
Reaction score
Originally posted by Bonhomme:
I think it's more often that the woman doesn't find the man's *personality* appealing, but it could be either.

Wildfyre, you do seem to be atypically visually-oriented for a woman. No value judgment here, just an observation. Everybody has their own perspective on things.

That's not the real core of this discussion, as I see it, though. The point is, "nice" is often used as a euphemism for "does not turn me on," for whatever reason.

If the gal is flirty at any point in the game, it's most likely down to personality. If she's cold right from square one, it's more likely down to appearance and/or just how the man carries himself.
If only you could be a fly on the wall listening to a group of women discuss men!

From my experience and observations, women are WAY more visually motivated than men are for the most part. The exceptions are women who are money grubbers who will date rich men they aren't attracted to and then screw around on him.

Every one of my female friends are exactly the way I am about appearance. I've seen them reject guys and then quite clearly say that she didn't like how he looked.

Consider this for a moment...

Men will lower their standards on appearance in order to get sex. Women won't. A man is much more open to the idea of being with a woman he sees as just average looking if he is guaranteed a regular supply of sex. A woman will almost always turn down a guy she sees as average looking because she doesn't have the same urgent need for sex. Women no longer need a man to financiall support her, so that advantage men once had no longer is much of a factor unless he is really wealthy and she is a gold digger.

Most women will deny this tendency until their blue in the face, because they don't want men to know how shallow they really are. I'm extremely shallow about looks and I don't mind admitting it. I honestly believe that's the main difference between myself and most other women. I won't lie about what I'm thinking just to look all innocent and pure.

Bonhomme

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Perhaps.

But I still think women are more likely to reject guys who meet their appearance criteria on account of personality than men are.

Are you implying that you'll go for any guy who's good-looking enough, Wildfyre?

Guess what: a lot of guys *will* gladly fvck almost any gal who's good-looking enough.

Hell, even the most adept players will still strike out with most gals who are *initially* attracted to them.

The reason I bring this up is for the sake of the guys who are working on improving their game: don't let Wildfyre's post lead you to believe you're a hopeless case and you'll never get any just because you're not getting any now on account of not looking good enough.

While appearance may be important, there's a hell of a lot more that can turn a gal off.

mahon83050

Banned
Reaction score
Wlydefire,

I still think you are a rare exception: I work at a bar and atleast once a week i will see a girl with a guy who is no prize in the looks department. Very, very rarely do you see the opposite.

For example,

Look at all the girls (including my sister) who drool over that bald headed goof Vin Diesel. The man is tall and ripped, but he is bald and has an average at Best face. He is far from handsome, and the chicks think he is the hottest thing. My sister even says..he is not a good-looking man, but he is sexy as hell.

I am reading a book by a guy named Rom Willis..called Rom Willis. He says a mans face is the least important quality women look for in a man. I think looks do matter for a woman....but it has to do more with his fit body, his dress style, his teeth and his grooming. Based on what i have seen and heard, i do not think woman are as focused on the face as men are. You must be a rare exception.

mahon83050

Banned
Reaction score
Oh and by the way, I am not disagreeing with you because i am insecure with my looks. Ok, i do not have a gorgeous face, nor am i a pretty boy....but i can hold my own. I consider myself about a 7 and i have seen guys alot less handsome than me with babes on their sides. I hardly ever see a good-looking guy with a pig on his side. To say women are more shallow than men, is the most ludicrous thing i have ever heard.

Think about it, the male is the dominant sex and wants a pretty girl at his side. No matter how great her personality is, she has to be atleast cute. No on the other hand, woman want a protector, a man they can respect and a confident man first and foremost. A man does not have to have a pretty face to be any of these. That is why CONFIDENCE is more important than looks.

dantheman

Don Juan
Reaction score
IF PS post keep this up she could make it off the hated list I still see some of her prevoius fault in this post but thier small this is the only one I care to mrntion

It may be the nice PC thing to say seem but her own post shows that women do not find "nice guy" traits attractive hence they don't like em no seems about it. What women
want is a alpha male a alpha male can be nice but by being an alpha male he will naturaly have ter traits she mentioned lacking and have many DJ traits.

Flyguy3663

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Mahon,

I think Vin Diesel is so attractive to females because he is the tough guy Alpha Male. We all saw him in the fast and the furious. Do you think the average guy would look the other way if Vin Diesel gave him eye contact?? I sure do. As far as himn being average I am similar to him.. a little darker, wear my hair short, average face, with a really nice body and I get looked at. I think it has to do with your confidence, If you are uncomfortable in your shoes women can sense it.

Wolf in sheep's clothing

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by SexPDX:
Women actually do like nice guys who are not supplicating pansies that they can walk all over. However with a nice guy, there exists a potential for an emotional connection. Not so much with a jerk. This is why the non-chump nice guy is viewed as more of an LTR prospect than a no-strings attatched roll in the hay.

A woman that wants to fvck (and most women do) would not feel as bad about tossing off an emotionally detatched jerk with whom they will not empaphize once he is out of their life. Also, the clingliness of the nice guy will often,like you said, put the woman in a position to have to FORCE him out of her life, which she would rather not have to do.
Bah, this one bit of wisdom alone could have saved me a lot of frustration a couple of years back. I'd stopped being a 'suplicating pansie' (apt term for it) but was still getting burnt. On the flip-side, once I started radiating an aura of 'only interested in a casual relationship, thanks' (dare I call it my 'nice jerk' routine?), its been the girls pushing for the LTR.

Reaction score
No matter how great her personality is, she has to be atleast cute.
-------------------------------

This is absolutely a prerequisite for me. A girl doesn't have to be the best looking thing on the block, but she must be cute. Personality cannot make up for ugliness. I told my gf that if she were ugly, despite the fact that she had a great personality, I would not have gone out with her.

OzzyBoy

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Just a typical message by a female spreading female propoganda to gain an advantage over males.

Medallion

Don Juan
Reaction score
It's good to hear a female perspective. However, don't take her too seriously! This post has some valid points, but it is also a justification for why females don't like nice guys. Read some Pook after you read this to see what women really want.

------------------
---Medallion