Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Why do gay people talk differently?

DrMetallica

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
What is up with gay people talking differently? It's like they have their own accent or something.

italostud

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Perhaps choking down large cylindrical objects, deep into their throats damages their vocal cords?

Scrumtulescence

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Which gay people? You mean the minority of gays who speak effeminitely? I imagine it's because....surprise surprise....they're a lot more feminine than most guys.

Phantasmal

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
I've thought about this before, and it's pretty simple really. Whether we realize it or not, the way we use our voice is somewhat conditioned by our surroundings. Not entirely, but somewhat. Try talking like a gay guy. Anybody can do it. The only difference is our self-image. Many gays embrace a more feminine self-image, so they use their voice in a more feminine way, dress differently, etc. This isn't really a conscious decision for them, nor is it for us.

thekingdooder

Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by Phantasmal
I've thought about this before, and it's pretty simple really. Whether we realize it or not, the way we use our voice is somewhat conditioned by our surroundings. Not entirely, but somewhat. Try talking like a gay guy. Anybody can do it. The only difference is our self-image. Many gays embrace a more feminine self-image, so they use their voice in a more feminine way, dress differently, etc. This isn't really a conscious decision for them, nor is it for us.
I agree, but I see it as more of a "cultural" thing, you know, like people who listen to Hip-Hop talking differently.

Vincent

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by Phantasmal
Many gays embrace a more feminine self-image, so they use their voice in a more feminine way
This is it. There's a gay guy that my friend's ex-girlfriend was friends with, he came to a couple of my parties I never really talked to him, so I guess he was an aquantance(sp?), and he definetely talks with a "gay" tone of voice.

I asked my friend about it and he said that it probably started off trying to act more feminine, then it just became habit.

Unregistered

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I've thought about this. It's not any different, I guess, than the middle-class suburban Midwestern white kids that start talking ghetto.

I've just always wondered if it was a conscious effort. It seems almost impossible to constantly adjust your speech habits.

Vincent

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by Unregistered
I've just always wondered if it was a conscious effort. It seems almost impossible to constantly adjust your speech habits.
As I said, they do it to act more feminine, and after a while it just shifts. It's like people dropping their accent, same basic idea really.