Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Why do/did you feel a lack of confidence?

Fatality

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I assume that the reason alot of guys are here is because they lacked confidence around women. What makes YOU lack confidence. Do you feel that you were just somehow naturally insecure or did you have bad experiences in your life like maybe your parents were demeaning to you in some way or maybe you were picked on by bullies in school.

Do you think there is a reason that you lack/lacked confidence in yourself?

Me, I was bullied in school.

What about you?

tom121

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
for me:

ugly acned face and skinny body :(

it's hard to change that in such short time but I will do what I can to avoid it, it will be better in long term

DeathDealer

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Those that are less attractive, skinny/fat, etc.. not handsome, sport jock like, musician like.. will have less confidence which stems from childhood/bad parenting/etc.

If you are one of the unlucky kind of nervous wrecks, shy types, or just clueless. That's ok. Make as many mistakes as you can with girls cause (TRUST ME ON THIS) it'll make you prepare for future events and being able to cope with it. Work out, improve what you wear, focus on career and you should be okay even though you'll still have some childhood baggage.

Deep Dark Steel

Don Juan
Reaction score
(First post, new to the site)
Well I went through chemotherapy and lost all my hair, grew a greyish complexion and dropped oh 50-60 pounds. Needless to say when I reentered the world I was rather bashful since I knew I looked like I had returned from the crypt.

I was 6'6 140 pounds or so afterward, so I looked like a creature out of a poor sci-fi movie. My confidence was shot though I had some great looking female friends who were with me through even the worst of my illness. Eventually my confidence came back up through my sheer *******ness(made up a word ^.^). I finally determined that I had been under the rock long enough and that I had trained and gained back to the point where I could re-emerge the titan I was before I got sick.

In short, my vainity killed my confidence after an uncontrollable incident and said vanity and narcicism brought me back.

malliotjaune

Don Juan
Reaction score
At first it was that I was always told i was crap at everything as a child and not to get my hopes up about anything.

Then, when i left uni and started to make my own way in the world i got sacked and dumped and thrown outta the house i was living in on my birthday!

That made me incredibly depressed so i got sent to therapy and then, after that, i ran away from the world for a while and then decided i needed to do something about it. That not believing in myself had held me back from a lot of stuff over the years.

Blue Phoenix

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Hey!

Sometimes insecurity reach a point that is related to "personalities disorders"!

To the ones interested, you should take a look at this link here! and take the test as I and others took!

I'll post my experiences related to this thread soon!

Matt Rogers

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Great post, Fatality (hope we are cool even though we disagreed regarding my tip). I think insecurity is the main thing that holds people back. Other people tend to take the same opinion of you that you have of yourself, so healthy self-esteem is essential. If you think you are an attractive guy with a lot to offer to women, then chances are a good propotion of women will think the same.

Anyway my insecurity derives from horrible acne as a teenager, lack of experience with girls (went to an all-boy school and took a while to get over the shyness with girls),bullied when i was little and always excluded from the popular crowd, not being one of the beautiful people (I am very vain), and not having a lot of social skills. Lot of baggage but over the last few years I have been slowly getting over it and seeing my confidence emerge.

I think the key is to accept yourself and while you strive to improve yourself, accepting how you are with all your flaws and strengths.

I think there should be more focus on this site on stuff like this, as i believe true confidence flows from being able to accept yourself and believing that despite not being perfect you are worthy of affection and love from women.

Scrumtulescence

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by tom121
for me:

ugly acned face and skinny body :(

it's hard to change that in such short time but I will do what I can to avoid it, it will be better in long term
Have you tried proactiv, or those cheap $20 proactiv knock-offs at Walgreens? It works really well.

As for me, I went through most of my teenage/college-years life with little to zero self-esteem or hope for anything good to happen in my life.....basically, depression and social anxiety. Over the past year I've changed a lot, but that kind of thing still affects you. I don't have great conversational skills, and don't feel like I have much to relate to people with. So I just have this fear, in approaching people and conversing with them and getting to know them, that they won't find my interesting or worth talking to or being around.

Matt Rogers

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
hi tom121. I used to have the skinny body but I have outgrown that literally! PM me if you want advice on building yourself up.

scrumtulescence, i have the same sort of problems. I have developed social skills but i still don't really feel i connect to people and don't really have many people i would call friends.

Reaction score
Physically and emotionally abused by my dad, and I was emotionally abused by my aunt and grandma. In school, I was constantly attacked physically by the jocks. Add in that I am not physically attractive in the leastas well as a whole host of other problems, and I'm pretty much screwed.

Makes it very tough to want to deal with women right now.

white korea

Reaction score
i was sexually molested by my mother and sister at the age of 5 until 8. At age 8 a speech development therapist (woman) would play with my genitiles as if it were a natural social occurence. This flawed my thinking in regards to women even until today, weras i am 29 and have never had a girlfriend. The only times i've had intercourse were with korean bathhouse girls, or women of african american persuastion, but only after getting mind bending drunk. i guess the fact that i am left handed and a virgo doesnt help much either. ;(

Reaction score
i came here mostly to help others, but a forum is always to improve one self, its how i now understand all about health and workin out, because i was part of a few forums,

In teaching one learns.

Reaction score
Originally posted by white korea
i was sexually molested by my mother and sister at the age of 5 until 8. At age 8 a speech development therapist (woman) would play with my genitiles as if it were a natural social occurence. This flawed my thinking in regards to women even until today, weras i am 29 and have never had a girlfriend. The only times i've had intercourse were with korean bathhouse girls, or women of african american persuastion, but only after getting mind bending drunk. i guess the fact that i am left handed and a virgo doesnt help much either. ;(
ah the truth from you for once

LikerOfWomen

Don Juan
Reaction score
My problem's always been nice guy syndrome. I was brainwashed into trying to impress girls by being nice to them and showering attention on them, and when they said they just wanted to be friends, I'd been so misled I was actually thinking that if I just paid enough attention and treated them nice enough they'd come around... needless to say that made for some lengthy, painful, scarring relationships that never went anywhere.

I've also fallen for some freak girls who hated kino because of childhood problems and various other things that left me with 101 major wrong impressions about what girls do and do not like.

jakethasnake

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by huge_guy_pimpin
ah the truth from you for once
Do you honestly think that whitekorea is telling the truth on that count? :rolleyes: I've never heard of anyone being molested by a *sister*. A brother, maybe, but not a sister. This clown is about 3 steps away from being banned.

Reaction score
Originally posted by jakethasnake
Do you honestly think that whitekorea is telling the truth on that count? :rolleyes: I've never heard of anyone being molested by a *sister*. A brother, maybe, but not a sister. This clown is about 3 steps away from being banned.
of course, ive seen videos of it, he hides them and when he has enough he will show to cops, but he told me that he sometimes watches them and touches himself, so maybe he wont do it, he told me. its his choice.

true|hockey

Don Juan
Reaction score
never had a g/f longer than a week. I guess its the past of lack of scoring that is the only thing that still gets to me. That is, if I let it bother me. lately, I dont have the time to care, nor did I throughout much of college unfortuantly.

I am sure the next girl I get interested in, won't last only a week :) but for now, its finishing school up for the semester.

christz

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
when i was a freshman and sophmore in highschool i got picked on HARDCORE like in a crowded area.. and people would pass and laugh as it was happening.

that happend all the way up until my junior senior year where, dressing better and looking 110% different i was able to get back at all the guys who picked on me by stealing girlfriends and hooking up with girls that treated me bad just to break their hearts.

ever since i graduated i've been somewhat insecure when a attractive girl thinks i'm hot my mind goes back to high school in a split second and i think she's jokeing. its terrible I thought i needed thearpy at one point as well

Blue Phoenix

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I didn't have a "good" role model from my parents!

My mom was too submissive and avoided confrontations. When we had a problem she'd pretend not to see it (it sucked). My dad was too demanding, harsh, cold and distant most of the times. If I didn't do what he wanted, he'd get angry/shout and I'd get scared! I had to be careful with what I was going to say, otherwise he'd have his temper tantrums and I'd fell so bad/scared!

This made me really "insecure", "sensitive" to criticism. I had the feeling I was "trained" not to have personal opinion, neither skills/power to cope with the situations out there! I was too overprotected thus sometimes I didn't know what to do!

(all that happened most in my infancy until my teen era).

It's been a hard path, but I'm improving!

Abbott

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Warning: LONG!

WARNING: This is quite long, and depressing. I only posted this because of the question by the thread starter, and because it seems only fair after reading what everyone else wrote.

When I was in first year I was picked on by some second and third graders (silly I know, but a big deal at the time).

After that I was transferred to a school for retarded and mentally ill children. I wasn't retarded or mentally ill. The only problem I had was saying the "F" sound when I should've used the "TH" sound, like: One two free, instead of one two three.

However, the P.E. teachers there were positively evil to the children. One teacher bent my body when I couldn't stretch far enough, which made me scream. Another time when I was watching a game in their gym, the ball accidentally went into the audience and hit me. When I whined the gym teacher basically told me to shut up.

After fourth year I went to the best junior high school ever. It was a private secular school where there was a small student to teacher (6-to-1 at the time) ratio. The rules were lax, and people behaved themselves. Fifth year was hard, but after that things were great. I liked the fact that the environment was small and that everyone knew everyone (we even went to the teacher's house a few times, and went on field trips a lot). What I didn't know was that this small environment was going to make me suffer.

Then it happened...I couldn't get into any local private schools in the area so I went to the public school. I was so shocked. I was shy because at my old school I rarely met anyone new (because it's so small), and I go too comfortable with everyone there. In each class in high school, there were over twice as many students as there were TOTAL (total years 5-8) at my old school. This freaked me out and made me even more shy.

That made it hard to meet any new friends. I didn't like high school (and almost no one does), but I felt that I really HATED it. This feeling of animosity would only grow in the later years.

Freshman year, I didn't realize it at the time, but I was making a bad reputation, and becoming uncool (rep. is always a big deal in high school). After a while, I was too cool and not nerdy enough for the nerds, too uncool for the preps, and preppy for the goths and punks (plus that I just don't dress like that...it's stupid).

My biggest monumental mistake was the one time a couple preppy people invited me to a party freshman year, and I said 'no' because I had a paper route at the time (I should've said yes, I could've gone if I really wanted to). After that I wasn't cool enough. Also, there was this one chick I tried to hook-up with, but I made some AFC mistakes so I kind of got soured on women after that didn't work out (looking up her number like a creep, and then calling her every other to every night).

Also, since I was already uncool, the fact that I had to wait until 5PM before I could leave school made me more uncool (because my mother didn't get off work until 4:30PM). This lasted until the end of sophomore year, since I turned 16 in time for my Junior year.

Sophomore year, I made the big mistake of getting a job at a fast-food joint, the ultimate in uncool. That lowered my social standing and made things worse.

I nearly mustered up the courage (because of my extreme insecurity at the time that would've been necessary) to ask some Junior girl to take me to the Prom, but I didn't (at my school if you weren't a Junior or Senior, you needed to go with someone who was).

Junior year, I started getting "junior-ritis," counting down the amount of hell I had left. I found this site around the middle of junior year, which really helped open up my eyes to the big picture. By that time, I was already a serious loser who still didn't have any friends and never had a date, and it was already WAY too late for me to do anything about it. However, I did meet a group of people that would be important later (after high school they went to local schools and I started hanging out with them after they finished high school).

Believe it or not, I actually ran for Junior Class board, and got in. However I decided that I couldn't do it (time constraints, the other members being snobby b|tches, and I didn't know how to deal with them at the time). That year I went to Prom alone, and I wish I had never gone (because it costs a lot). Basically I went so I could say I went.

Senior year, I got a serious case of "Senior-ritis." I wasn't caring about many of my classes anymore (I barely passed a couple classes in my final semester), and I basically gave up on ever trying to have any friends in high school. It was also the time that I decided that something needed to change if I didn't want crap like this to continue. I tried being cooler about things, and changing my clothing style from non-existent to better.

That year, I met a girl from the local university (who also happened to be alumni at my high school) who I thought I might be able to like, and might like me back. The remarkable thing was that I did well given my dire inexperience. I made AFC mistakes, but not as bad as many people might have done (I talked to a knowledgable someone here once about it, and that's what he said).

Unfortunately, I tried to impress her, and I still called about once a week, more often than I should have. I was even planning on going to Prom with her, but that didn't work out. I couldn't even get a couple of hot preppy freshmen girls to go with me (said their parents won't let them, so it's not my fault...plus they wouldn't lie, because a freshman at the Prom is the best thing that can ever happen to them).

Also in my final semester I started going to some local college parties with some friends that already finished high school, the same group that I met Junior year. This helped me look forward to some of the good things that I could look forward to after high school.

Near the end of my high school years, I decided that I needed to make some serious changes. In college there would be parties, so I could meet women there. Also, I was starting new where almost no-one would know about what a loser I was in high school. I started fixing up my hair, and paying more attention to my clothing style. I also made some changes to my attitude and personality, implementing good things I saw and read, and ditching bad things. I'm traditional by nature, but I decided that I should probably be a little bit more like the "prep" group, but not exactly like them. This is because they're more likely to be associated with cool.

I also quit that terrible food-service job, which I hated and made me seriously depressed, shortly before my FINAL finals. My parents were willing to just give me money so I figured I should just jump at the chance.

Nowadays, I'm only concerned about the fact that I haven't been able to meet any women that I both like and I like back (I've met women in either category, but not both).

I'm now very, very confident. I say things that I probably wouldn't have dreamed of saying back in high school. I show power and control, refusing to take any crap from anyone. I don't worry much if someone gets upset at me, unless it's a friend.

The only things that work against me now are the fact that I think these things a lot:
- I have some animosity towards women, because of games they play.
- I feel that it's a war between women and men, where men have to defend themselves or get taken advantage of (which happens to AFCs).
- I think that women are out to get us, wanting only money, power/social status, and looks. This view might change if I can really get good at my game.

Wow...that was a mouthful. I'm done now.

Ben