Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Where to get a Cheap Car?

nicksaiz65

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Okay guys, not having a car is getting extremely extremely annoying. I think it's about time for me to start thinking about getting one soon. I'm just now learning to think about adult things like this because I've been an immature fvckboi.

I'm still in college so for now, I'm a broke boi. So where does one get a car for somewhat cheap? What's the rate I could get one for? Ideally, I'd like to not drive a complete clunker but I know beggars can't be choosers.

Also how do I become less of a sh*tty driver? I'm just awful. Even though I put in the 50 hours of practice that the state made you do(all my friends didn't.)

nicksaiz65

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
If you’re broke, car is the worst decision you can make. Stack paper and invest in your city’s metro card.
Unfortunately that's not really too much of a thing where I live. Public transportation provided by the city seems to be more of a thing up North

backseatjuan

Banned
Reaction score
In the U.S. there is no public transportation, period. You need to have a car, otherwise you are screwed with everything, starting from basic things, like your job. Secret is to get a reliable car.

What kind of cars do you like?

nicksaiz65

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
In the U.S. there is no public transportation, period. You need to have a car, otherwise you are screwed with everything, starting from basic things, like your job. Secret is to get a reliable car.

What kind of cars do you like?
The kind that has wheels and takes me places hahaha. I can't afford to be picky just yet.

I just don't wanna get a car with 150,000 or 200,000 miles on it. That's just asking for trouble.

It looks like a brand new car for cheap(Nissan) would run me about $12,000. Maybe it'd be better to start working out of college and then get the car.

A Mitsubishi is a good cheap car too.

Last edited:

backseatjuan

Banned
Reaction score
My mom just had Nissan Maxima 2008 with 50k miles smoke the fck out, it had worn out valve guides, with 50k miles. Wtf do you want. Either engine repair for about 5 grand, or new used motor (cat in a box) for same 5 grand. No. Nissan is a bad car.

A Mitsubishi is a good cheap car too.
Another sht car with a whole bunch of problems.

Good Japanese car is a Toyota. Good ford car is a 4.6L V8 2 valve, not 3 valve, and not 4 valve, because those had problems with variable valve timing passages getting clogged.

Ford crown victoria is an excellent car from all points of view, mechanically sound, can take high miles, and from attraction stand point, it's a pimp mobile. Demands authority. Same with mercury grand marquis and lincoln town car. I wonder where you live you tho, because there are cheap government auction options available by the area, city in particular. Basically the cars you see on ebay and craiglist are bought from government auctions for cheap, and then flipped for several thousand dollars.

Authority on cars is Scotty Kilmer, always good to ask him about the car's problems, and authority on engines is myvintageiron7512.

Billtx49

Reaction score
My mom just had Nissan Maxima 2008 with 50k miles smoke the fck out, it had worn out valve guides, with 50k miles.
Regular interval oil changes can do wonders…
Require verifiable service records before Any used purchase. Intelligent vehicle owners keep records on hand, maintenance up, and those records can transfer to a dealer…

sazc

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
CarMax.com

I'd give you the name of my guy but you probably don't live close.

As to how to become a better driver, lock your phone in the trunk when you drive and always assume every one driving around you is going to fvck up. Beware

backseatjuan

Banned
Reaction score
Regular interval oil changes can do wonders…
Here lies a problem with a used car. Nowadays 'regular' interval oil changes can mean many things, 10k miles, even 15k miles. While a normal regular oil change interval should be 3k miles for city driving or 5k miles for highway driving. So you have no clue what you are getting. The car that is well documented, with all its oil changes on schedule can be sht, because manufacturer's oil change interval is sht. With police, city, and county vehicles you know at least maintenance was done on time and properly.

Billtx49

Reaction score
Here lies a problem with a used car. Nowadays 'regular' interval oil changes can mean many things, 10k miles, even 15k miles. While a normal regular oil change interval should be 3k miles for city driving or 5k miles for highway driving. So you have no clue what you are getting. The car that is well documented, with all its oil changes on schedule can be sht, because manufacturer's oil change interval is sht. With police, city, and county vehicles you know at least maintenance was done on time and properly.
Never heard of a 10-15k interval. My newest vehicle uses synthetic and it’s recommended at 7500, which I think is high, so I change at 6k.…
Your 3 and 5k numbers go back to standard oils and old style motors…
I did that 30 years ago.

backseatjuan

Banned
Reaction score
old style motors
What is a new style motor? A motor with variable cam timing, and thin oil passages which are somewhat sensitive to clogging up? Why change oil on new style motors less frequently then. It is to minimize maintenance cost and maximize financial appeal of the car, because people must buy cars often, otherwise manufacturer's don't make money. BMW & Mercedes learned it in late 80s and early 90s.

You tell me now, would it be a good idea to buy car off your hands knowing that you changed your oil every 6k miles?

I think not.

Then there is also such thing called life time transmission fluid, which is bull sht. Because 'life time' really only means during warranty period, past factory warranty is not considered 'life time'.

Watch more Scotty Kilmer.

Billtx49

Reaction score
What is a new style motor? A motor with variable cam timing, and thin oil passages which are somewhat sensitive to clogging up?
Variable timing Absolutely depends on timely clean fresh oil changes for the timing solenoid oil passages. They run on oil flow… They get clogged with old oil, motor runs like crap…
Oil gets dirty, thick, and filthy, you risk your motor…
This thread is getting of topic btw, start a new thread if you want to talk vehicle maintenance .

zekko

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Too bad BigDave got suspended, he could have sold you one.

zekko

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I miss his threads, when will he be back?
I think he's on 45 day leave. I never really understood people's objections to his threads. If you don't like them, just don't read them. Problem solved.

RickTheToad

Reaction score
I've bought my last two online from dealers who live within a hundred mile radius. Check out eBay autos, and autotrader.com. Additionally, if you are a Costo Member, check out their auto buying program (https://www.costcoauto.com/enterzipcode.aspx?gotourl=/). It's second to none. Well worth the 50 bucks yearly membership. Word to the wise, you always want a private inspection if you buy it from a private party. If from a dealer. you want a warranty or buy certified pre-owned.

If you want to really go cheap, you can buy, like others suggested, a Ford Crown Vic. They will go through wall and keep on going. Cheap parts, reliable and cheap to fix. In addition, you can fix a lot of things with the older Crown Vics on your own along with Youtube. The police interceptor ones are the sh!t. Link below.

backseatjuan

Banned
Reaction score
Ok, you gotta realize that government does not list their cars on eBay, those are all private parties, so you will pay more. You gotta go to google and type in your city or county name followed by auction. Like this

Oh look, a ford crown victoria for $325 current bid https://www.propertyroom.com/l/2006-ford-crown-victoria-medford-ny-11763/13156005

Ford F250 for $750 https://www.propertyroom.com/l/2005-ford-f250-medford-ny-11763/13156511

Then once you find your vehicle, you gotta go there and look it over, start it, look for rust.

eBay is also a viable option, same with craigslist, but you will pay a bit more.

For crown vic, grand marquis, marauder, and lincoln town car, 150,000 is not high mileage.

Mike32ct

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Eastern Time Zone where it's always really late
Agree about Crown Vic/Grand Marquis/etc. But they are physically large cars with V8 power, so be careful as a beginner.

If you want something smaller, Toyota or Honda is reliable.

For tips on becoming a better driver:

1. I would practice driving a LOT during really quiet (traffic-wise) times such as early Sunday morning to get your confidence up. Then later you can tackle heavier traffic*. The 50 hours you did was an intro. Just barely scratches the surface. Be patient and practice a lot.

2. Like Sazc says, put the phone away. Don’t start a really dangerous habit of playing with your phone while driving. If the car in front of you slams on the brakes, you just lost a few seconds of valuable reaction time.

3. It took me years to fully understand (and master) what “driving defensively” meant. It’s doing everything possible to avoid a collision. There is no “It wasn’t my fault.” Be in control of your vehicle and vigilant at all times.

4. Leave plenty of braking distance. Yes, other pricks on the highway will move into the “gap” in front of you, but you just have to adjust again and create another gap.

*My driving instructor put me on Interstate 95 in heavy traffic the very first day I ever drove. I almost shyte a brick lol.

EyeBRollin

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Unfortunately that's not really too much of a thing where I live. Public transportation provided by the city seems to be more of a thing up North
That’s a sign to move. Cars are a huge expense. Broke people should not own cars. You’re better off even using Uber or Lyft.