Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Where have all the real martial arts gone?

blackbelt2k

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
typical said:
My trainer told me that In a fight I shouldnt have to be the one trying to read what the other guy was doing but forcing the other guy to try and read what I was going to do next. I think it means that I should always be the one that strikes first and get the other guy to back down.

And trust me learning to always be offensive is very very good, plus I'd rather be the aggressor then try and sit back and defend and counter.

agreed.. but an a fake, and a trap are also offenisive moves as well... you should never sit and wait, but if you can trap the other guy into commiting a move your ready for, then its lights out for him:up:

Master Bates

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
blackbelt2k said:
So im sitting at my desk, checking out a video of a ucf match. I used to like this stuff, but lately, I'm begining to see its garbage. This extends to boxing, and other martial arts as well. The last few boxing matches i've seen, were only slightly better than the MMA matches. In mma(ufc, pride, etc) there is no real martial arts, its just idiots swinging punches and kicks wildly, hoping one will connect. Where are the fakes, the sidesteps, the motions, the traps?? They just don't exist anymore. Correct me if i'm wrong, but i think the reason these fights SUCK, is because none of these guys took the time to progess enough in one art to actually start being able to read opponents..your supposed to be able to tell what the guy is going to do before he does it? And then the unmixed arts, wtf is this point bs?? who the hell cares if you tap a guy on the head with a kick...one kick to the head should put the guy on his ass... ugh....what do yall think?
There's martial arts, and then there's fighting. UFC/MMA is the latter. There are reasons it's called martial arts after all. Fighting styles such as muay thai kickboxing, BBJ, etc are simply more effective as real fighting styles than the "true martial arts". While "true martial artists" are worrying about keeping perfect form in a fight, MMAers will kick the sh*t out of them. That's the reality of it.

You seem to be bitter about the popularity of MMA or something, calling it "garbage", "pointless", just swinging punches....you obviously just don't understand it.

The real martial arts haven't gone anywhere. They still serve the same purpose they always have. But people are beginning to wise up to the fact that karate/kung fu/tae kwon do/etc aren't so much effective fighting styles as they are (martial)arts. When it comes to learning how to fight, MMA is the way to go.

Le Parisien

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Master Bates said:
The real martial arts haven't gone anywhere. They still serve the same purpose they always have. But people are beginning to wise up to the fact that karate/kung fu/tae kwon do/etc aren't so much effective fighting styles as they are (martial)arts. When it comes to learning how to fight, MMA is the way to go.
If "real" martial arts were just there for show, they won't have existed for more than 1000 years.:nono:

Actually because society has evolved, there are rules when you have fighting competitions.

Back in the time, even just 100 years ago, people in China would have fighting tournaments al around the country, and all the competitors would need to sign a waiver so if death ensues (and that happended a lot), otherd won't be held responsable.

It's true that nowadays, traditional martial arts are forced to become "for show", because modern society can't accept such barbarian violence. When you see Kung Fu demonstrations, most moves are slowed down and rehearsed, but it's not what it's meant to be.

So it's not that martial arts are not effective, they are too effective in our modern society. If you don't want to be locked up for life or get te chair, you better not know/use "thaditional" martial arts the way it was meant to be.

sactown1

Don Juan
Reaction score
When I used to do Tae Kwon do and later Choy li fut kung fu I would look at mua y thai and MMA and think, "Those guys have no technique, I could probably take them out." After I started Muay Thai, and got pwned by beginners I had a change of heart. Believe in a live setting those fancy techniques and forms will not help you.

Mctwist4

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
You would get your ass kicked out there. The **** they are doing is real. It may look like a fury of punches, but I assure you it's a lot more complicated than that. What do you want to see...some Jackie Chan ****?

TheHoff

Banned
Reaction score
OMFG.....how the hell can you say with a straight face that MMA fighters haven't devloped skills in a specific martial art??!! Your ignorance annoys me!

Most of the Top fighters are champions of one specific martial art (this is their strength) and then they learn other ones to a lesser degree to develop a more well- round game. There are too many examples of this so i could be here all day...but heres one example:

Karo Paryisan, Probably the worlds best Judoka.. who can judo throw heavyweights, which is remarkable for his weight (welterweight). He has had to develop a stand-up game of late of else he wouldn't be able to compete in the octagon as he would most likely get KTFO! My point being that learning one martial art is not enough anymore. UFC fighters are not just chumps you pick of the street, they are TRAINED FIGHTERS, who can defend against martial arts. , and consequently it is unrealistic and would prove unsuccessful for a fighter to disrespect his opponent to try beat him with a few fancy dancmoves! This is real fighting and the fighters must respect each others in the octagon or else they will be knocked out Cro cop style!

Next time do more research

TheHoff

Banned
Reaction score
Le Parisien said:
If "real" martial arts were just there for show, they won't have existed for more than 1000 years.:nono:

So it's not that martial arts are not effective, they are too effective in our modern society. If you don't want to be locked up for life or get te chair, you better not know/use "thaditional" martial arts the way it was meant to be.
STFU, a traditonal matial atrist would get owned in the cage! Come back to me when you know what you are talking about

blackbelt2k

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
yea right, i have fought mma, and currently enjoying it. I never said it was bad to learn more than one style. I went to college thinking i was a badass cuz i won many national and international tournaments in tkd..then i met some bjj guys, and yea, when they got me on the ground i was like a fish out of water...So i adapted and learned bjj, now 3 years later, the majority of bjj guys can still tap me on the ground, but thats IF they get me on the ground.. standing however, i light these guys up..and the muy tai isn't any different from a traditional martial arts...what you think they are the only people that kick low and knee...maybe you should start doing some research

Reaction score
blackbelt2k said:
I do not consider myself a master in anyway, and your quite wrong, all the techniques you learn are effective in any martial art, its just depends on if you really understand how to use them...but, anyway, I do watch pride, k1, tai boxing ... I said the majority of it is bad, of course there are a few outstanding fighters.
I was speaking in the contex of UFC/PRIDE fighting, most martial art MOVES ARE NOT USEFUL AT ALL. All the take downs you see are either Judo, wrestling or Ju-Jistu. You don't see Aikido throws being effective do you? The point of learning all those moves is to get RED BELT and become master to teach other people. Most professionals will only use a couple throws/moves in their fights, they will practice and make those moves PERFECT. Of course the majority is bad, MMA is a hard and unpredictable sport. You have to just get used to it since there always have to be young talents that'll put on a ****ty show. That's why you should watch the main cards and event.

spesmilitis

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
If the fighters are so crappy, why don't you step into the ring/cage?

You're not fooling anyone. You don't do MMA. You don't do BJJ. You're probably someone who spend years/money at some mcdojo and the cognitive dissonance is finally setting in that you don't know jack about fighting.

sactown1

Don Juan
Reaction score
blackbelt2k said:
yea right, i have fought mma, and currently enjoying it. I never said it was bad to learn more than one style. I went to college thinking i was a badass cuz i won many national and international tournaments in tkd..then i met some bjj guys, and yea, when they got me on the ground i was like a fish out of water...So i adapted and learned bjj, now 3 years later, the majority of bjj guys can still tap me on the ground, but thats IF they get me on the ground.. standing however, i light these guys up..and the muy tai isn't any different from a traditional martial arts...what you think they are the only people that kick low and knee...maybe you should start doing some research
Muay thai is much different from tkd and other tma's because Muay thai practitioners put their skills to test in a live setting(sparring) and not point sparring or any other impractical form. Now if you do TKD and routinely do full-contact sparring, then I wouldn't be bagging on tkd, but for the most part this is not the case.

Phyzzle

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Le Parisien said:
So it's not that martial arts are not effective, they are too effective in our modern society. If you don't want to be locked up for life or get te chair, you better not know/use "traditional" martial arts the way it was meant to be.
"Of course my Sifu would never be in the UFC! Preying Mantis Dim-Mak Gung Fu is too deadly for the ring!" :whistle:

Check out: http://www.bullshido.com