Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

When should I begin cutting?

mellow_yellow

Don Juan
Reaction score
I'm 5' 10". I began training 7 months ago, following the Stronglifts 3x5 beginner program and now the Madcow 5x5 intermediate program. My weight has been stable, staying between 188 and 193 lb. So that must mean I'm eating at or slightly above maintenance, which is good since I've continued to bulk slowly without any issues. I should be somewhere between 20-25% body fat. I'm definitely stronger, but eventually want to lose body fat and get ripped. I wonder how much I should be able to lift before I begin dieting. What lift targets should I hit or when should I begin cutting?

This is the max I can lift as of today. I'm continuing to progress by adding 5 lbs per week for the main lifts.
  • squat — 255 lb x 1 set x 5 reps
  • deadlift — 290 lb x 1 x 5
  • overhead press — 118 lb x 3 x 2/3/2. This means 2 reps, 3 reps, and 2 reps for total of 3 sets.
  • pendlay row — 150 lb x 1 x 5
  • bench press — 180 lb x 3 x 3
  • chin-ups — BW x 4 x 5/3/3/(10). This means 5 reps, 3 reps, 3 reps, and 10 negatives for total of 4 sets.

EyeBRollin

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Cut in the summer when you become an advanced lifter (plateauing regularly... having over training issues, etc.). Outdoor workouts are more fun. Take up a cardio you like and really go at it. It's a nice change from the gym and you'll enjoy the weather more.

mellow_yellow

Don Juan
Reaction score
@EyeBRollin thanks for elaborating. I know you said before to keep going until I plateau. I'll be sure to do that since my weight has been stable for months since I began training.

Once I go from weekly to monthly gains and transition to an advanced program like Wendler 5/3/1, I'll reassess and consider cutting. You're right that I'll most likely be an advanced lifter around next summer time. I'll probably hit advanced strengths standards between 1-year training anniversary next April and the start of summer in June. In the meantime, I'll work on following your diet principles the best I can. :up:

DEEZEDBRAH

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I don't get bulking? Are you w body builder? As in, paid to do that? Its very hard on the body. I know many guys crushing donuts and declaring it bulking season. They are fat. Hopefully, yiu aren't going to be the case.

Begin cleaning up the diet. If i don't buy it, i won't eat it.

Try new things. See how you respond. I enjoy 5x5 or hypertrophy 3 x 8-12 with warm up sets.

Its all cals in or cals out. Dunno what diet i wilk be doing in 2019. Thinking keto or intermittent fasting.

[S]alvatore

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
20-25% is way too high man. **** calorie partitioning when you start to become that fat, you think you're getting "bigger" but just fatter. Bulk to 16% max, so you don't have to spend 6 months dieting.

DEEZEDBRAH

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
20-25% is way too high man. **** calorie partitioning when you start to become that fat, you think you're getting "bigger" but just fatter. Bulk to 16% max, so you don't have to spend 6 months dieting.
+1 i concur.

I think there's too many skinnycunts preaching aesthetics but being fat as ****kkk isn't bulking. Its being a slob.

16%, will notice it running. A clean bulk is GOAT status. Virtually no risk fir injury if you know how to lift. Power and strength is on point. I always tell young kids trying to bulk, do it right. Big macs, donuts, and crispy creams is slob status.

I try not to go beyond 15%. At thirty, i am no competitive body builder. I don't care for roids or PEDs. There's so much junk science these days. 99% of bb dot com is on tren.

Seek referenced sources. Check guys like Paul Chek.