"She Made Her Decision Before You Finished Your Sentence"

Three seconds. That's how long it took. Your shoes. Your posture. The way you held your drink. Whether you looked at the floor or looked at her.

She already filed you away. Interesting. Boring. Safe. Bold. Before you even opened your mouth.

Everything you say after that is just her confirming what she already decided.

So stop rehearsing lines. Fix the first three seconds. Stand tall. Look up. Smile like you mean it. Walk like you belong wherever you're standing.

The words come later. The impression comes first.

Read more...

when I talk to someone, I try to affect what they think of me

espanish

Senior Don Juan
Joined
Aug 12, 2019
Messages
407
Reaction score
303
Age
43
when I am talking to a girl, or even a guy, I am always trying to affect what they think of me. what is the root cause of this? how can I stop needing to do this?
 

“The 22 Rules That Turned Me From Invisible to Irresistible With Women… Starting Tonight”

You can skip the expensive cars, the fancy clothes, and the endless gym selfies. Completely unnecessary.

I used to freeze the second a beautiful woman looked my way. Frustrated. Awkward. Watching other guys walk away with the girl while I stood there tongue-tied.

Then I discovered 22 simple rules that rewired my entire dating life. The anxiety vanished. Conversations flowed effortlessly. Women started chasing me for a change.

These rules trigger a woman's subconscious attraction switches. And you can start using them tonight.

Read more...

Mike32ct

Master Don Juan
Joined
Oct 22, 2007
Messages
8,390
Reaction score
5,132
Location
Eastern Time Zone where it's always really late
It’s because you want them to like you. The downside of this is you can end up so focused on yourself and how you are coming across that you aren’t really listening to what they are saying. Then it’s harder to connect with people.

It’s actually better to focus on what the other person is saying and WHY they saying it.

Instead of worrying about how you are coming across, actually listen to what they are saying and try to understand their motivation for doing so. Then you can respond accordingly.

For example:

1. Are they joking/bantering/using sarcasm? You can respond in kind.

2. Are they pissed off about something? Acknowledge what is bothering them and let them vent a bit.

3. Are they excited about something? Keep the conversation on this fun topic for them.

And so on…

But, yeah, I’ve been guilty of what the OP mentioned in the past. But I’m now working on improving my active listening skills.
 

EyeOnThePrize

Master Don Juan
Joined
Jun 9, 2019
Messages
1,168
Reaction score
1,932
Age
35
when I am talking to a girl, or even a guy, I am always trying to affect what they think of me. what is the root cause of this? how can I stop needing to do this?
@Mike32ct is on the right track. Networking and building connections is done by finding a genuine interest in other people.

The root cause of your behavior is that you're validated by what others think of you, rather than validated by yourself. Work on your inner game, master some skills, work on your body, sharpen your mind, so that you can stand on it rather than seeking approval from others.

When you work on yourself you'll naturally develop some self confidence, then you can be more comfortable around others and share your true self with them.
 

characternote

Master Don Juan
Joined
Aug 31, 2018
Messages
1,256
Reaction score
1,463
when I am talking to a girl, or even a guy, I am always trying to affect what they think of me. what is the root cause of this? how can I stop needing to do this?
isn't that kind of the motive behind just about every technique under the umbrella of outer game?
 

“The 22 Rules That Turned Me From Invisible to Irresistible With Women… Starting Tonight”

You can skip the expensive cars, the fancy clothes, and the endless gym selfies. Completely unnecessary.

I used to freeze the second a beautiful woman looked my way. Frustrated. Awkward. Watching other guys walk away with the girl while I stood there tongue-tied.

Then I discovered 22 simple rules that rewired my entire dating life. The anxiety vanished. Conversations flowed effortlessly. Women started chasing me for a change.

These rules trigger a woman's subconscious attraction switches. And you can start using them tonight.

Read more...

Canadian_Man

Don Juan
Joined
Oct 1, 2022
Messages
131
Reaction score
106
It’s because you want them to like you. The downside of this is you can end up so focused on yourself and how you are coming across that you aren’t really listening to what they are saying. Then it’s harder to connect with people.

It’s actually better to focus on what the other person is saying and WHY they saying it.

Instead of worrying about how you are coming across, actually listen to what they are saying and try to understand their motivation for doing so. Then you can respond accordingly.

For example:

1. Are they joking/bantering/using sarcasm? You can respond in kind.

2. Are they pissed off about something? Acknowledge what is bothering them and let them vent a bit.

3. Are they excited about something? Keep the conversation on this fun topic for them.

And so on…

But, yeah, I’ve been guilty of what the OP mentioned in the past. But I’m now working on improving my active listening skills.
To add to this, one could become more interested in why the person thinks the way they do, without the motive of trying to change their thinking or behaviour.

Become curious about people.

About how their mindsets and beliefs overlap and differ from your own, from other people you've met, and so forth.

(This applies to dating in the sense that once you better understand the person, which can help you better connect & appreciate them ... or, in the opposite end of it, filter out people who aren't good for you).
 

Scars

Master Don Juan
Joined
Jun 20, 2007
Messages
2,127
Reaction score
1,003
Age
36
Location
Phoenix
Insecurity and an internal need to seek validation from others. You will continue to do this until you learn to "let go" and truly not give a fvck.
 

MtmVaott

Senior Don Juan
Joined
Jul 2, 2022
Messages
315
Reaction score
112
isn't that kind of the motive behind just about every technique under the umbrella of outer game?
Yes, and that's why they are BS. Being completely validated in oneself leads to behaviour similar to the techniques, but in a genuine way.
 

BackInTheGame78

Moderator
Joined
Sep 10, 2014
Messages
16,852
Reaction score
19,076
The root cause is you needing their approval. It's a supplicating, nice guy behavior and one that leads to bad outcomes with women over time.
 
Top