Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

What stocks do you guys own?

eli77

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Market is way overvalued. No point in risking losing half your money to increase a single digit stock appreciation.

If you have money you don't need, invest in treasuries. It pays almost 5% with the least risk.
Don't agree but then again i'm 40 and single and have some disposable income

jaygreenb

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Guy I watch on YouTube says the market hit a top today. Gonna go down from here. We will see
For the most part, anyone making short term market predictions should be avoided. Most finance "influencers" are garbage and do not make money from the craft they claim to experts in, they monetize their audience. People who really understand markets know predicting is a fools errand and really it is about operating off of probabilities and managing risk.

corsica

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
This is why you should never take any advise from people on an internet forum on how to invest, (me included of course).

This is a long term investment strategy and a very bad idea; and with treasuries you do exactly that which is that you invest for the long term.

Ever considered that US (and many other western nation's too, but especially US), treasuries are high risk due to that USA is about to tank with the largest government debt in the history of mankind that never can be repaid?
I'm not saying to invest in treasuries forever. My point is that stocks involve risk and if he buys during the wrong time he might lose a lot of money.

If OP is not sure what to do with his extra money, he should go for the safest bet possible.

Stocks can go down, real estate can go down, gold, silver, Bitcoin... same.
The dollar is a reserve currency of the world. If sh!t hits the fan, people will run to the dollar due to its liquidity.

The FED can always print more money. The money can devaluate but you'll get principal + interest.

But if you don't like treasuries, my other suggestion would be to just leave your money in the bank, in an insured money market account. These days you'll get 2%. It's less than inflation but you'll be building liquidity. When a crisis occurs (many will occur in your lifetime), you'll have the chance to "go shopping".

If you're not sure it's a good deal, it ain't.

SargeMaximus

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
For the most part, anyone making short term market predictions should be avoided. Most finance "influencers" are garbage and do not make money from the craft they claim to experts in, they monetize their audience. People who really understand markets know predicting is a fools errand and really it is about operating off of probabilities and managing risk.
I agree but we will see if this guy is right. I don’t expect anyone to be right on the exact day but if he’s right about a correction very soon then that is a useful youtuber to follow. He’s not an influencer. You can easily spot influencers.

AureliusMaximus

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I'm not saying to invest in treasuries forever. My point is that stocks involve risk and if he buys during the wrong time he might lose a lot of money.

If OP is not sure what to do with his extra money, he should go for the safest bet possible.

Stocks can go down, real estate can go down, gold, silver, Bitcoin... same.
The dollar is a reserve currency of the world. If sh!t hits the fan, people will run to the dollar due to its liquidity.

The FED can always print more money. The money can devaluate but you'll get principal + interest.

But if you don't like treasuries, my other suggestion would be to just leave your money in the bank, in an insured money market account. These days you'll get 2%. It's less than inflation but you'll be building liquidity. When a crisis occurs (many will occur in your lifetime), you'll have the chance to "go shopping".

If you're not sure it's a good deal, it ain't.
You keep believing in what you do, its your prerogative to lose all your money.

As former banker and professional trader for many years I know you are way out of your league (like the most average Joe's). Nothing wrong with that.. and I mean no harm with saying that either.

This is however why I said that you should not invest your money unless you really know what you are doing. 95% of all smaller investors do not know or understand what they are doing and will also lose all their money or most of it.

It takes many hard working years of professional education and training to fathom this game and loads of data to forecast it. Most of you don't have time for it, (You do have a day job right?), nor do you have a professional team to assist you and back you up...

So you are basically betting on the horse that you think will win, but you do not understand the mechanics behind and it is obviously not just enough to read a few articles on the internet and then think "you know it" and from that assess how an asset will develop over time.

Instead; invest in yourself, your business, educate yourself in the topic by buying educational courses and books; that would be a better idea where you can control the outcome to a greater degree, than to losing your money on something you really do not comprehend.

I never said that "I didn't like treasures", by the way. That is your assumption. I like whatever the asset is in the moment that that earns me money right now. I have no "favs". Its based on analysis and data, macro economics, and many other factors that determinates what like "right now".

With that said, please do not DM me for investing advises/ideas. I won't answer it. Thanks.

Last edited:

eli77

Master Don Juan
Reaction score

As former banker and professional trader for many years I know you are way out of your league (like the most average Joe's). Nothing wrong with that.. and I mean no harm with saying that either.

This is however why I said that you should not invest your money unless you really know what you are doing. 95% of all smaller investors do not know or understand what they are doing and will also lose all their money or most of it.

It takes many hard working years of professional education and training to fathom this game and loads of data to forecast it. Most of you don't have time for it, (You do have a day job right?), nor do you have a professional team to assist you and back you up...

So you are basically betting on the horse that you think will win, but you do not understand the mechanics behind and it is obviously not just enough to read a few articles on the internet and then think "you know it" and from that assess how an asset will develop over time.

Instead; invest in yourself, your business, educate yourself in the topic by buying educational courses and books; that would be a better idea where you can control the outcome to a greater degree, than to losing your money on something you really do not comprehend.

I never said that "I didn't like treasures", by the way. That is your assumption. I like whatever the asset is in the moment that that earns me money right now. I have no "favs". Its based on analysis and data, macro economics, and many other factors that determinates what like "right now".

With that said, please do not DM me for investing advises/ideas. I won't answer it. Thanks.
What are your thoughts on book like rule number one by phil town I find it very informative along with anything that paul tudor and warren buffet right

jaygreenb

Master Don Juan
Reaction score

This is actually very solid advice. Being an "investor" is the hot thing to do but the problem with that is you need a considerable amount of assets, experience and capital to do it in a risk appropriate way. The best return you will ever make is betting on yourself and my anecdotal observation is that is usually done through starting a business. In my opinion you have to graduate into the investor class and that is done after decades of running a business, building up assets and experiencing all different market conditions. Being a constant student of life and endless 3 steps forward, 2 steps back. Learning lessons and applying them each step of the way. When you have minimal capital you take on too much risk trying to chase a meaningful return. Those habits will eventually wipe you out even if you do get lucky a few times. 8% on 10k doesn't mean much but on 5M it does.

AureliusMaximus

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
This is actually very solid advice. Being an "investor" is the hot thing to do but the problem with that is you need a considerable amount of assets, experience and capital to do it in a risk appropriate way. The best return you will ever make is betting on yourself and my anecdotal observation is that is usually done through starting a business. In my opinion you have to graduate into the investor class and that is done after decades of running a business, building up assets and experiencing all different market conditions. Being a constant student of life and endless 3 steps forward, 2 steps back. Learning lessons and applying them each step of the way. When you have minimal capital you take on too much risk trying to chase a meaningful return. Those habits will eventually wipe you out even if you do get lucky a few times. 8% on 10k doesn't mean much but on 5M it does.
My old boss on the trading floor used to say that it takes at least 10 000 trades to become a good trader and then 20 000 trades to become an excellent trader. Go figure... Average people do not have that time or the required trading volumes to get to that point which only a professional environment brings/can offer. And that doesn't even count in the thousands of hours of demo trading my boss put me through as a newbie trader before he granted me access to trade live for the firm and it's clients.

Last edited:

AureliusMaximus

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
What are your thoughts on book like rule number one by phil town I find it very informative along with anything that paul tudor and warren buffet right
Look for books from the Austrian school and teachers of that school and preferably takes classes in that. It's a good start.

Keynesian economics is a scam (or fraud if you will; in my opinion) in so many ways but that is what is thought in schools and universities. I won't get into the why/what Keynesian isn't very a good teaching. You have figure that our for yourself.

Although you should know and understand it (like knowing your enemy sort of), because that is how the cookie crumbles too (the world applies/adheres mostly to John Maynard Keynes theories). In reality most of it is just a house of cards waiting to fall with some crazy theories that doesn't work in real life, but politicians loves it as it allows them to print money and a very key thing here; to promise voters things they (in reality us/we as a society), cannot afford to give to the people. But hey people love free things right, so they buy into it and drink the cool aid and politicians know that. It's an excellent tool to manipulate people to vote for them.

Again, this is not a trading/investing advise and should not be seen as such. But reading/studying Austrian school is a good path to begin with if you want just to educate yourself and invest in yourself to get a better understanding of the world.

Last edited:

SargeMaximus

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I was able to live off my stock returns for 10 months last year

jaygreenb

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I was able to live off my stock returns for 10 months last year
That's great, nice work. Can you do that over an extended period over a decade, during all types of market conditions without taking on too much risk, drawing down your capital or getting wiped out? You very may well have the skill to do it, the vast majority do not. Optimal investment strategies can change during different periods and the last few years have been very Volatile both ways, we may not have this going forward. I think it would be prudent to make sure at minimum you have cash coming in outside of trading so you do not become a forced seller.

FlirtLife

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
My old boss on the trading floor used to say that it takes at least 10 000 trades to become a good trader and then 20 000 trades to become an excellent trader.
I assume people asking for stock picks are not looking to day trade. I've heard the term "swing trading" used for people who invest for weeks before closing their positions. Most people, aware of it or not, are probably closer to that description.

FlirtLife

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
A note on the video posted earlier: you can click on the channel name, click "About", and see that the person who created that video is self taught. I think it is more difficult to decide if someone is an expert without knowing their career and experience, and relying on how successfully they taught themselves how to trade.

Personally I've read dozens of investment books, and have different advice for passive vs active investors. I'm skeptical of picking only a few stocks and beating the market. That approach involves "single company risk", where a company like Meta falls even more than similar companies. If you invest in the market, and earn 10%/year for 10 years, your money grows by 2.6x. I view investing as a way to get richer, but not a way to get rich quick.

Last edited:

SargeMaximus

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
That's great, nice work. Can you do that over an extended period over a decade, during all types of market conditions without taking on too much risk, drawing down your capital or getting wiped out? You very may well have the skill to do it, the vast majority do not. Optimal investment strategies can change during different periods and the last few years have been very Volatile both ways, we may not have this going forward. I think it would be prudent to make sure at minimum you have cash coming in outside of trading so you do not become a forced seller.
I know what I’m doing, dad

AureliusMaximus

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I assume people asking for stock picks are not looking to day trade. I've heard the term "swing trading" used for people who invest for weeks before closing their positions. Most people, aware of it or not, are probably closer to that description.
its a figure of speech he used e.g. the 10 K hours to get good at anything. So in your case "people picking stocks" they will highly likely not get to that level either because it take a lot of time and work to get to that level. So again you are just guessing but you do not really know what you are doing.

jaygreenb

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
its a figure of speech he used e.g. the 10 K hours to get good at anything. So in your case "people picking stocks" they will highly likely not get to that level either because it take a lot of time and work to get to that level. So again you are just guessing but you do not really know what you are doing.
Yep, the best thing you can do is spend the first 5-10yrs maximizing your cashflow by either business, skill or trade. Then starting to focus on what to actually do with that money in the next 5-10yrs. That seems to be about the amount of time if reasonably intelligent and dedicated to get an information, knowledge or skill edge in whatever you are doing. Give or take some time for a number of variables each way. The most common progression I have seen is business owner first then moving to investing in real estate.

SargeMaximus

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
lol ok good, my apologies if a little preachy. Just see a lot of people setting themselves up for failure, not saying you. I have made many many mistakes along the way at 43
Yeah I started with a very small amount so I could make all the mistakes I wanted. Still learning of course but that’s what I love about investing