Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

What Kind of Resistance Training can I do with a 5K Program?

nicksaiz65

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
So I’ve been doing cardio about 3 times a week. My first priority is to fix my shyt cardio endurance. That way, I can have an easier time cutting cause I can burn more calories if I need to.

StrongLifts 5x5 says not to do any running training along with it though because that will cause overtraining. So I was wondering, what kind of resistance training can I do along with this? Until I can run a 5K, I’d like cardio to be my first focus. Although I know I definitely need to be lifting too, hence my question.

[S]alvatore

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Stronglifts is a half decent program, albeit a ripoff of Bill Starrs 5x5. Mehdi is a better marketer than "coach", and not strong at all for the years he has put into lifting. It is a strength and mass program first, so any cardio will eat into recovery, which is why he suggests not to.

You could get away with a 2 or 3 day per week weight training routine and still make progress, but not affecting you too much with your cardio goals.
Either:

Full body twice per week
OR
An upper/lower alternating split 3x per week

Volume should be lowish, mainly compound movements, just a couple of sets for biceps/calves/abs.

Full body (Twice per week)
Squat/Leg Press 2-3x8-10
Barbell/DB/Machine Bench Press 2-3x6-8
Barbell/Cable Row 2-3x6-8
Barbell/Dumbell/Machine Shoulder Press 2x6-8
Pull ups/Pull down machine 2x6-8
Biceps + Triceps 1-2x8-10
Abs & Calves 1-2x8-10

Upper/Lower (3 days per week alternating)

Eg.
Week 1
Monday Upper
Wednesday Lower
Friday Upper

Week 2
Monday Lower
Wednesday Upper
Friday Lower

Exercises the same as above, just split them into the correct days.

The frequency is high enough to progress with weight training, but the volume is low enough not to hinder recovery for your cardio training.

R

Ranger

So I’ve been doing cardio about 3 times a week. My first priority is to fix my shyt cardio endurance. That way, I can have an easier time cutting cause I can burn more calories if I need to.

StrongLifts 5x5 says not to do any running training along with it though because that will cause overtraining. So I was wondering, what kind of resistance training can I do along with this? Until I can run a 5K, I’d like cardio to be my first focus. Although I know I definitely need to be lifting too, hence my question.
If you are an endurance runner there is a real danger of overtraining. This would be a mistake. A very big one.
Deadlifts. Heavy. I would read “primal endurance” to underStNd burnout and body degradation over time if you overtrain and how less endurance training and the lifting technology in the book to actually decrease your times significantly.

switch7

Master Don Juan
Reaction score

5k 3 times a week is no biggy on top of stronglifts imo. I do 5k's quite often and its literally 25 to 30 mins of fairly chilled out running.. But maybe my body type is suited to running..

EyeBRollin

Master Don Juan
Reaction score

This is backwards. Focus on weight training first. Stronglifts is a great beginning to intermediate program. I’d focus exclusively on strength training for at least a year until you become an advanced lifter. Then you can worry about cutting. All the new muscle will help burn fat and you won’t get the skinny fat look when you lose weight.