What is love?

oldmanofthesea

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I think one red-pill topic that doesn't get enough discussion is: What is the definition of love?

I believe the majority of men's pain and suffering surrounding relationships is caused by misunderstanding of love.

We are programmed through movies, tv, and books, from a young age to believe that love is a feeling. But since no one can describe it exactly, we each take our own swirl of confusing emotions growing up and then associate some of them with love, to form our own personal, yet usually incorrect belief of what love is and what love feels like. I would be willing to bet most men (and probably women too) end up forming their beliefs about love in this way.

Instead of talking about what love is, let's talk about what love is not....

What I see commonly mistaken for love:
1. A cure for neediness. The neediness can be for one or more specific needs such as validation of self-worth (in all forms from physical appearance to personality to general desirability), to a need for constant close companionship and an inability to be alone and enjoy your own company, or the company of friends in normal doses (instead of 24x7). If your social life sucks, a romantic partner will not fix that for you - it is too much weight to bear for them.
2. Misdirected source of identity. Instead of forming your own individual identity and sense of personal value, you based a large part of your identity on your partnership/marriage (most often without even realizing you are doing it)
3. Infatuation/Admiration. You admire someone so much for something they have or can do (it could be their body/looks, or a skill they possess such as an artist or athlete or successes in other areas in life), that you pedestalize them. While it is healthy to admire someone you love, there is a difference between healthy admiration and putting them on a pedestal and ranking their value above your own.
4. Fear. This really falls under the neediness umbrella, but fear of being alone, or fear of not finding another, or not finding another better than what you have now.

When you mistake love for the feelings you experience from the issues mentioned above, you set yourself up for an unhealthy relationship, increase the odds that you will be dumped, and guarantee that you will be absolutely devastated when it happens. And it's a shame too because while you think you are mourning the loss of love, you are actually experiencing emotions resulting from the core of your own problems that you are capable of solving.

Here is my warning..... if you find yourself experiencing one or more of following things when you meet a girl and have been dating her a short time:
1. You want to stop doing things you were doing when single in order to spend the majority of your time with her (IE not hanging out with friends or participating in your hobbies and other interests)
2. You think about her all day
3. Your level of general happiness and satisfaction in life has skyrocketed since you started dating her
4. You have strong urges to brag to your friends/family about her and show her off
5. You are worried she might be too high-value/hot/etc for you and are trying to figure out how you can be sure to lock her down, and/or you are anxious about losing her
6. You start comparing yourself to her in a way that puts her above you

...... then you are likely not in love, you should see this as a red flag for yourself that you need to address, and you need to step back a bit from your relationship. The more of the above you experience, the more critical it is for you to solve your core issues before you will be able to be in a healthy relationship.

TonyTenner

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Good post, good advice.

I think love only exists between a parent and a child, nowhere else. Look at the animal kingdom - the male leaves after the brief mating process while the female nurtures and protects the progeny in a way that is the closest thing to what we call love.

Humans are the same with loads of social conventions like marriage and idealised love trying to buffer that hard-wiring.

CAPSLOCK BANDIT

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Whatever love is, it is a lot more closely associated to the idea of convenience than anything else, that is just my experiences.

sangheilios

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I don't believe in true/unconditional love, soul mates or anything like that, at least when it comes male-female relationships.

From my observations, I feel that "love" between a man and woman, or two people of the same gender, is based on more selfish motives. When you start dating someone it is natural to experience a lot of joy and excitement, these are all due to hormonal responses that occur in the "honey moon" phase of the relationship. We all know that over time these feelings eventually wear off and little quirks become irritating, red flags that weren't apparent at first become obvious, etc.

I also feel that people only "love" those that reciprocate those feelings back unto them. You are receiving love from them, which validates you and makes you feel good, and they are receiving love from you, thus experiencing those same feelings. It is normal and natural to experience the desire to feel wanted and appreciated, whether that be romantically or in a platonic manner.

If someone you are in a relationship with starts to become detached and uninterested it is normal to experience feelings of rejection, insecurity, etc. People in this situation should just leave but often times they stick with the relationship out of insecurity and this is when cheating happens, whether that be sexually or even just emotionally. A man in this situation would seek validation through physical means by having sex with another woman. A woman in this situation would seek validation through emotional means by flirting with other men, talking to other men and perhaps having sex with them in order to attain it.

I don't really think it's that complicated. True love is mother-child love, the way your dog loves you, etc. You could say these things would be considered unconditional. Once a woman has a child her focus shifts over to her child and away from the man, which is natural. Can you imagine a woman that focused the majority of her attention to a man instead of her children? This does in fact happen and it is generally a VERY bad thing.

oldmanofthesea

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
When you start dating someone it is natural to experience a lot of joy and excitement, these are all due to hormonal responses that occur in the "honey moon" phase of the relationship.
I don't feel that any more. Part of it is a deliberate choice by me not to allow those brain chemicals to take over my emotions and thoughts - I know now how to suppress them because I know why they are happening, and I know it's bullsh*t and unhealthy. Secondly, now that I am already already very happy, fulfilled, person with a great social life, a woman brings very little to the table for me so I just don't get that rush of chemicals any more. If you DON'T have a very happy, fulfilled life with a good social life, a woman brings a LOT more to the table for you but that's setting yourself up for failure because you are putting too much pressure on her for your happiness.

You are receiving love from them, which validates you and makes you feel good
One of my points was to say you should not need that validation. If you have success with women, and you have a great social life, your validation tank is full. A woman can bring nothing more to it, and that's exactly the way it should be. If I can go out and meet 23yos, enough to always have at least 1 or more that I'm talking to and sleeping with, what's another girl going to do for me? Nothing. I'm already validated.

If someone you are in a relationship with starts to become detached and uninterested it is normal to experience feelings of rejection, insecurity, etc.
That's how I used to feel too. But I no longer feel that way and neither should you or any other man. Rather than feel rejected or insecure, you should feel the same detachment she does..... you should feel, "Wow, this girl is pretty dumb to pass me up - maybe she wasn't as smart as I thought.... no worries, this will finally free up more of my time to pay more attention to that other hot girl I just didn't have time to go out with and pay much attention to. I dodged a bullet with this chick." This is literally how I feel now when a girl I'm dating seems to be pulling back. I don't really even have to think about pulling back myself, I just get disinterested and feel a bit put-off by her and it makes me want to use my freed-up time to go focus on other things I love, like my friends, hobbies, and other women. Women FEEL this, and if their pull-back was a test, you just called their bluff.