Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Weights and bulking are overrated.

chim_chim

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Lifting weights = more muscle mass
more muscle mass = burn more calories
burn more calories = eat more without getting fat
Eating 1000 calories a day for maintenance because you have no muscle = sad
Eating a few thousand calories a day = happy

WORKEROUTER

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by RIchardo
Now, this is my own personal opinion , as i see many people prefer the bulking, gaining mass type of workout, but i think other alternatives are actually better.

If you have seen bradd pitt in fight club, i would say that is the ideal male body, cut and lean, like that of a warrior of old (spartan, roman etc)

If you bulk to much, your cardio wont usually be as good and its very hard to maintain all that bulk past your 20s without it turning to fat...

However, not to mention alot of injuries and stress problems on the skeletal structure result from lifting.

I personally would say all you need to do to look lean toned and sexy to the ladies , is lots of pushups, pullups, running, and crunches or abroller ( id say the abroller is the best piece of equipment ever made)

If you do a decent amount of all of the above every week, you will have decent sized arms, pecs, be very defined and have a pretty sweet looking 6 pack.

Heres just a trial routine to get you on your way.

Mon, wed, fri - set of as many pushups as possible
rest 30 sec.
next set of as many pushups as possible
rest 30 seconds
next set of as many pushups as possible
rest a minute and repeat the above

I only say as many as possible because i do not know your current capabilities, i like to set it up in a pyramid fashion.

here is my pushups routine

set of 60
rest for 30 sec
set of 50
rest 30 sec
set of 40
rest a min
set of 30
rest 30 sec
set of 20
rest 30 sec
set of 10

For pullups , 3 sets of 10 is usually a good number with about 30 seconds in between sets

For the abs, id recommend 100 crunches (leg lifts are very good too) or 30 abrolls....... The key to gettin abs is the decline in the movement, thus doing crunches or situps with weights and or medicine balls really helps tone them

As for running, id say 2-3 miles a day 3-5 days a week is adequate for such, if you cant do that right away , then work up to it gradually..

Now on yoru way to looking like a model.
This is stupid. First off, i hate it when dumbasses keep warning people not to get "too big." How fukkin big can most people get, anyway--if your worried about waking up and looking like Ronnie Coleman, I doubt you have to worry...

Secondly, your routine sux some major d*ck... sux so bad it fukkin swallows. Before I forget, Pitt is a poseur. Dont bring up that fag.
Back to the routine..it sux. Do as many pushups as you can do?? Is this 2nd grade?? How bout you be a real man and do a REAL chest routine, one that will actually get you something. Pushups are GREAT...great for a warmup prior to benching.

Basically, your routine sux because gains are gonna be minimal, if any at all.

"Now on yoru way to looking like a model."
No, now your on your way to lookin like a lil P*SSY!

meow

DJLiquid

Don Juan
Reaction score
Re: Re: Weights and bulking are overrated.

Originally posted by WORKEROUTER
This is stupid. First off, i hate it when dumbasses keep warning people not to get "too big." How fukkin big can most people get, anyway--if your worried about waking up and looking like Ronnie Coleman, I doubt you have to worry...

Secondly, your routine sux some major d*ck... sux so bad it fukkin swallows. Before I forget, Pitt is a poseur. Dont bring up that fag.
Back to the routine..it sux. Do as many pushups as you can do?? Is this 2nd grade?? How bout you be a real man and do a REAL chest routine, one that will actually get you something. Pushups are GREAT...great for a warmup prior to benching.

Basically, your routine sux because gains are gonna be minimal, if any at all.

"Now on yoru way to looking like a model."
No, now your on your way to lookin like a lil P*SSY!

meow
Big BUMP....I fuking hate it when people ask me questions about work out routines but say...yeah man, but I wanna get cut...don't want to be huge though....like if working out for a couple of months is gonna put 40+ pounds of lean mass on them....even worse are the scrawny chumps who say...yeah, girls don't like big muscles...if these guys would actually hit the gym hard...they would notice...that more girls are attracted to you...guys won't hit on your girl....guys won't pick a fight with you...and the chances of being mugged are zero....

-DJLiquid

Templeton

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by Metaphor
Hey Diesel I'm curious as to what you mean by negative muscle definition. I'm assuming you just mean that these skinny guys have next to no muscle..but I'm wondering if it's a specific term.
And Richardo..if you want to be cut over being big that's fine. But at least pick a role model that doesn't look like a 16 year old girl with sub 14 inch arms. John Basedow would be a good example..http://www.muscleweb.com/john/
Never heard of this guy before. Great lower pecs and erm...not much else.

Bonhomme

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Weight training is excellent

Diesel's right on about weight training being good for maintianing youthful hormone levels if it's done right. That goes for having a sufficient amount of good fats in your diet, too. Low fat is bull****: eating the right fats in sufficient amounts is key.

Injuries should not be a problem if you:

1) warm up

2) use good form, and

3) do not train any muscles that have not properly recovered from the last workout you did.

There is a legitimate concern with GH supplementation, though, Diesel: it can accelerate cartilage growth to an unnatural degree, so that you can get an old person's nose and chin prematurely.

DIESEL

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Re: Weight training is excellent

Originally posted by Bonhomme
Diesel's right on about weight training being good for maintianing youthful hormone levels if it's done right. That goes for having a sufficient amount of good fats in your diet, too. Low fat is bull****: eating the right fats in sufficient amounts is key.

Injuries should not be a problem if you:

1) warm up

2) use good form, and

3) do not train any muscles that have not properly recovered from the last workout you did.

There is a legitimate concern with GH supplementation, though, Diesel: it can accelerate cartilage growth to an unnatural degree, so that you can get an old person's nose and chin prematurely.
I was referring to jumping on GH when you're like 45 or so... you would definitely notice the effects !!

wise_mage

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
I agree with ricardo. I want to look like brad pitt in fight club. I want "negative muscle mass" or whatever the fuk u call it and I want to look as slim and defined as those calvin klein models.
I cant think of a better way to look. this is my objective.
I have a similar program than ricardo, barely do any weights most of my strenght excersises are with my own weight. and the results are there. I am getting fitter and cardio and ab work dominate my routine. I have gone from 160 punds to 135 in 5 months and have 5 more pounds to go.
I want to look like a ballet dancer. sadly I still look wide and not thin enough because I have strong big bone structure. but Ill get there. my arms are 13 inches flexed and they are more than enough. any more would be ridiculous.

by the way, diesiel and some others, u are really disrispectful towards the poster. u dont tolerate anything else than what you believe. go ahead and look huge if thats your thing but for some of us looking "scrawny" is what we want.

DIESEL

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by wise_mage

by the way, diesiel and some others, u are really disrispectful towards the poster. u dont tolerate anything else than what you believe. go ahead and look huge if thats your thing but for some of us looking "scrawny" is what we want.
No, I was disrespectful to the poster because what he posted was plain wrong.. and as long as there are KNOWLEDGEABLE posters on this forum, we should take that responsibility to slam people that post erroneous bullshyt that will further confuse any newbies to the board.

Also, I take offense at his assumption that the ONLY reason we would lift is to look good. I LOVE TO MOVE BIG WEIGHT. I ENJOY THE EFFORT AND THE FEELING OF CONNECTEDNESS WITH THE BODY WHEN I LIFT... so yes, I enjoy it.. the muscles are like icing on the cake, and if chicks dig it or don't dig it... whatever.

I'm not putting a gun to his (or your) head and telling him to workout like most of the guys on this forum here. But if the guy is going to post a thread saying how what we do is bullshyt, we sure as hell have the right to tell him to fukk off, especially when what he is offering as an alternative is short-term garbage.

And yes, even for what you want, you should still be lifting weights. These body-weight only routines are garbage...really.

D

Cremasta

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Richardo,

I don't agree with a lot of what you are saying, there are a lot of deficiencies in your workout. Okay I'll start from the top...

Bulking and/or gaining mass are not as easy as it sounds and usually the gains in strength come long before any mass is increased. There is absolutely no disadvantage to getting stronger. What this type of workout does however is usually every muscle or muscle group is worked on, decreasing the likelihood of mismatched muscle groups - decreasing the potential for injury.

The main reason why it is hard to maintain bulk after your 20's is because people don't often have the time anymore :work, wives, kids, family commitments, etc. stop most people from working out 6 times a week like we all did back in our late teens/early 20's. It also takes longer to recuperate from injuries, which is what the growth of muscle tissue relies on (at a microfibre level). Muscle doesn't turn to fat, the proportions in your body just change especially when you stop training and don't adjust your diet accordingly.

A training regimen consisting of pushups, pullups, running and ab crunches? Lets see, you are neglecting: Most of your upper back, 2/3rds of your shoulders, lower back, most of your abdominal muscles, hamstrings, forearms and I guarantee that your pecs will lag if you rely on pushups, for many people, these primarily work the front delts. You are ignoring whole muscle groups and THIS is what will cause you injuries.

So far the only part I agree with is that running should be a part of everyone's training in some way. But this will not get you looking good or build real muscle in the legs, with the possible exception of your calves (ever watch the Olympic marathon runners, they are probably all 55kg max!), it will however increase your overall fitness which is good.

If you changed the 100 crunches to : 25 straight crunches, 25 crunches each side and 25 leg raises, that would be a more complete ab workout. Just 100 crunches would help you get the 6-pack but would leave you with poor muscle tone everywhere else around the middle.

Basically all your workout is going to do is make you good at pushups, pullups, crunches and running. This will not make you look like a model. In fact I think that if you were to go through with this routine, you will actually end up looking quite strange.

Go back to the drawing board on this one, this workout is not well thought out.

RIchardo

Don Juan
Reaction score
I made a generalized plan for people who dont want to look like powerlifters, as i feel that is not the way to look.

You can harass me if you wish, but i do what i do for boxing, and you can ask my last opponent who was a body builder how useful that physique was for him.

And as far as wanting to move big things deisel, you dont need big muscles to do that, again, i will refer to boxers or kickboxers as an example. they may not be huge, but they are strong enough to destroy 300lb heavy bags with single strikes.

Again, this is just a general routine for people who want to look lean and key word "dont" want to bulk, as many people think lifting weights is automatically going to make one big.

As for the HIIT routine, please, train to be a fighter and then tell me what exhausting is.

Metaphor

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Re: Re: Weight training is excellent

there. my arms are 13 inches flexed and they are more than enough. any more would be ridiculous.

Mage..in all seriousness..my sister who is 5'4 105 pounds and 15 years old has a 13 inch arm flexed. I know because I was measuring my arm the other day and she wanted to see what she had. Even the exceptionally skinny model types have 14+ I'd bet.

And as far as wanting to move big things deisel, you dont need big muscles to do that, again, i will refer to boxers or kickboxers as an example. they may not be huge, but they are strong enough to destroy 300lb heavy bags with single strikes.

You're confusing the only relevant point here. The BIGGER you are the MORE weight you have the potential to move. Bottom line.

As for the HIIT routine, please, train to be a fighter and then tell me what exhausting is.
I'm interested in knowing what your definition of a fighter is exactly..

by the way, diesiel and some others, u are really disrispectful towards the poster. u dont tolerate anything else than what you believe.
It's one thing to want to have a certain body type..and no one has said that's wrong. We say it's wrong when he spreads myths and information that isn't true that could negatively affect other people.

DJjazzyJeff

Don Juan
Reaction score
You can harass me if you wish, but i do what i do for boxing, and you can ask my last opponent who was a body builder how useful that physique was for him.
I boxed as an amateur and I really can't think of a boxer that doesn't lift weights. So you're honestly telling me that you box and don't lift weights? I bet if I did ask him, he would tell me it was useful to watch them carry you out on a stretcher. Strength wise using your workout, there is no way possible unless you are just naturally gifted that you could compete with a "body builder" using your workout. I don't have anything against your routinge and can see what you are saying, but to say that you can be as strong as somebody that lifts weights doing your workout is plain out ridiculous

RIchardo

Don Juan
Reaction score
i can make strength gains and not put on wieght when i box cuz i do A TON of bagwork and alot of medicine ball, plyo pushups..etc

I do think many of the heavy weight fighters lift, but i know plenty middle , welter and light that dont, over developed muscles impede on speed.

and as for the dude i fought, his muscles made him unable to throw a proper punch and made him fatigue much faster , at which point i Tko'd him at 1:48 round 3, every good fighter i know is Lean, not to say they dont have muscle but they arent looking liek powerlifters or any of that bulky junk.

Baller1625

Reaction score
ahhh geez this is my first post in a long time on this board but LIFTING RULES. Its fun as hell plus you get the benefits of a better body. Personally I love lifting. Its fun. I'll list some websites which will help out with your lifting needs:

http://www.fortifiediron.com
http://forum.bodybuilding.com
http://www.deepsquatter.com/strength/archives/index.htm
http://www.elitefts.com
http://www.irongame.net

The Iron Game site I put in there just because they have awesome videos including the world records for squat. bench, and deadlift.

Jay

B

Body Builders Rule

and as for the dude i fought, his muscles made him unable to throw a proper punch and made him fatigue much faster , at which point i Tko'd him at 1:48 round 3

and as for the dude i fought, his muscles made him unable to throw a proper punch and made him fatigue much faster , at which point i Tko'd him at 1:48 round 3,
So this was an official refered fight then was it? In that case you must have been fighting someone in the same weight division as yourself, where you not?. Correct me if I'm wrong but boxing weight divisions span no more than about 15lb right? So you beat a guy maybe 10lb (or at most 15lb) heavier than you and you think that that therefore proves that being big isn't an advantage in a fight?

You make it sound like your a skiny little dude who fought some massive great big 250lb Ronnie Coleman level body builder and whipped his arse thus proving that there is no advantage in being as big as Ronnie Coleman in a fight.

Yet in reality you didn't fight a real 200lb plus body builder you fought a guy pretty much the same size as your self (sure maybe he had better definition or his muscles looked bigger, maybe cause he was shorter) but at the end of the day he was at most 7kg heavier than you and hence similar in size and strength to yourself.

In other words your fight doesn't prove sh!t regarding the ability of skinny little wimps to beat up great big body builders.

Why do you think they have weight divisions in boxing in the first place? Because if they didn't the Bantamweights would dominate and the heavy weights wouldn't stand a chance right? Ha, Ha.

The bottom line is that all other things being equal (skill, endurance etc) the bigger guy will win because being bigger and able to take more punishment and able to hit harder is an advantage. Claiming otherwise your living in fantasy land.

In fact with a large enough size difference such as a 150lb guy fighting a (muscular body builder level) 250lb guy, skill and endurance don't mean sh!t, baring extreme luck on the part of the 150lb guy the 250lb guy will win every time (even if the 150lb guy can hit the 250lb guy 10 times as often even in the head if he has superior skill and speed) the 250lb guy will still win because he will not feel any of the 150lb guys punches and even if he does have muchley inferior skill he will break bone in what few punches he does land and finish the fight (at least thats how it went in this 250lb body builders last street fight - except the dude was probably some what heavier than 150lb, he was certainly taller than me but a bean pole).

RIchardo

Don Juan
Reaction score
Junior welterweight, i weighed in at the bottom of my class he weighed in at the top, musta had no body fat cuz he was damn big for a junior welter.

Im saying big muscles do not garuntee punching power as his were twice the size of mine , yet they hindered him.

If skill and endurance are the same yes, the bigger guy will usually win, but very seldom is it the case where a guy will be very muscular and have the same endurance as someone like oscar de la hoya.

If you want to see how small people knock out big people it isnt as difficult as you make it out to be , small people can have extrodinary power. Ever hear of Sam Langford? He was a boxer waay back in the day at about middleweight and he knocked out heavies. Same thing with Jack dempsey and Billy conn, they werent the biggest fighters but they had a history of destroying big guys. I hate to bring up the bruce lee argument, but the guy was 130lbs and could hit like a ton of bricks. Size is not neccessary for explosive power.

Cremasta

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
So which is it?

Do you want to train to look hot for the ladies... or do you want to train to be a good boxer?

If you want to look hot, then I stand by what I wrote before. If you want to train to be a boxer, then your workout starts to make more sense.

Its called 'specificity of training', looking hot would require a different exercise regime to a boxer's regime, the same in that a swimmer and a sprinter use different training techniques.

No flame here but if you want some decent feedback, then give us the right start thread.

WORKEROUTER

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
WORKEROUTER isnt going to flame people like WISEMAGE..

original post edited.