Vintovka's Lifting Journal

Vintovka

Don Juan
Reaction score
It's time to make it official.

Just finished my back/biceps day, I'm going with a Tues, Thurs, Sat split. Still eating steak and eggs every day plus 92g worth of whey, cut the white rice from my garlic chicken and brocolli stir-fry. Now I gotta lose the water chestnut, I'm really gonna miss those, heh. Bought some almonds today as well.

Immediatley following the lifting had a low-fat yogurt, 47g of carbs, mostly sugar, followed by a double shot of whey shortly after.

The lifts, in order:

3x6 Hammer curls
3x6 Bicep curls, 5 lbs less than the hammers, my left arm gives out 2 reps before my right
3x8 Deadlifts, need more weight added on this, at least 10 lbs, maybe more

I was failing by the 6th on the curls, so gonna stay with those weights for another week.

Still working on my form, got a full length mirror, handy for all kinds of stuff, don't know how I got by without one before.

I gotta say too, I've always heard people talk about feeling good after a workout but I never felt that way, until I started lifting. I feel fvcking awesome afterwards, it could get addictive :nervous:

Measured my guns when they got pumped too, 16", now admittedly some of that is fat, but I have a measurement from back in July at 14.5" and I've lost body fat since then, wooo.

Advice, critiques, comments?

Gonna go for a walk in 20 then off the bed.

spesmilitis

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Too many curls. Replace em with rows and or one of these: pull downs, chin ups, pull ups. These workout your bicepts pretty well, but you are also getting a back workout as well when you do these.

Vintovka

Don Juan
Reaction score
Roger that, I don't think I could do a chin up just yet, I'm a big guy, so I'll drop the bicep curls for some rows, thanks.

Warboss Alex

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Vintovka said:
Roger that, I don't think I could do a chin up just yet, I'm a big guy, so I'll drop the bicep curls for some rows, thanks.
do pulldowns or assisted pullups .. work on getting stronger on those and then you'll be able to do regular chins. :)

has your gym got an assisted chin machine?

Vintovka

Don Juan
Reaction score
I'm doing these at home with dumbbells, have a tight schedule between work and classes. If I get to the point that adding weight at home becomes impractical, I can head to the campus gym for free.

Vintovka

Don Juan
Reaction score
Thursday, Chest + Tris

Dumbbell Flys
11,8,7 reps
Increased the weight by 5lbs each time, have a good starting point for next week

Inclined Bench Press
3x6
All the same weight, much harder than flyes, have to use lower weight

Skull Crushers
10,8,7 reps
Upped the weight by 5 after the first set

Staying the course with morning empty stomach cardio, it's hard though :p

Warboss Alex

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Vintovka said:
Dumbbell Flys
11,8,7 reps
Increased the weight by 5lbs each time, have a good starting point for next week

Inclined Bench Press
3x6
All the same weight, much harder than flyes, have to use lower weight

Skull Crushers
10,8,7 reps
Upped the weight by 5 after the first set

Staying the course with morning empty stomach cardio, it's hard though :p
very nice - do the bench press before the flies though, and 3 x 6 is fine. :)

Vintovka

Don Juan
Reaction score
Went camping/horse back riding Fri/Sat so pushed leg day to Sun.

Squats
3x6 Maxed out my weights

Calf Raises
3x12 Need much more weight than I currently own

Good Mornings
3x6

Doing the squats first made the rest of my lifts a struggle and I started getting a little sloppy. Should I do squats last? Also, should I be eating/drinking anything during the lifts to keep my energy up?

Tuesday is back and biceps, can't wait :D

Vintovka

Don Juan
Reaction score
Tues 10/24

Hammer Curls
3x6 same weight as last week on right, had to drop left by 5 lbs, guh
tried to up it by 5 on both at first, could only manage 4 right and 0 left

Bent-Over Rows
3x8 same weight that I curled, I like these, I do believe next week I'll be ready to up them 5lbs

Deads
3x8 went up 30 lbs above last weeks, think I could manage a bit beyond that

Took me about an hour with stretches, warm-up junk sets. Would like to trim the duration down closer to 45 mins.

Been dragging ass on the morning cardio with exams and general laziness. Gotta get back on track.

Diet
kcals: 3200
fat: 170g majority sourced from mono/poly unsaturateds
carb: 171g sourced from complex carbs, except for post workout yogurt with 28g sugar
protein: 251g shakes, beef, eggs, cheese

Last edited:

Vintovka

Don Juan
Reaction score
Thurs, Chest/Tri

Did bench this time and was able to add 10 lbs on what I pressed last week but had to drop flyes back 5 lbs for the first two and another 5 on the third, managed a few extra reps on the last set though. Skullcrushers were all over the chart, first set was same as last week, then bumped it up 15 lbs, managed 6 of those and backed down 5 lbs and another 6 reps for the last.

All in all

Bench
3x7 Up 10 from last week

Flyes
6 Last weeks weight
6 -5lbs
8 same weight

Skullcrushers
10 Last weeks weight
6 +15lbs
6 -5lbs

I think I'm trying to add weight too quick and so my weight/reps are bouncing around, from now I'm gonna use the same weight as last week and only up it once I can manage 10-12 reps.

Had half a shake with fat free milk before lifting and the other half during, kept my energy up much better.

Diet
3665 kcals
145g fat ~36%
216g carb ~24%
372g protein ~40%

Feedback?

Last edited:

Vintovka

Don Juan
Reaction score
Legs

Took my squats up by 20lbs, Stiff Leg Deads up by 40 and Calf Rasies up 30. Not a bad work out, I need an olympic bar, dumbbells are becoming impractical.

Stiff Leg Deads
3x9

Squats
3x6

Calf Raise
3x20

Kept it sub 45 mins.

Keeping up with the morning cardio. Cardio confuses me though as far as what would be the best for my situation, currently I'm shooting for a 15 minute duration and an intensity where I'm not breathing so hard I couldn't talk, as per the stickies and WBA's post.

Vintovka

Don Juan
Reaction score
Start of Week 3

Took rows up 2 reps per set and 5 lbs, deads down 2 reps and up 20 lbs. Curls third week no progress in reps or weight, gonna cut the weight back 5 and start a new exercise for bi's.

Hammer Curls
3x6

Bent Over Rows
3x10 +2 reps +5 lbs

Deadlifts
3x6 -2 reps +20 lbs

41 minutes

Think I found my practical limit for deads, gonna use the same weight next week. Must get an oly bar, dumbbells are too awkward.

Diet staying good, had chicken for my meat protein instead of bottom round today, trying to cut some fat out of my diet. Keeping up with morning cardio but not the intensity that I think would be appropriate, gonna try ECA for more energy in the mornings.

As always, open to suggestions.

Vintovka

Don Juan
Reaction score
Chest/Tri

Bench up 5lbs, Flyes same weight more reps, Crushers kept same weight. This seems to be my lightest workout so I threw in some seated dumbbell overhead presses for shoulders. Started light on them.

Incline Bench
3x6 +5lbs -1 rep

Flyes
3x10 +4 reps

Skull Crushers
3x6

Seated Overhead Press
3x10

I want something to replace the Crushers, don't like them. Keeping up with morning cardio, jog/walk a little further each day. The EC helps with that but I'm having to force my meals down and concentrate on not puking :p

Giving Creatine a try, been logging my food intake for the last 8 days. Really useful, I didn't realize how I was eating till I started actually writing it down.

Time to rest up for Saturday.

Warboss Alex

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Vintovka said:
Bench up 5lbs, Flyes same weight more reps, Crushers kept same weight. This seems to be my lightest workout so I threw in some seated dumbbell overhead presses for shoulders. Started light on them.

Incline Bench
3x6 +5lbs -1 rep

Flyes
3x10 +4 reps

Skull Crushers
3x6

Seated Overhead Press
3x10

I want something to replace the Crushers, don't like them. Keeping up with morning cardio, jog/walk a little further each day. The EC helps with that but I'm having to force my meals down and concentrate on not puking :p

Giving Creatine a try, been logging my food intake for the last 8 days. Really useful, I didn't realize how I was eating till I started actually writing it down.

Time to rest up for Saturday.
For triceps: dips, close grip bench, dips, reverse grip bench, dips, french press, dips, jm presses, dips, tate presses..

I like the look of your workouts, keep it up!

Vintovka

Don Juan
Reaction score
Dips much?

I get the feeling that dips may be useful, I'll try to find a way to do them in my apartment.

Vintovka

Don Juan
Reaction score
Boo to my grip strength

This workout was a disappoint, took my squats up 3 reps, stayed same on calf raises but had to drop a set and knock weight down 50lbs on SL deads. Grip was failing by the last set of calf raises. My forearms and finger joints were screaming trying to finish out the deads so just called it a day.

Squats
3x9 +3 Reps

Calf Raises
3x20

Straight Leg Deadlifts
2x7 -2 Reps -50 lbs

On a general note, I need to get to a real gym and my form needs work. Keeping up with morning cardio, gonna rest totally tomorrow, figuring light cardio 6 days a week is enough. Sleeping ~8 hours week nights and getting 9 on the weekends. Diet is better, today was cheat meal day and I think that plays into my lackluster Saturday lifts, I feel like crap after fast food. Would an all lean steak all the time diet be a bad thing? :p I feel better/stronger/energized after chowing a big slab of cow.

Till Tuesday.

Warboss Alex

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Vintovka said:
Would an all lean steak all the time diet be a bad thing? :p I feel better/stronger/energized after chowing a big slab of cow.
as do I. it would be a good, good thing. :D

Throttle

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
ditto... I'd eat it 3 times a day if I could afford to.

Vintovka

Don Juan
Reaction score
Begin Week 4

Making progress, dropped hammers for concentration curls and knocked weight down 5 lbs to see if this works better for me. Rows up 5 lbs down 4 reps, Deads same weight up 1 rep.

Concentration Curls
3x6

Bent Over Rows
3x6 +5 lbs -4 reps

Deads
3x7 +1 rep

Keeping my kcals around 2500, 250g+ of protein per day and only significant source of carbs is my morning oatmeal. 15 minutes of morning cardio as always, although just a brisk walk for the past 3 mornings. Playing it safe with my knees this time around. I'll prolly jog a bit tomorrow.

As for non-food intake:
EC twice a day, 6 days a week; 2 multi's every morning; 625mg Green Tea extract twice a day, everyday; 5g of creatine with my morning oats and 5-10g in PWO yogurt(just started).

I have a set of defined goals for the next 8 months in my head, when I get a free moment I'm gonna write them out here so I see them everytime I update.

Warboss Alex

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Vintovka said:
Making progress, dropped hammers for concentration curls and knocked weight down 5 lbs to see if this works better for me. Rows up 5 lbs down 4 reps, Deads same weight up 1 rep.

Concentration Curls
3x6

Bent Over Rows
3x6 +5 lbs -4 reps

Deads
3x7 +1 rep

Keeping my kcals around 2500, 250g+ of protein per day and only significant source of carbs is my morning oatmeal. 15 minutes of morning cardio as always, although just a brisk walk for the past 3 mornings. Playing it safe with my knees this time around. I'll prolly jog a bit tomorrow.

As for non-food intake:
EC twice a day, 6 days a week; 2 multi's every morning; 625mg Green Tea extract twice a day, everyday; 5g of creatine with my morning oats and 5-10g in PWO yogurt(just started).

I have a set of defined goals for the next 8 months in my head, when I get a free moment I'm gonna write them out here so I see them everytime I update.
Why the EC stack? Are you trying to lose weight?

Your supplementation looks good as do your workouts, although I'd drop the deads to 2-3 x 5 so you can use a lil more weight with them. I also think you'd benefit from doing deads before rows as they're both back thickness exercises.

I like the look of the workout otherwise. Maybe higher reps on the curls?