Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Vegans and Vegetarians

zekko

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I'm curious if there are any vegans or vegetarians on the board. I'm not aware of any, and I kind of doubt it. Because most posters here are young guys looking to bulk up.

I'm not vegetarian, nor do I have any real desire to be, although I've tried it for short periods before. I wouldn't mind incorporating more meatless meals, or maybe even have a "Meatless Monday" or something like that. If there are any here, I'd really like to know what a typical supper might look like for you. When I tried it before, I felt like I wasn't getting enough protein. I also found myself eating a lot of fake meats like vegan bacon or whatnot, but I didn't really like that because then you're getting into processed foods and it's not really a natural meal.

f(x)

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
I’m moving toward a 25% meat, 75% plant diet. Tom Brady (40s) and Kelly Slater (50s) are prime examples of this and arguably, some of the greatest athletes of our time.

I’ve tried strictly vegetarian diets, but like you say, sooner or later I just end up eating over-processed garden burgers, etc.

I think the key is just to introduce a lot more fresh produce and whole grains while also enjoying smaller quantities of meat of a higher quality - steak salads are great!

My current meal plan includes vegan green smoothies, chicken vegetable soup or sandwich, and overnight oats with almond milk and berries.

Usually one day a week I’ll stray and eat comfort food and maybe have a beer, but I try to stay consistent with the smoothies, soup, and oats.

I’m in my mid 40s and still lift, hike/bike, and surf regularly. I think the produce and fiber helps with the circulation.

Sometimes younger women are surprised when I tell them my age. I have noticed the same with older women who eat their veggies -they tend to age better.

zekko

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
My current meal plan includes vegan green smoothies, chicken vegetable soup or sandwich, and overnight oats with almond milk and berries.
Oats are a good suggestion, berries are always healthy. Chicken soup isn't vegetarian but whatever. I don't plan on becoming vegetarian, just maybe eating more plants. I've never been a fan of drinking my meals - smoothies, protein shakes, and the like. Maybe I should give it another try though.

Bible_Belt

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I can get by on cottage cheese, if it is a brand I like, and icelandic style skyyr yogurt, which is very high in protein. It is similar to what the vikings ate when they travelled by boat to go whoop some ass.

EyeBRollin

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Eating more plants is optimal. However, Vegan & (to a lesser extent) vegetarian is inefficient due to the bioavailability of amino acids and some important minerals such as iron.

Bible_Belt

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Eating more plants is optimal. However, Vegan & (to a lesser extent) vegetarian is inefficient due to the bioavailability of amino acids and some important minerals such as iron.
Can you share some science and stuff to support that claim? I think vegetarians outnumber meat eaters on this planet, because meat is expensive and so many people are poor.

EyeBRollin

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Can you share some science and stuff to support that claim? I think vegetarians outnumber meat eaters on this planet, because meat is expensive and so many people are poor.
There is no plant that is a complete protein. The most bio available sources are whey proteins, milk, eggs, red meat, fish, and poultry. As for iron, there is heme and non-heme iron. Again, non heme iron comes from plants is not absorbed as easily as heme iron, which is from animal sources.

EDIT: There are a few complete protein sources such as quinoa. They just contain significant less protein per serving when compared to animal sources.

Last edited:

metalwater

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
also can investigate insects. try "edible insects" in google.

Bandolero

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
I don't want to be rude in this thread, but had any of you guys tried the carnivore diet?
I was months vegetarian, vegan, did low carb, fasted and all the other stuff but never tried the carnivore diet. Maybe any of you guys have some experiences.

FlexpertHamilton

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I don't want to be rude in this thread, but had any of you guys tried the carnivore diet?
I was months vegetarian, vegan, did low carb, fasted and all the other stuff but never tried the carnivore diet. Maybe any of you guys have some experiences.
Yes, and it was by far the most effective diet I've ever been on. I did it along with OMAD for about 3 months and it cleared up all my IBS-like issues (bloating, constipation), eliminated brain fog, and I lost a lot of subcutaneous fat around my waist and chest that I've been plagued with my entire life. Also lost about 20 lbs but that was a mere afterthought. The most noticeable benefit was definitely the elimination of brain fog and bloating.

It is hard to maintain though because it's essentially an elimination diet the most extreme, but it's worth trying for a couple months to see how you feel.

Last edited:

Bandolero

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Tha
Yes, and it was by far the most effective diet I've ever been on. I did it along with OMAD for about 3 months and it cleared up all my IBS-like issues (bloating, constipation), eliminated brain fog, and I lost a lot of subcutaneous fat around my waist and chest that I've been plagued with my entire life. Also lost about 20 lbs but that was a mere afterthought. The most noticeable benefit was definitely the elimination of brain fog and bloating.

It is hard to maintain though because it's essentially an elimination diet the most extreme, but it's worth trying for a couple months to see how you feel.
Thank you.
Could you give us more insight on your meals? What did you eat and what to drink?

FlexpertHamilton

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Thank you.
Could you give us more insight on your meals? What did you eat and what to drink?
I ate a lot of omelettes with ground beef and sour cream, bacon, jalapeno sausage, and lots of steak and salmon with hollandaise. Also had some sriracha tuna and calamari. It was more of a keto/carnivore hybrid diet than strict carnivore at first but in the last month steak made up 90% of my diet. Didn't drink anything besides water and coffee.

I think the biggest takeaway for me was eliminating fiber. Watch this video if you want to hear more about it.

Bandolero

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Thanks
I ate a lot of omelettes with ground beef and sour cream, bacon, jalapeno sausage, and lots of steak and salmon with hollandaise. Also had some sriracha tuna and calamari. It was more of a keto/carnivore hybrid diet than strict carnivore at first but in the last month steak made up 90% of my diet. Didn't drink anything besides water and coffee.

I think the biggest takeaway for me was eliminating fiber. Watch this video if you want to hear more about it.

Thanks my man. I'll give it a try in may and I will share my progress . 2 months should be enough time.

Bible_Belt

Master Don Juan
Reaction score

Everyone agrees bread is not that great of a food, but fiber also includes all vegetables.

If you don't have some fiber, you could be competitive at other things besides bodybuilding.

BackInTheGame78

Reaction score
I'm curious if there are any vegans or vegetarians on the board. I'm not aware of any, and I kind of doubt it. Because most posters here are young guys looking to bulk up.

I'm not vegetarian, nor do I have any real desire to be, although I've tried it for short periods before. I wouldn't mind incorporating more meatless meals, or maybe even have a "Meatless Monday" or something like that. If there are any here, I'd really like to know what a typical supper might look like for you. When I tried it before, I felt like I wasn't getting enough protein. I also found myself eating a lot of fake meats like vegan bacon or whatnot, but I didn't really like that because then you're getting into processed foods and it's not really a natural meal.
This is based on not understanding numerous things.

First I am not currently vegetarian but I was for 6 months where I ate no meat...did continue eating fish, eggs and dairy(Lacto-Ovo Vegetarian). Saw no dropoffs but also no real difference in how I felt so I stopped. However the most surprising thing is I didn't miss eating meat at all and I would devour 3-4 chicken breasts a day most days and had Ben doing this for years.

Second, the more trained a person is in the gym the LESS protein they need, not more. This is because the body has become very efficient at using it and they are breaking down far less muscle tissue when they train then a new person would be.

Third, it is entirely possible to get enough protein being vegan or vegetarian, you simply may have to rely on more protein powders or ensure you are mixing different types of things together to get complete protein sources...although they don't necessarily need to be eaten during the same meal just the same day. As always the key amino acid and the one the body uses as it's marker of protein levels in the body is Leucine, which is really only found in high amounts in peas and green pea protein powder outside of animal products.

The average person only can USE 100-150g of protein a day, and that is on the HIGH side. In fact researchers found there is ZERO benefit towards gaining muscle past a threshold of 0.68g/lb of lean mass. However to be doubly sure, they went to 95% double confidence which is the gold standard for certainty of a study and gave 0.84g/lb of lean mass. UNLESS you are on steroids which allows more protein to be synthesized into muscle by the body...that is the rate limiting step of the process that steroids overrides, meaning without them it is like having a governor on an engine and no matter how fast it can go, it is only allowed to go up to a certain limit.

Fourth, the amino acids are what matter not what the protein source is. For instance I take Perfect Amino which gives the equivalent of 30g of protein per scoop while only counting 2 calories as the amino acids are broken down already and delivered in perfect ratios. Green Pea Protein and Brown Rice Protein mixed together have a near identical amino acid profile to whey protein which is considered the gold standard In terms of protein powders(which btw are completely unneeded if you simply eat whole foods but are convenient I will admit).

So most of what you said I completely disagree with based on my findings while doing it myself and on numerous other people's results.

There are many examples of vegan and vegetarian bodybuilders both on the sauce and off so it isn't like steroids are a requirement to do this.

BackInTheGame78

Reaction score

Any diet where you paid attention to foods your body didn't like and then start eliminating them would have had the same effect.

Most people are holding in a lot of inflammatory water weight that would go away if they stopped eating reactive foods.

There is no such thing as an inherently "healthy" food. Only one that either works for your body chemistry or one that causes inflammation and weight gain. If you continue eating these foods it will become chronic inflammation leading to all kinds of issues especially with your thyroid and other hormones.

Some of the most reactive foods people believe are "healthy" are whey protein, Greek yogurt, salmon, cauliflower, tomatoes, peppers, potatoes, skim milk, egg yolks, and wheat bread(really wheat anything).

If you feel bloated, blah, etc and eat these regularly the first thing you should do is eliminate these and see if you lose several pounds within a week...if so, you have been basically destroying yourself internally.

Some of the most "unhealthy foods" that most people do great with? White bread, white rice, full fat beef, full fat dairy, etc.

zekko

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
So most of what you said I completely disagree with based on my findings while doing it myself and on numerous other people's results.
I'm not sure what it is that you're disagreeing with me about, other than the bit where I said I felt like I wasn't getting enough protein. Which is how I felt, whether in fact I was or not. The reason I said that is because I felt pretty good overall, but I noticed that I sometimes got a little lightheaded and dizzy. Maybe that was just a coincidence, I don't know. But I wasn't eating fish, eggs, or protein powder, so maybe that had something to do with it. I have no objection to eating any of those things, it was just something I was trying. The main point of my post was to ask what vegetarians/vegans were eating for meals.