True love? Insights from an Italian Quote

jhonny9546

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Original Text from italian quote
"Nessuno può innamorarsi se è soddisfatto anche solo parzialmente di ciò che ha o di chi è.
L'esperienza dell'innamoramento ha origine in una depressione estrema, nell'incapacità di trovare qualcosa che abbia valore nella vita di tutti i giorni.
Il "sintomo" della predisposizione ad innamorarsi non è il desiderio cosciente di farlo, il desiderio intenso di arricchire la propria vita: è il senso profondo di non valere nulla e di non avere nulla che abbia valore e la vergogna di non averlo....
Per questo motivo l'innamoramento avviene più frequentemente tra i giovani, poiché sono profondamente incerti, insicuri del proprio valore e spesso si vergognano di se stessi. La stessa cosa vale per le persone di altre età quando perdono qualcosa nella loro vita, quando finisce la loro giovinezza o quando iniziano a invecchiare."

Translated to English
"No one can fall in love if they are even partially satisfied with what they have or who they are.
The experience of falling in love originates in extreme depression, in the inability to find something of value in everyday life.
The "symptom" of the predisposition to fall in love is not the conscious desire to do so nor the intense desire to enrich one's life: it is the profound sense of not being worth anything and of having nothing of value and the shame of not having it... .
For this reason, falling in love happens more frequently among young people, since they are deeply uncertain, unsure of their own value and often ashamed of themselves. The same thing goes for people of other ages when they lose something in their life, when their youth ends or when they start to age."

Is this basically saying that love, true love, is born from an unhealthy state of our life, an unhealthy attachment to a person, out of the fear of abandonment? And this could happen in life more than once.
You can be a single, depressed teen.
You can be a married, depressed wife.
Etc.

Scaramouche

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Hi Jhonny,
"No one can fall in love if they are even partially satisfied with what they have or who they are."....'aint that just soo true!

BillyPilgrim

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
For the sake of balance, here's an anti-Italian quote:

"The Virgin Mary is not more important than Jesus Christ."

- SoSuave member BillyPIlgrim

In other words, there's little insight to be gleaned from a place with messed up gender relations as Italy.

Scaramouche

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Hi Billy,
I sometimes Dance with an old Italian Lady,who during her life has ditched two Italian Partners.....I once asked her,how that happened,them having the reputation of being so romantic? She told me,"Scarra,they might be the Worlds best lovers but they are definitely its worst Husbands".

Scaramouche

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Hi Billy,
Just remembered another interesting little tete a tete I had with this Italian Lady....She used to be alway magnificently kitted out with truly beautiful and valuable bling,I once complimented her on this saying,"Carla,you must have been deeply loved by some wonderful Men",she looked me straight in the eye,responding,"Scarra,where you see beauty and generosity,I remember expiation for the humiliation their indiscretions had put me through"

Scaramouche

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Hi Johny,
"explain this" What,no please?....these were the words of an "old Italian Lady,who during her life has ditched two Italian Partners",You would have to ask her....But if you are genuinely curious as I was, try Googling the matter in,as I hesitate to offend,I desist from comment!

jhonny9546

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Hi Johny,
"explain this" What,no please?....these were the words of an "old Italian Lady,who during her life has ditched two Italian Partners",You would have to ask her....But if you are genuinely curious as I was, try Googling the matter in,as I hesitate to offend,I desist from comment!
I don't know but women of the past, are not really like women today.

Scaramouche

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Hi Jhonny,
"I don't know but women of the past, are not really like women today." Yes,I worked that out 20 odd years ago and took up with Chinese Girls,you have to forget about any shared sense of humour and get used to Chinese Cooking,unlike you whose National Cuisine is splendissimo,I come from an Anglo background our cuisine is nothing to write home to Mother about,so that was no great sacrifice.

Last edited: