Top Ten Rules of Life

backbreaker

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Mistakes are nothing more than speed bumps on the backroad that is called success

KontrollerX

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Good stuff backbreaker.

Its also been phrased...

"I am not discouraged, because every wrong attempt discarded is another step forward."-Thomas Edison

Bonhomme

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Mistakes are nothing more than speed bumps on the backroad that is called success
Often true. But anyone on Death Row will make a strong argument against it that no "positive thinking" philosophy can very well trump. There's no way to spin that into something positive without looking toward an afterlife or next life...

It all depends. My point is that one should be aware of the difference between "the sky being the limit" in the sense you're writing about, backbreaker, and jumping off a cliff with nothing but your own arms and legs to propel you expecting to fly...

And I still think it's better to learn from the mistakes of others before they become your own "speedbumps on the road to success."

But I've found there is simply no way to anticipate every disaster or misfortune that slams you, or even be in a position to deal with it in a way that enables you to "pick yourself up and dust yourself off." Shit happens, no matter how well informed or prepared one may be.

The fact that one who says that may not be in a enviable position doesn't change the fact or its value, but could give you the info you need to prevent it from happening to you and putting you in the same fix they're in.

djbr

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Wow!

I was off for a while. Nice to take some air around the world... I did so many things with my life, meet so many people, saw many new places... damn, you all ought to turn the computer off for a while! :)

Well... I learned some things:

1) Listen to the older.
2) Listen to what people say, but never take it for face value. Instead, combine it with what they do and you will get valuable information.
3) Get lost. LOL! Seriously, get lost. Go to places you've never been. Travel. Meet people.
4) Being dependable sucks.
5) Do not become "satisfied". Everything sucks, you ought to shake everything up. Change your clothes. Buy a new car. Listen to another kind of music.
6) Work. Find something you like to do and do it well.
7) Smart financial decisions makes life a LOT easier. It interferes with everything.
8) Study. Being smart is very rewarding. The "piece of paper" is the least important part of it.
9) The more you listen to what people think of you, the more you'll see how much they have no idea who you are. Define your own life.
10) "Life is too short to drink cheap beer" -- genius! Know what you want and go after it. No excuses. We do not know if we'll get the chance to live again, so it's wise to make the most out of this one.

LT1

Don Juan
Reaction score
Excellent thread! Very insight read, I can definitely relate to a number of these.

penkitten

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
get to know someone completely before you propose the rest of your life with them.

Rata Blanca

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
penkitten said:
get to know someone completely before you propose the rest of your life with them.
How is this possible?