The truth about height

jakethasnake

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by Jay-X
i thought he was about 5'4", but i don't remember really well how he looks... how tall is he?
Jackie Chan's 5'6" barefoot - I stood next to him in the locker room. He wears lifts in public appearances (like Sly and Mel et al) that makes him about 5'9". :D

juanstepatatime

Don Juan
Reaction score
Oh come on people! You CANNOT compare celebrities to normal people. Celebrity is, in itself, such a plus that it skews everything.

Both the people who say height makes no difference, and the people who say that shortness is insurmountable are full of BS. It is a factor, like anything else. It affects how OTHER PEOPLE VIEW YOU and how YOU VIEW YOURSELF.

Acknowledge it. Then deal with it. But don't develop a complex over it.

PoloBlue

Don Juan
Reaction score
Jackie Chans barely 5 ft 6", I had an old Kung fu magazine with a story about him when he was new to American movies and they said he was 5 feet 5" inches and weighes around 150 pounds this was when he was around 28 years old.

Jason#4

Don Juan
Reaction score
The girl I'm dating doesn't seem to mind my height. I'm 5'7, she's 5'9. Even with my Doc Marten's she's still a bit taller than me. All around, I'd rate her an 8, a 9 if she was shorter. Btw, she asked ME out. I was pretty bothered by the height issue at first, but if it doesn't bother her, I guess it doesn't bother me either. Anyway, height doesn't matter when you are lying down.

Ultra

Don Juan
Reaction score
I am 5'4, with a good build and cut around 152 lbs.

The only time I found a girl that actually liked short guys was last summer. We were co-workers, and she was flirting with me pretty heavily... for some reason height came up and I pointed out a real tall guy and she said something like, "Oh yeah, tall and skinny is a REAL turn-on" in a very sarcastic tone. She told me she liked guys muscular and short, which I fit perfectly.

Being short never bothered me until college. Trying to approach or even make eye contact is hard. I am decent looking.. a little boyish, but definitely normal. Girls will just NOT make eye-contact with me. It is frustrating. I think they use it as an initial filter... I am not complaining, just stating the facts. Once in a situation where skills come into play, a short guy can definitely win girls over. But many girls will not even look at a guy thats short walking the street.

RogueWarrior

Don Juan
Reaction score
I'm 5'4" and let me tell you from personal experience, that's one more f'ing thing to overcome. It's not impossible, just more difficult.

One simple reason is that a large percentage of women just won't go out with a short guy. This is one reason why I bailed on Match.com. Given that my personal taste is for shorter women, I'd tend to read the profile for that type. They ALL said the same thing (in precisely the same words) "I want a guy between 5'8" and 6'2"" Nnnkkkaaaaay...next.

But, truth be told, the first girl I had a LTR with was taller than I.

Now, if you think it's all about an inferiority complex on the part of the guy, think again. A few years back, Diane Sawyer did a piece on this very subject. The test was fairly simple: a one-way mirror/police-lineup style study. A group of women were in one room and some guys were brought in to the lineup. One of them was distinctly shorter than all the others. Sawyer then asked the women who they thought they might like to go out with. Purely on looks alone at this point, the women all picked the tall-dark-handsome guys. Makes sense right? It gets better. Sawyer then starts telling the women a little bit about each guy. She'd paint a rather bleak picture of the tall guys as having little education, not-so-great jobs, etc etc. They still picked the tall guys. So then she starts telling them that the short guy was a doctor or a highly successful businessman or a Pulitzer-prize winning author or a CEO or something else along those lines. No soap...the women weren't interested. She continues to malign the tall guys and continues to turn the short guy into a god. Still no soap. The short guy got no reaction from these women. Finally, Sawyer pulls back the curtain to reveal the wizard and tells the women what the test was really all about. The women were all shocked. One could draw the conclusion that short guys have a complex - because women gave it to them.

Bottom line though is that there's nothing you can do about it except don't let it or anyone else define who you are.

A friend once told me "Joke 'em if they can't take a f**k." If she's so superficial that height is a deal-breaker, next her. Something like that would only be the tip of a nice sharp iceberg.

ScrewIt

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
i'm 5'10" altho it wouldnt hurt if i were a few inches taller

it's odd how genetics works. i knew this guy in h.s. he was the middle child, yet him and his older bro were the same height. Yet the youngest child was the tallest out of them all. of course he was skinny. i find that short people often have a stubby build and tall guys tend to be skinny. gals too.

and i have a friend who's about 5'6 or 5'7 maybe, and he's shorter than his younger bro and sis.

Fatality

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by RogueWarrior
I'm 5'4" and let me tell you from personal experience, that's one more f'ing thing to overcome. It's not impossible, just more difficult.

One simple reason is that a large percentage of women just won't go out with a short guy. This is one reason why I bailed on Match.com. Given that my personal taste is for shorter women, I'd tend to read the profile for that type. They ALL said the same thing (in precisely the same words) "I want a guy between 5'8" and 6'2"" Nnnkkkaaaaay...next.

But, truth be told, the first girl I had a LTR with was taller than I.

Now, if you think it's all about an inferiority complex on the part of the guy, think again. A few years back, Diane Sawyer did a piece on this very subject. The test was fairly simple: a one-way mirror/police-lineup style study. A group of women were in one room and some guys were brought in to the lineup. One of them was distinctly shorter than all the others. Sawyer then asked the women who they thought they might like to go out with. Purely on looks alone at this point, the women all picked the tall-dark-handsome guys. Makes sense right? It gets better. Sawyer then starts telling the women a little bit about each guy. She'd paint a rather bleak picture of the tall guys as having little education, not-so-great jobs, etc etc. They still picked the tall guys. So then she starts telling them that the short guy was a doctor or a highly successful businessman or a Pulitzer-prize winning author or a CEO or something else along those lines. No soap...the women weren't interested. She continues to malign the tall guys and continues to turn the short guy into a god. Still no soap. The short guy got no reaction from these women. Finally, Sawyer pulls back the curtain to reveal the wizard and tells the women what the test was really all about. The women were all shocked. One could draw the conclusion that short guys have a complex - because women gave it to them.

Bottom line though is that there's nothing you can do about it except don't let it or anyone else define who you are.

A friend once told me "Joke 'em if they can't take a f**k." If she's so superficial that height is a deal-breaker, next her. Something like that would only be the tip of a nice sharp iceberg.
That guy was 5'0. Basically shorter than most girls.

Juan_Man

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Jackie Chan is taller than 5'6''. He was on an episode of Martin and he was taller than the 5'7'' Martin Lawrence.

blue17

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Height isn't an issue unless you make it one.

Don't pay attention to girls who say "i only like tall guys" or "i dont date short men" or anything along those lines. As many of you may already know, girls say one thing but will do another.

TheRelic

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
You cant change your height.

If you're good enough the woman won't give a toss if you're a russian midget or a giraffe, so hows bout focusing on the important things?

sfalexi

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
I'm 5'4". It's hard to deal with. Seems to me that girls DO often discount me for my height (well, ones that are an inch or two shorter and up from there anyway). Either that, or they expect me to be bitter because of my height (and therefore read into my confidence as "making up for my shortness", or expect me to be too shy and innocent and therefore think I'm "too nice").

It's a hurdle. But like said above, I can't change it. WTF am I supposed to do? Just try to deal with it. It ain't the greatest. I'm in good shape, I'm a smart guy, blah blah blah, but physically if I were 8 inches taller I'd be "perfect", otherwise I'm a "great friend".

Just gotta deal with it.

You say height isn't an issue unless you make it one, but it is. Regardless. It's like any of us looking at two girls, both very similarly dressed, one of them a hundred pounds heavier than the other. We're gonna choose the slimmer (and therefore more appealing one) to talk to. We won't even BOTHER with the other because we immediately look and say, "That's not what I want."

So yes, it's harder. And yes, I would have had plenty more dates if I was taller. But what can I do but accept it at some point? Better that than being bitter forever.

Alexi

sfalexi

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by Ultra
I am 5'4, with a good build and cut around 152 lbs.

The only time I found a girl that actually liked short guys was last summer. We were co-workers, and she was flirting with me pretty heavily... for some reason height came up and I pointed out a real tall guy and she said something like, "Oh yeah, tall and skinny is a REAL turn-on" in a very sarcastic tone. She told me she liked guys muscular and short, which I fit perfectly.

Being short never bothered me until college. Trying to approach or even make eye contact is hard. I am decent looking.. a little boyish, but definitely normal. Girls will just NOT make eye-contact with me. It is frustrating. I think they use it as an initial filter... I am not complaining, just stating the facts. Once in a situation where skills come into play, a short guy can definitely win girls over. But many girls will not even look at a guy thats short walking the street.
BTW, I'm very similar to this poster. Same height, almost the same weight, with probably a very similar cut/build. And also same experiences (eye contact and whatnot)

jakethasnake

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by Juan_Man
Jackie Chan is taller than 5'6''. He was on an episode of Martin and he was taller than the 5'7'' Martin Lawrence.

Martin Lawrence is a short-ass black man. Short by non-black standards, even. He is NOT 5'7". SISQUO is another short black shrimp-man. Jackie Chan is about 5'6" to 5'7" barefoot - I met the man in person, for chrissake. In a locker room of an exclusive spa facility. He had a bodyguard no more than 5 feet from him, even as he was changing buck naked. :DHe's about 5'9" in his special dress shoes, with small lifts.

By the way, non-Asian men ALWAYS inflate their height. Always. Celebrities and even everyday Joe Schmoes. I've had suckas claim they were 5'10" when they were shorter than me. NONE of them were Asian.

It's all part of the body dymorphism phenomenon. A recenty study showed that men from the West (esp. America) tended to have more widespread and severe cases of male body dymorphism (to put it simply, a "complex"), and tended to think that bodies which were 20-30 pounds heavier than what women actually preferred was the "ideal" - i.e. what women wanted. I think the same applies to height - this is why men exaggerate height. I see a muthafukka's drivers' liscence, and his listed height is ALWAYS, ALWAYS, ALWAYS one to two inches taller than his real height. Sheeeeit. :D

Brak86

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
you all CANNOT use Celebrities as examples. They do not represent most people. They are filthy rich, very famous, and most of even the shorter guys (ie: tom cruise) are very very handsome that most girls can look past his height.

Im 5'7" and 17 years old. I cant pretend that i dont care about my height, i do. And im tryin to improve my other looks, the stuff i can change. Until then, for some reason, i care more aobut my height, but i think when i improve everything that i can improve, my height will be less of a problem. I can also hope...my dad and brothers grew a couple inches in college ;)

MasterPlayer

Don Juan
Reaction score
First of all, I'm about 5'6", and about 155lbs and I have a descent build, and I keep in shape by working out. I'd like to consider myself above average looking. I've never had a problem with my height. As long as you don't let it become a problem within yourself, your fine. If someone else has a problem with your height, then that's their problem not yours. Just be happy with yourself.

As for picking up girls. Just this weekend I was at a bar, and I was with my taller friend who's about 6'1". He's a great DJ, and I've sharpened up my skills really good aswell (I acutally learned a lot of skills from him). I came out on top that night with picking up more women then him. Most of the women were taller then me. I even witnessed a significant taller girl reject him, and give me her number. Most nights at a bar I have no problem picking up women, taller or shorter, it has a lot to do with my style and my confidence at the club. I carry that same style and confidence at college, gym whereever I can.

I had three LTR hb ex-girlfriends in the past that were taller then me. They had no problem with it. Obviously some girls will not like you because your shorter, just as some girls might not like you because of your race/religion/skin color etc... these are factors beyond your control and therefore you shouldn't let them be a significant factor in how you shape your life and your djing skills. Polish up your other skills, and don't let it bother you. Get over your height issure if your insecure about it, infact try to get rid of all your insecurities. The hb I am with now is about 1-2 inches shorter then me barefoot and the same height or a bit taller wearing heels. For me this is perfect.

Another tip: I think David DeAngelo was saying if your shorter then the girl, the mind set and message you should convey in a ****+ funny manner is that normally you won't even consider dating a taller girl but you might make it an exception this time. This is sort of turning the tables on them for being taller then you.

Keep Pimpin'
-MasterPlayer

donjuan matteo

Don Juan
Reaction score
I'm 5'6 tall...and my state of mind stands above them all.

Get this frame permanently internalized, and it will no longer be an issue.

Taller chicks are VERY lucky if I give them a chance with me.

Shorter chicks who use height as a sexual filter...all that ends once they meet me.

jiza101

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I just went to a strip club for my mates 18th birthday, and damn there were some hot strippers. I saw some hot shorter chicks and decided i now want to **** shorter skinnier chicks. They have more of a **** me now aura than tall chicks. Im 6'1 btw

MrHarris

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
I have a friend who dated a dude named Clarence. Clarence is 4'11 and has a 13 inch ****. He is now a light weight boxer on ESPN from USoEC boxing school in the mid west.

Now god was kind to this man. What he lacked in height he made up for in something no one on this board will ever possess!

But this woman is 5'6 also. She said it was his charasma that attracted to him.