Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

The Secret to Massive Triceps

Warboss Alex

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
couldn't agree more! :up: of the two exercises though, the close grips shade it as being superior as a triceps builder since you can use more weight safely. (if you're a big person or use lots of additional weight with dips you may find it bothers your shoulders)

but you should of course do both for maximum effectiveness!

stronglifts

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Warboss Alex said:
couldn't agree more! :up: of the two exercises though, the close grips shade it as being superior as a triceps builder since you can use more weight safely. (if you're a big person or use lots of additional weight with dips you may find it bothers your shoulders)

but you should of course do both for maximum effectiveness!
Thanks Alex. Advanced trainees will definitely have it easier with the cgbp than the dips when going after big weights. Couldn't agree more.

WesCottII

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
What do you mean when you say "Try to break the bar"?

I like your stuff man.

stronglifts

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
WesCottII said:
What do you mean when you say "Try to break the bar"?

I like your stuff man.
Thank you!

Trying to break the bar means that you have to try to break the bar apart. You grip the bar strong & try to bend it.

This involved the triceps more & allows bigger weights.

Old powerlifting trick.

WesCottII

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Aah, cool.

Do you recommend most of the tricep work should come with lifting heavy chest sets, and only doing 1/2 sets for the tricep?

stronglifts

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
WesCottII said:
Aah, cool.

Do you recommend most of the tricep work should come with lifting heavy chest sets, and only doing 1/2 sets for the tricep?
Good question.

Heavy bench press/overhead press will already hit the triceps hard. I don't do any direct triceps work to be honest. I let the overhead press do the job. I'm happy with the results (not doing bodybuilding anyway).

If you want a bigger triceps:
1) eat more
2) add exercises for the triceps (1 exercise of 3 sets & 8 reps or 2 exercises of 2 sets & 8reps)
3) give your triceps time to recover. don't do too much.

mrRuckus

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Lower the bar to your lower chest
Where?

I can't get a clue as to what is actually proper or if it matters that much. Starting Strength pretty much as you going to your nipples, while the other day i saw that powerlifters go lower, and I just read an Arioch article nonchalantly saying the bar should be lowered to the "apex of the arch." That's pretty much your navel!

I'm really interested in this because i'm trying to perfect my bench form and i find it hard to keep the bar low especially on the last reps where it wants to travel up (i assume because i push with delts too much).

I assume closegrips is pretty much the same form as a regular grip.

stronglifts

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
espi -> presses are superior to any kind of extensions, more weight is used. We all have our preferences of course. Whatever works for you.

mrRuckus said:
Where?

I can't get a clue as to what is actually proper or if it matters that much. Starting Strength pretty much as you going to your nipples, while the other day i saw that powerlifters go lower, and I just read an Arioch article nonchalantly saying the bar should be lowered to the "apex of the arch." That's pretty much your navel!

I'm really interested in this because i'm trying to perfect my bench form and i find it hard to keep the bar low especially on the last reps where it wants to travel up (i assume because i push with delts too much).

I assume closegrips is pretty much the same form as a regular grip.
Looking at videos of powerlifters doing max attempts is not the best thing to do. Technique goes lost in all of us when doing max attempts.

Your morphology pretty much dictates where the bar should be. In starting strength, go page 81/82. Elbows. Forearm should be perpendicular with the floor. Take a video of yourself benching. Analyze forearm position. If they are not perpendicular to the floor, change bar position until you find the sweet spot.

Hockey Playa

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
2 questions :

-I always get a sharp pain my right wrist when doing close grip. I think its because my grip may not be right...i just do it the same as BP grip, just it feels awkward in CGBP, and i have to stop

- Do you recommend splitting up regular BP, and CGBP throughout the week? or on the same day (Which i imagine would be hard)

PS when are you going to post that deadlift form video for me :p

stronglifts

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Hockey Playa said:
2 questions :

-I always get a sharp pain my right wrist when doing close grip. I think its because my grip may not be right...i just do it the same as BP grip, just it feels awkward in CGBP, and i have to stop

- Do you recommend splitting up regular BP, and CGBP throughout the week? or on the same day (Which i imagine would be hard)

PS when are you going to post that deadlift form video for me :p
1) do some wrist stretches
2) Hold the weight at the base of your palm, as close to your wrist as possible (but in you rhand of course). thumbs around the bar.
3) check the grip width, it should be shoulder-width apart (12-14 inch)
4) You could mix chest with triceps. One press, one flye exercise for pecs, than the cgbp or dips for triceps. Or you could just drop the bp & replace it by the cgbp. the cgbp hits the pecs too, but to a lesser degree.

The deadlift video will be available as soon as I deadlift. Need to check my training journal, but I think it's programmed in 3 weeks.

Patience ;)

blinkwatt

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Espi said:
Best tricep building exercises:

Dips
Skullcrushers

The article is remiss in exempting the latter.
+1 for skullcrushers,I can't into the whole dip exercise,I really feel it more in my chest then tri.

Warboss Alex

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
don't know many people who can do skullcrushers heavy enough to make them on a par with dips or close grip benches. any sort of extension movement is going to bother your elbows unless the reps are fairly high (which limits the weight), this does induce growth but you should always aim for the heaviest weight moved possible. skullcrushers complement your main tricep presses but unless you can go heavy enough on them without discomfort then I'd stick to the pressing movements. of course if you're already doing chest and shoulder presses on your tricep day do some extensions - depends how your routine is laid out.

stronglifts

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
blinkwatt said:
+1 for skullcrushers,I can't into the whole dip exercise,I really feel it more in my chest then tri.
* keep the torso vertical
* lower yourself until upper arms parallel with the floor

Not doing this will turn it into a chest exercise.

stronglifts

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Warboss Alex said:
don't know many people who can do skullcrushers heavy enough to make them on a par with dips or close grip benches. any sort of extension movement is going to bother your elbows unless the reps are fairly high (which limits the weight), this does induce growth but you should always aim for the heaviest weight moved possible. skullcrushers complement your main tricep presses but unless you can go heavy enough on them without discomfort then I'd stick to the pressing movements. of course if you're already doing chest and shoulder presses on your tricep day do some extensions - depends how your routine is laid out.
Totally agree.

The only extensions I like:

* Barbell floor extensions: very short rom, allows for heavy weights, but painful on the elbows eventually
* JM Press: half the movement is a press.

blinkwatt

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
stronglifts said:
* keep the torso vertical
* lower yourself until upper arms parallel with the floor

Not doing this will turn it into a chest exercise.
If you don't go up and down fully then it's not the perfect form is it not?

Warboss Alex

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
blinkwatt said:
If you don't go up and down fully then it's not the perfect form is it not?
going down below under 90 degrees puts unnecessary stress on the shoulder girdle. 90 degree arms or a touch below is fine