The line between gossip and talking about others lives when they're not around

FlexpertHamilton

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
What do you think of this? I personally detest gossip, but among my close friends I find it very difficult to not talk about mutual friends when they're not around. I'm not shvt talking them and I try to actually defend them and explain why they do the things they do, going as far as to speak as if they were present. Yet I still will point out things about mutual friends that they may be doing wrong and ultimately worry about them. Examples include the state of their marriage/relationship and how it might be effecting them, or poor lifestyle/mindset choices. It comes from a place of caring, but I still hate doing it because it seems cowardly to talk about anyone when they're not present.

AmsterdamAssassin

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Gossip is when you say something behind someone's back that you wouldn't say to their face.

FlexpertHamilton

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Gossip is when you say something behind someone's back that you wouldn't say to their face.
Well yes, but if you speak of critically of someone who isn't present but is otherwise characterized by tough love and out of a place of concern, is that inherently bad? If not, I don't get why I feel so guilty for it.

The reason I avoid discussing certain things when said individual is around is because I believe that people have to reach the conclusion on their own terms, and if you try to nip it in bud at the wrong time, it will be counter productive.

For instance, if a friend is with a toxic woman, there's probably nothing you can do to get him to see it. Yet when they inevitably break up, I will tell them everything I suspected all along, because in these moments of vulnerability, they are finally honest and open enough to accept what you're saying. It's just very painful to see people making mistakes and know you just have to wait it out.

Last edited:

BaronOfHair

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
What do you think of this? I personally detest gossip, but among my close friends I find it very difficult to not talk about mutual friends when they're not around. I'm not shvt talking them and I try to actually defend them and explain why they do the things they do, going as far as to speak as if they were present. Yet I still will point out things about mutual friends that they may be doing wrong and ultimately worry about them. Examples include the state of their marriage/relationship and how it might be effecting them, or poor lifestyle/mindset choices. It comes from a place of caring, but I still hate doing it because it seems cowardly to talk about anyone when they're not present.
There's a big difference between asking "What's Bob or Suzy up to these days?", and slandering or/and endlessly prattling on about what f-ck up you think someone is, whenever they're not around

Mike32ct

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Eastern Time Zone where it's always really late
You can listen without adding to the gossipy stuff.

Her: “I think Bob is dating Suzy.”

You: “I can’t wait until lunch. I wanna try that new diner that opened.”

This is also useful in the workplace. Somebody tells you something that you wouldn’t touch with a 10 foot pole. Just don’t add to it. And certainly don’t confirm or agree with it. Just change the subject. You can’t get in trouble for what somebody else said.

AmsterdamAssassin

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
"Did you hear what Bob did?"
"No, if it's important, I have no doubt Bob would tell me."

jhonny9546

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
This is fascinating, since at least in my experience, this is a major element that get woman attratted to a man.
I know this is not a good thing to do for a man, but I wonder why women are attratted to this behaviour from a man..

AmsterdamAssassin

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I know this is not a good thing to do for a man, but I wonder why women are attratted to this behaviour from a man..
They're not.
You only think they are, because they seem to go along, but gossiping is a feminine trait.

Bokanovsky

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Great minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss event, small minds discuss people.

Pierce Manhammer

Reaction score
I recently became part of a group of people. One to the people in the group and I shared an experience with a third person that’s fringe to said group. While the aforementioned was occurring I was like “omfg”, the other person was alongside and I looked at them with a “holy fracking **** look” on my face and the person clearly acknowledged it.

A few days later, all the “cool kids”
were hanging around shooting it and the situation in question was brought specifically and a lot of eye rolling ensued, then I was asked to participate and describe the situation which I refused to. I said “ahh I’d rather not talk about it, if the person is not here to tell their side”.

They egged me on and I still refused. I do not talk shyte about others, and simply by doing this I make myself mostly immune to it. This way I’m known as a straight shooter, not a back biter.

Last edited:

BackInTheGame78

Reaction score
Personally I won't engage in any sort of negative or gossipy convo about a person who isn't present and tell whoever is the one trying to start it that it's not cool to be talking about people when they aren't there.

That usually changes the subject pretty quickly. After a time or two doing this people will know to refrain from this while I am there and don't do it anymore.

jhonny9546

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I do keep coming back to it, and Im doing some research

In this article, they state that taking note of events to gossip after with your woman is a good thing.

Since I see many women interested on that, and if they find a male that actually talk gossip about events, instead of gossip about others, is that a good thing? How do you gossip about events and people without tallking dirty about em?

AmsterdamAssassin

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Since I see many women interested on that, and if they find a male that actually talk gossip about events, instead of gossip about others, is that a good thing? How do you gossip about events and people without tallking dirty about em?
Don't be so desperately feminine.

No matter what the "Art of Manliness" says: Men don't gossip. Period.

jhonny9546

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Don't be so desperately feminine.

No matter what the "Art of Manliness" says: Men don't gossip. Period.

Okay, this is clear!

But I cannot understand why a woman can't wait to see her man back from work to gossip with him about others. (Because she knows her man is the god of gossip.)

Or, other females would go to this man and gossip to him or wait for him to reveal the gossip about that event and then about other people.

This is just something I see, how people interact in relationships. I report in the field.

It looks like this gives them something like a "bonding". With this behavior, they feel like a "group".

Then, if you don't gossip or take part in it, you're seen as the "defective" one.

AmsterdamAssassin

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
This is just something I see, how people interact in relationships. I report in the field.
It looks like this gives them something like a "bonding". With this behavior, they feel like a "group".
No, this what women do in order to bond with other women. And the only 'men' who participate are weak / insecure / feminine males.

Then, if you don't gossip or take part in it, you're seen as the "defective" one.
A real man is discreet and doesn't gossip.
Who cares about the opinion of a bunch of gossipers?

Is it truly 'clear' now? Men don't gossip. Ever.

jhonny9546

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
No, this what women do in order to bond with other women. And the only 'men' who participate are weak / insecure / feminine males.
So this makes also clear that those kinda of women are with those men because like that trait in them.

Also, Which is the correct behave to have when your woman come gossip to you about life/social circle events, (good gossip), but soon after gossip about other people and their choices (bad gossip)?

AmsterdamAssassin

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Also, Which is the correct behave to have when your woman come gossip talk to you about life/social circle events, but soon after gossip about other people and their choices?
Talk is good.
Gossip is bad.
Shut it down as soon as it starts. Like I said above, "If I want to hear about person X, I want to hear it from them, not from you."

So this makes also clear that those kinda of women are with those men because like that trait in them.
No, it just makes clear that you should not date gossipmongers.

Don't keep asking how to act when confronted by gossipers, dummy. Men don't gossip. Period. What's not to understand about that?

jhonny9546

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Don't keep asking how to act when confronted by gossipers, dummy. Men don't gossip. Period. What's not to understand about that?
I'm not an idiot but understand your position.
But we are animals who emulate others, and I've got unlucky to have "feminine" man around me for most of my life