Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

THE GAME NEIL STRAUSS

cabaceira

Don Juan
Reaction score
What are your thoughts on the game by neil strauss?
Is it a good read or it is just not worth it?

SW15

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I never read the book when it came out in 2005. At the time, I was in my early 20s. I've always had interest in doing so but never got around to do it. It probably captures pickup well from the 2000-2004 era. I participated in that era.

In the first half of the 2000s, online dating websites weren't as big as they were from 2006-2012. Swipe apps changed it all around 2012-13.

After 2013, the number of practitioners of in-person approaching decreased. Swipe apps more affected bar approaching than non-bar approaching, since non-bar approaching has always been a bit of a niche activity. Few men have the guts to approach a woman in a non-bar setting while sober whether it is 1980, 2005, or 2021.

It is my understanding that The Game never really covered day game (non-bar approaching), which I liked it. I didn't really get into day game until the early 2010s. I did a little bit of day approaching while hiking in the mid-2000s but never did any grocery store, mall, gym, or fitness class approaching until the 2010s. One of my biggest game regrets is not doing day game on my college campus while in undergrad. In undergrad, more of my approaching was done at night at large residence parties (not really social circle game, closer to bar game) until I was 21 and then it was mostly bar game in my early 20s, which is right when "The Game" was hitting it big.

AureliusMaximus

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Even for its time, it was not a full step by step “cookbook” on gam
I agree. It's more about him (Neil Strauss), telling his story about the game and how he got in into the scene of PUA. It not that telling of how to actually do it in my opinion.

It sort of felt more like reading a marketing material (Because to really learn it you would have buy Neil Strauss' PUA material to get the real candy), than a book educating you about the game and the PUA ways. So you could say the book itself is an introduction to the dating/PUA scene, but it doesn't spill the beans for you.

My five cents tho. :up:

Last edited:

rjc149

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
The Game is an autobiographical account of Neil Strauss' time spent in the PUA community, and his association with Erik von Markovic, aka "Mystery."

The tactics described in the book are from The Mystery Method which is Mystery's PUA manual.

It largely centers on formulas and canned routines that socially retarded D&D nerds, like von Markovic himself, could memorize, rehearse, and perform in live sets. It famously advocated "negging" which are backhanded insults delivered to women as a means of lowering their value to the PUA's level ie "taking them down a few pegs" and thus leveling the playing field. Another famous prescription was "peacocking" or dressing outlandishly to attract attention -- the idea that any attention was good attention.

A lot of these are totally obsolete and most women are wise to these tactics.

However, the core concepts of DHV (demonstrate higher value) and pre-selection are still fundamental in pickup -- however, these have evolved into "natural game" which is a more authentic adoption of mindsets and behaviors, rather than simply performing a canned routine.

redskinsfan92

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Entertaining, but dated. Peacocking needs to be more subtle now.

rjc149

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Peacocking should be limited to maybe an accessory or two (understated necklace or bracelet). If that. I’ve never felt the need to wear jewelry.

Be in shape and dress in stylish, fitted clothing. Can’t go wrong, and appeals to a broad audience of women. Wearing mascara and mesh tank tops may work in certain edgier venues in LA or NYC with very young girls, anywhere else, 95% of that attention will be derisive and mocking. Not good for social proof.

rjc149

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
N7-MPql4dt_LAD2YGt5NlTkpownZks9SZjyXqrfIaJI.jpg
The idea here is two-fold. First, that you're going to be the center of attention anywhere you go, and thus have curious women opening you rather than approaching. Second, reactions from women will be polarized -- very positive or very negative, both of which are better than neutral or indifferent.

However, in most venues, that negative reaction is mockery and derision at worst, or at best, being a joke. Your social status will thus be low in most cases. Putting 90% of women off at your appearance is just bad game.

zinc4

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
View attachment 5493
The idea here is two-fold. First, that you're going to be the center of attention anywhere you go, and thus have curious women opening you rather than approaching. Second, reactions from women will be polarized -- very positive or very negative, both of which are better than neutral or indifferent.

However, in most venues, that negative reaction is mockery and derision at worst, or at best, being a joke. Your social status will thus be low in most cases. Putting 90% of women off at your appearance is just bad game.

Lmao...i don't care if they were getting lots of women. These guys are straight clowns hahaha. The guy in the purple looks like a man having a mid life crisis and coming out of the closet at the same time.

Picking up seemed so much better back in these days though.

Tilex

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I was never a fan of his writing style.
I couldn't read more than one chapter of his constant blabbering.
His book is more about storytelling and personal field reports than it is about giving advice.
I could never relate to him whatsoever.

The Mystery Method is a much better book overall in comparison.

ubercat

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
The whole thing was mainly about marketing. Not a manual. But credit due it was one of the roots of the red pill. How the book ends is a stern warning about building your life around women - they r only the cherry on top. We re much better fishermen now but the good fish are sparse and much wilier. Modified mystery method is still a thing in Europe.

Ricky

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I talked to Neil Strauss and met Mystery at that time when. It was great. Will write a bit more about it later

DEEZEDBRAH

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
What are your thoughts on the game by neil strauss?
Is it a good read or it is just not worth it?
Good story. Fiction. Strauss is a good writer but a snake oil salesman.

It introduced me to mystery and the MM. Rsd and I went down the rabbit whole. In 2021, you are a decade too late. It motivated me to approach and learn game.

A new insight into game, I acknowledge that game has been beat to death. What rose is there? the game changes and with it as do the culture. It's cucked. Find game on YouTube. It's dead and I can see red pull next. The newest insight into game is to learn from the past . learn about mystery method . acquire the basics and apply infield. learn from the OGS.

To answer your Q. Read it. Strauss is a snake salesman who is on his way to divorce rape last I heard. It's useful as a intro to pickup but not much for application. It shows that the majority of pua is purple pill at best.

DEEZEDBRAH

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I talked to Neil Strauss and met Mystery at that time when. It was great. Will write a bit more about it later
Please do. I hear mystery looks deezd irl. Not skeletor like as scene in the pics or vids.