Tax lein properties

e-lie

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
:D Does anyone know about tax lein properties?

Docs

Banned
Reaction score
Yeah. The property is repossessed by the bank or the big G when taxes/mortgage isn't paid. Depending on how much is owed, how the loans are set up, it can be a bargain, a loss, or a hassle.

Leins are essentially what a bank does. You borrow money from the bank for the property, the bank has a lein again'st your property where if you fail to pay enough times, they can seize the property.

e-lie

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
any good real estate conferences that u recommend?I heard A.I.G ig good and russ whitney.

Page

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Docs said:
Yeah. The property is repossessed by the bank or the big G when taxes/mortgage isn't paid. Depending on how much is owed, how the loans are set up, it can be a bargain, a loss, or a hassle.

Leins are essentially what a bank does. You borrow money from the bank for the property, the bank has a lein again'st your property where if you fail to pay enough times, they can seize the property.

No.

Tax liens are different.

When you don't pay your property tax, you get a tax lien slapped on your property. This is not a bank lien, this is a government lien.

I can come along and buy the tax lien (usually at auction for pennies on the dollar) , pay off the back taxes. The property then enters a redemption period and after a few months one of 2 things can happen:

1. I can foreclose on you at the end of the redemption period. The property becomes mine, free and clear. Any mortgages are wiped out as a result of the lien, (State debts trump other creditors, so the banks take a loss in this situation) so I can keep the property or resell it at full market value.

2. you can redeem the lien by paying what you owe during the redemption period.. In such a scenario, you keep the property and i get my deposit back with interest. (the rate varies by state but it can be as high as 50% like it is in Texas)

Docs

Banned
Reaction score
I have it sending me the weekly properties. There's 17 in Toronto right now. I'm still confused on the matter though

Page

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Docs said:
Enlighten us more :)
-Any difference between our two countries?
probably, but I don't know how it is in other countries.

I recommend getting a few books and reading up on it. Some seminars (From companies such as Income Strategies Institute) also teach this, but seminars that teach anything worthwhile instead of just teaser info can be very expensive (a few thousand $$$, easily). Similar info can be found in books for a lot less.

Bible_Belt

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I'd recommend that you go to your local courthouse or government building and ask the employees. Also, real estate auctions are great places to meet investors who are usually very open about teaching the basics to new people.

e-lie

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Anyone know of any forums like this one?:rockon:

Reaction score
A lien on the property is an amount that is owed to someone - for whatever reason - it could be court ordered - must pay before you sell your property or the new owner is responsible! This is why you get a "title check" before you buy the property to determine if the property is cleared of any debts.

blackbirdbeatle

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Ya my dad has a few leins on some houses/acreages. They didn't pay a large sum to his business, he got a court order, interest piled up and now they basically might as well just give him thier house. They also went on many vacations and bought skijets and such in the meantime so it's not like they couldn't pay.