Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Tarver/Jones

tristan22

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I didn't get a chance to catch the fight, but i just read that Tarver won! I hate Roy Jones JR. and i hope to god this is the nail in the coffin for him! The guy has a speech impediment, yet HBO makes his dumb a$$ a boxing analyst--it's just painful listening to him speak!

So how was the fight for those who tuned in?

Levex

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
It was 50 bucks to watch on pay-per-view, so i went to a bar that was showing it and watched it for free. Jones was acting like a ****y prick and got his ass beat. I'd say it was obvious by 8th round who the winner would be, although both landed some good shots in later rounds.

CLOONEY

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I was actually surprised, Roy hurt Tarver at one point.

Other than that, Roy looked unfit, old, and just couldnt do anything with Tarvers style. I think a prime Roy would beat him, but Tarver would always give him trouble with his big left, rangy style.

Roy was frustrating and disappointing to watch. Dont think his ego will let him retire, but I hope he does! He was nearly stopped in the 11th I think. Tarver has some hard fights in that division still to go, so he definately has his work cut out for him!

Bradshaw

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by CLOONEY
I think a prime Roy would beat him
Clooney, I will agree with you on that. I think that despite the fact that they are both the same age, RJJ aged quicker.

It is amazing how some athletes are finished in their early 30's, while others are still competitive into their 40's.

CLOONEY

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Yeah, nature I guess. Although not many boxers are that competive into their 40s. Infact practically none! Archie Moore and George Foreman (although Foreman was being beat up by Moorer, only that Moorer couldnt take the best of punches and Foreman was far bigger). BHOP is also finished, he is loosing to a green Taylor, Tarver would crush BHOP if they were to fight.

Tarver will not last that much longer, a couple more years, although there is some tough competition, if he steps up, I dont see him reigning for that long! Eric Harding showed for 16 rounds why Antonio Tarver is not that special! He is definately good, but not a great like he claims! All he beat is some old guys, Johnson who is not that good (he could hardly beat Clinton Woods) and an old Roy.

Roy seems way past it, just no fitness or anything left. Tarver gave him a clinic which was sad to watch the other night!

Reyaj

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Clooney how weird was it after seeing Roy Jones be so dominant in the sport for years and years go out like that?

I mean if this is the same Roy Jones I remember, he was just sick! Nobody could handle him! He was quick, accruate and punches like a razor blade. He basically had a gift that made him superior to anyone we've seen.

This guy beat the likes of Bernard Hopkins (a young Hopkins also), James Toney (totally handled him like no one ever has) along with Harding and Montell Griffin.

In the end it just seemed like Roy didn't have punching power. You are right that Roy hurt Tarver but he just didn't have the heart to go for it all.

I hope we don't see something similar from oscar when he fights next year.

These guys are just so rich that how can that heart still be there? I'm sure they think about getting hurt and don't go for it all.

Guys taht are warriors are

Diego Corrales, Jose Luis Castillo, Kid Diamond (what a surpring fight right) and Erik Morales. These guys seem like you'd have to kill them before they lie down.

CLOONEY

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by Jayer
Clooney how weird was it after seeing Roy Jones be so dominant in the sport for years and years go out like that?

I mean if this is the same Roy Jones I remember, he was just sick! Nobody could handle him! He was quick, accruate and punches like a razor blade. He basically had a gift that made him superior to anyone we've seen.

This guy beat the likes of Bernard Hopkins (a young Hopkins also), James Toney (totally handled him like no one ever has) along with Harding and Montell Griffin.

In the end it just seemed like Roy didn't have punching power. You are right that Roy hurt Tarver but he just didn't have the heart to go for it all.

I hope we don't see something similar from oscar when he fights next year.

These guys are just so rich that how can that heart still be there? I'm sure they think about getting hurt and don't go for it all.

Guys taht are warriors are

Diego Corrales, Jose Luis Castillo, Kid Diamond (what a surpring fight right) and Erik Morales. These guys seem like you'd have to kill them before they lie down.
Yeah it is sad to see Roy like that. Not just the punching power, he just didnt have the punch output, that was the problem. He didnt move as much, he just laid on the ropes.

Roy was untouchable in his prime, although I think it was at super-middle, NOT light-heavy. The way he handled JT was awesome, but then again, that was definately not a prime JT. Toney seemed very fatigued that night and was not at the top of his game. BHOP was a great win, BHOP was green, but had his same mauling, pressuring style, and Roy was getting tired by the end. I definately think that was Roys best win of his career. He has some other great ones, Ruiz (even though he is a bum heavy, it is still a good beat), Griffin, Harding, Hill etc. But he also does have a lot of bums.

All in all, Roy is the most athletic boxers I have ever seen, and up there with Jordan, possibly the most athletic athlete I have ever seen. He just got away with all the unorthadox **** he did because of his speed and fitness. Hope he does retire. Oscar could be the same also, it would be hard after already establishing a great legacy and earning millions to really truly still have the passion for the game.

CLOONEY

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
As for true warriors, there have been many in the sport.

I would have to put LaMotta by himself (that beating he took from Robinson on the Valentines Day massacre was brutal). He also took a lot of punishment in other fights as he had too, it was his style, and he didnt have a big punch to just put a lot of the easier guys out early!

Other great warriors, Sugar Ray Robinson, Ali, Hagler, Argullo, Sanchez, man there are just so many more, but thats just a few of them.

Current guys, yeah Castillo, Coralles, Morales, Mayorga, BHOP.

CLOONEY

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by Jayer
BHOP? isn't this the same guy that Jermain Taylor says is scared to get hit? I have never seen BHOP in a brutal war.
BHOP scared to get hit, LOL. He stood infront and punished Tito for 12 rounds, something nobody dared to do before that.

Watch BHOP V Echols (in his prime), if that is not a display of ability to take brutal punches, I have never seen one before.

BHOP doesnt stick his chin out there, and is far better technically than guys like Coralles, but he has a far better chin and is definately not afraid to get hit! That is simply a young ****y Jermaine trying to hype it up and play mind games. BHOP in his prime would have ripped Jermaine a new azz (and I dont even like BHOP)!

GSXR RiDeR

Don Juan
Reaction score
Hey CLOONEY you seem to be right into boxing like myself, do you post on any boxing forums?
Originally posted by CLOONEY

Roy was untouchable in his prime, although I think it was at super-middle, NOT light-heavy. The way he handled JT was awesome, but then again, that was definately not a prime JT. Toney seemed very fatigued that night and was not at the top of his game.

Yeah Roy was as close to untouchable as it gets in boxing when he was in his prime. I think his best years were middle and super-middle for sure and his fight against Toney proves how good he was back then. I believe JT was in his prime when he came up against Roy but he choose to come into that fight unfocused, out of shape and he paid for it. It doesnt really matter because Roy was too good for any version of JT on that particular night.

BHOP was a great win, BHOP was green, but had his same mauling, pressuring style, and Roy was getting tired by the end. I definately think that was Roys best win of his career.

BHOP is probably the biggest scalp on Roy's record, as far as his legacy goes anyway. BHOP was green when he fought Roy but remember Roy only had about the same amount of pro bouts as BHOP when they fought.

He has some other great ones, Ruiz (even though he is a bum heavy, it is still a good beat), Griffin, Harding, Hill etc. But he also does have a lot of bums.

Beating Ruiz was good because it made Roy the only Middleweight champ in the last 100 years to move up and become Heavyweight champ, the last person to do it before that was Bob Fitzsimmons i think.

GSXR RiDeR

Don Juan
Reaction score
As far as warriors go you cant look past Corrales and Castillo, if you got a chance to watch there fight you will know what im talking bout. There are so many to list but a few that havnt been mentioned yet Arturo Gatti, Micky Ward, Evander Holyfield, Fernando Vargas, Manny Pacquiao, Ricardo Mayorga.

CLOONEY

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I would not call Paq a great warrrior. Vargas definately is, but lacks the all-time great chin! If you are just talking about great warriors, there are hundreds of thousands, I am talking guys who also have great great chins! Like yes, Gatti and especially Ward! That guy is made of nails! As far as the Coralles fight, yeah it was awesome, who you think will win the one this week? I picked Castillo last time, and I will pick him again this time! Coralles was, afterall, only a second away from being stopped himself, but you can never write off a guy with that punching power and the heart of a lion!

JT was in his prime, I agree, however I said it was not a prime JT. Difference. He was overweight, not in shape and definately not on his game that night. He would have been a lot harder to beat on his game, but I agree, Roy would have won!

BHOP did have a couple more pro fights when they fought, but Jones was definately the far supperior when it came to experience! Jones was one of the great amateurs of all-time, easily winning in soul, too bad for the biased judges! He was however, poorly compensated with the "best boxer of the tournament award", funny how you can win that without winning the gold!

Beating Ruiz was the 2nd time it was done in history, but then again, throughout most of boxing history, there was only one universal heavy champ, not 3! And there is no way Ruiz would be the universal champ! Lewis would have handed it over to Klit and he would have held it since if that were the case! JT also prooved how easy Ruiz is to beat, and if that was JT on steriods, it was a disgraceful effort! I am sure his drugs were not performance enhancing, he put on an even more impressive heavy performance in his last outing! JT is awesome to watch because he is a throwback from another era! Awesome ability to slip and role with punches, and a granite chin!

I used to post on secondsout.com (best boxing forum I was a part of, before they shut it). Also on boxinginsider for a tiny while, and Boxingtalk.com for years! However, I dont like forums on boxing sites, it just seems to be continual flaming and hard to get a proper debate going!

Good to see another boxing fan!

Reaction score
Random boxing thoughts...
-I'll give Roy Jones Jr. credit for going the distance. Roy boxed him, but Tarver was clearly the better fighter.
-I'd love to see Fernando Vargas and Ricardo Mayorga in the ring. Should be a slugfest.
-Winky Wright is underated. With wins over Shane Mosley (twice), and destroyed Trinidad. He is easily a top 5 (pound-for-pound).
-Oscar De La Hoya where are you? Stop with your working vocals and put on boxing gloves, please.
-Manny Pacquiao vs. Erik Morales (Jan. 21st). I predict Pac-Man wins this one by clean decision.

CLOONEY

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by TheRenegadesOfFunk
Random boxing thoughts...
-I'll give Roy Jones Jr. credit for going the distance. Roy boxed him, but Tarver was clearly the better fighter.
-I'd love to see Fernando Vargas and Ricardo Mayorga in the ring. Should be a slugfest.
-Winky Wright is underated. With wins over Shane Mosley (twice), and destroyed Trinidad. He is easily a top 5 (pound-for-pound).
-Oscar De La Hoya where are you? Stop with your working vocals and put on boxing gloves, please.
-Manny Pacquiao vs. Erik Morales (Jan. 21st). I predict Pac-Man wins this one by clean decision.
Roy was a disgrace for trying to go the distance and not win!

Vargas V Mosley is shaping up, Mosley will go close to stopping him! Vargas is finished! I love the guy, but see his last outing?

Winky Wright IS rated top 5 P4P on nearly every single boxing list! P4P of all-time, nowhere close, lucky if he makes the top 100!

DLH has his hands very busy with promotional work! His company will probably be the biggest ever seen in boxing by the time its finished! Even bigger than DKP!

Morales will beat Pac again! Pac cant box, simple as that.

Reaction score
-I didn’t expect RJJ to last 6 rounds, let alone go the distance.
Like I said- I’ll give RJJ credit for LASTING 12 rounds and to REMAIN CONSIOUS for at least 6 rounds (unlike his last 2 outings). All that "training like the Jones of the early 90s" certainly did not show.

-Winky Wright is underrated due to the fact that guys like Ricardo Mayorga (a weaker, one-dimensional power puncher) gets more publicity. You'd think WW would have a higher profile by now. Currently he is a top 5 P4P boxer (not All-time).

-Lack of desire, lost of motivation, and no killer instinct- Maybe.
Busy taking care of business- Weak Excuse.
DLH is a successful businessman, but I can’t say the same about his later years of his boxing career. DLH will be remembered as never winning the ‘big fights’ (Trinidad, Mosley 2x, Hopkins).

-In his last fight, Erik Morales was beaten by Zahir Raheem. Ugly performance by Morales as Raheem dominated most of the fight. Meanwhile, Manny Pacquiao easily defeats Hector Velazquez.
After so many wars (ex. Barrera fight), Morales is simply too exhausted. Pacquiao is the more powerful puncher and also the quicker fighter. I wouldn’t be surprised is Pac wins by stoppage.

tristan22

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I hope HBO doesn't hire ol' Roy to be a boxing analyst. He spends 50% stuttering and the other 50% chastising the Klitschko brothers.

Reyaj

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Clooney Ive never seen the Echols Hopkins fight so you may be right. I can however see Jermain Taylor's point. I've never really seen Bernard slug it out with a powerhouse. You mention the Tito example, but the way I saw that fight was that Bernard Hopkins broke him down by simply out boxing him. He would land a few shots at a time, simply breaking Tito down until the end.

Bernard is a great boxer though, that I can definitely say.

My opinion on Roy's performance wasn't high either. He is just washed up.

GSXR RiDeR

Don Juan
Reaction score
CLOONEY i picked Corrales the first time and im picking him again. I think it will be a war again and wouldnt be surprised if Castillo won got the better of him this time but im still gonna go with Corrales.

GSXR RiDeR

Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by TheRenegadesOfFunk

DLH is a successful businessman, but I can’t say the same about his later years of his boxing career. DLH will be remembered as never winning the ‘big fights’ (Trinidad, Mosley 2x, Hopkins).
I admit DLH hasnt been the same fighter he once was for a few years now but you cant say he hasnt won the "big fights". You would be struggling to find a fighter in the same era as DLH with a record as impressive as his. He was robbed in the second Mosley fight and in the Trinidad fight.