swimming to get lean

CharmaLeo

Don Juan
Reaction score
I mean to get lean and not necessarily bulky.

Does anybody know about a simple workout program in a 50 meter pool x 45 minutes?

I appreciate any responses.

hcaz074

Don Juan
Reaction score
I dont know about you but most people tend to swim in pools. So i would say swimming laps would be good.

Duke Togo

Don Juan
Reaction score
get lean = consume less calories then you burn
get fat = consume more calories then you burn

cardio is an aid in burning calories to get "lean" and if you choose swimming as your cardio then do around 30-45 minutes of swimming laps at a moderate intensity.

smooth666

Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by CharmaLeo
I mean to get lean and not necessarily bulky.

Does anybody know about a simple workout program in a 50 meter pool x 45 minutes?

I appreciate any responses.
How much so you weigh?

I have been swimming for years (1-2 hours per day). I rather gained weight because there are few activities that make you more hungry. After I got out of the pool I used to eat really much. IF you have enough discipline (eating little) swimming is good. Personally I would recommend running (1-2 hours per day) because it makes (at least me) less hungry.

Alpine

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
The good thing about swimming is you can do hard interval work and have quick recovery and little chance of injury.

According to a lot of knowledgable people here it's recommended over endurance work because you burn calories yet maintain/improve musle mass.

5 min warm up

10min easy up, fast down

15min 50m sprints with 1min rest

10 min start easy, build up pace, push hard last 100m

5 min cooldown

Don't increase the total time.

Mix up the strokes, for instance up easy breastroke, fast crawl back.

Train 3-4 times a week like this and lower your base cals by 200/300 and see how your body changes, make adjustments there on in.

Don't do this first time round but in the future you can try first thing training on an empty stomach and black coffee.

Allegedly the muscle is not broken down, yet fat stores are utilised more. Not all have the balls for this though.

CharmaLeo

Don Juan
Reaction score
Thank you all for all the responses.

I'm 5'10 and 190 lbs. I used to swim a few years ago and I was 175lbs.

Of course I felt lighter and great. Although I did not have a specific routine and just increased my endurance up to 45 min.

I plan on starting again in Jan and I think I have a good plan thanks to your responses.