Swimming is the ultimate cardio...

Flabbergasped?

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Swimming is probably the only cardio activity that ALSO gives good resistance training. If you swim at a competitive pace, with all four strokes, the water resistance will strengthen your lats, delts, and the traditional arm muscles (especially the butterfly stroke). And of course, it trains your legs and gets your heart pumping, on top of helping cut out body fat.

I've swimming 40 laps a day in my small neighborhood pool (it's about 20-25 meters across, so that makes a good 1km of swimming) for about three weeks, trying to avoid skipping as much as possible, and the results are amazing. I have abs without even doing crunches, since butterfly requires abdominal strength for the humping motion!

Teflon_Mcgee

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
This is very true.
I went through a combat swimming school a few years back and after two months of being in the pool/ocean for 12+ hours a day I was in the best shape of my life. My physique was great. Huge shoulders and lats.

If I had to choose one workout for the rest of my life it would be swimming.

Interesting fact: The cooler the water you swim in the more calories you are likely to consume in the following hours.

Shiftkey

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I agree that it's an awesome form of cardio (and you can add that it's no impact to your list). But really the best cardio is the cardio that the individual finds fun. For me that's kickboxing/martial arts, for some that's riding or cycling.

typical

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
You mean freestyle right ?? and dont worry about what them others dudes are doing you just keep trying to push out another 100m or so each time and you'll be sweet :)

hmmmmmmmmm summer round the corner time to hit the tan salon and pool w00t :)

Penguinplayer

Don Juan
Reaction score
Sounds good, though I found the Gymnastics to do essential the same as here. I hadn't been so fit or so strong in all my life. I regret giving up, but now I'm gonna pop down to the pool!

Doddy

Don Juan
Reaction score
My intention is not to impune your findings dude. Swimming is awesome fun and brilliant exercise, cardio-vascular is any sort of excercise that gets your heart beating and your sweat dripping. I found dancing to be an incredible cardio-vascular exercise! in my humble opinion.
But its what you find most comfortable. Heck, if sitting on your arse, playing computer games all day and having a w*nk got your heart racing like a b*stard I'd recommend THAT (but sadly dreams don't always come true LOL)
Joking aside, just get your blood pumping!!

Reaction score
When I used to take competative swimming lessons every tues, wed, thur and friday I swam about 2 Km. My coach would do different kind of routines everyweek! I totally agree with the thread SWIMMING IS THE BEST CARDIO! because you use your WHOLE BODY and it doesn't put pressure on your joints so you can't get injured easily. Swimming helped me get high metabolism and 12% bodyfat :D bad knews is... since moving I haven't found a good place to swim damn I really miss swimming!

escobar04

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
word

I started swimming in April and was about 10% Bodyfat and by the end of May I dropped to like 5%

Swimming is awesome, I had abs and everything showing

blabla

Don Juan
Reaction score
So if you get cramps & weak after pushing yourself a bit, is that from pushing yourself too hard and your actually doing the Right Thing(tm) or is it from improper form? I'm also a pretty slow ass swimmer too. Suggestions?