"You'll Never Feel READY to Walk Over"

Next Monday you'll feel more confident. After the gym you'll feel more confident. After one more drink you'll feel more confident. After you get a better haircut, a better jacket, a better job.

You've been "getting ready" for two years.

She's standing ten feet away right now. She'll be gone in four minutes. No amount of preparation will manufacture the courage that only comes from moving your feet.

Walk over. Stumble through the first sentence. Let it be clumsy. Let it be imperfect. You will feel more alive in those ten seconds than you have all month.

Read more...

stuttering

iCY

Don Juan
Joined
Oct 3, 2004
Messages
84
Reaction score
0
Location
NYC!!!
stuttering when talking is not just something that effects us all every now and then.
for some its a disease, that has affected their lives for years. youve prolly seen someone like this

it makes approaching very difficult and conversations very difficult. Its not just a matter of getting nervous during an approach. You stutter when ur doing anything, talking in class, placing an order, on the fone with tech support or something. just wondering if any one else here suffers from this and what you do to help fix it

what has worked for me so far is slowing down everything i do, breathing slower, talking slower, and moving slower.
 

"She Wants a Man, Not a Boy"

You asked her if she wanted to grab coffee. Then you asked if the time worked. Then you asked if the place was okay. Then you asked if she'd prefer tea.

Four questions. Four chances for her to say no. Four signals that you're terrified of making a decision.

Plan it. Pick the place. Pick the time. Tell her where to meet you. She'll either show up or she won't.

Either way, you look like a man instead of a scared little boy.

Read more...

tactic

Master Don Juan
Joined
Nov 23, 2003
Messages
1,322
Reaction score
1
Age
39
stuttering occurs because you think to fast

which means you're smart inside but you don't seem like it on the outside.

or stuttering is just a habit or because you want to say so much and you're nervous.
 

DJ_Dork

Master Don Juan
Joined
Jun 29, 2003
Messages
1,178
Reaction score
0
Age
48
I stutter occasionally, but the above poster is right. Your thinking process is fast so when you talk you try to talk as fast as you think. Now I use a 3 second rule to wait till the speaker finishes before I speak.
 

blue17

Senior Don Juan
Joined
Aug 5, 2004
Messages
203
Reaction score
0
I used to stutter a lot more than I do now. Basically just 'taking it easy'....or forcing yourself to slow down helps out a lot.
 

ScrewIt

Master Don Juan
Joined
Feb 11, 2004
Messages
1,769
Reaction score
2
Originally posted by tactic
stuttering occurs because you think to fast

which means you're smart inside but you don't seem like it on the outside.

or stuttering is just a habit or because you want to say so much and you're nervous.
very true.

every now and then i stutter when talking (it appears as if im mumbling), sometimes it's due to nervousness, sometimes it's just a bad habit.

my boss yesterday asked me to answer any incoming phone calls in the office (the secretary was out sick) the first few calls i stuttered. but after i got the hang of it, i was smooth sailing and confident. this was due to nervousness on the phone.

If stuttering is due to your nervousness, all i can say is practice makes perfect.
 

"Stop Asking Your Friends What to Text Her"

Your buddy Dave has been single for three years and thinks "hey u up" is a valid strategy. Your other buddy Mike just got dumped and told you to "just be yourself."

You showed them her text. You asked them to decode the emoji. You drafted four responses and sent the screenshot to the group chat for a vote.

She's been waiting forty minutes.

Put the phone down. Stop crowdsourcing your love life. Type something that sounds like you. Hit send. Then go do literally anything else with your evening.

Read more...

thebsharp

Don Juan
Joined
Sep 10, 2004
Messages
137
Reaction score
0
3 second is IMO too long, you come off like a dork that have to think hard about what to say.
 

Eighth Passenger

Don Juan
Joined
Aug 29, 2004
Messages
60
Reaction score
0
I stutter but it's not like "th...th...the...bo...boy". Sometimes I have words on the tip of my tongue but they don't want to come out. I usually slow down which helps.
 

PocoDiablo

Don Juan
Joined
Oct 28, 2004
Messages
69
Reaction score
0
This may be totally wrong, but this is what I have noticed: When I am with someone who is stuttering, it makes me stutter as well. Go figure!

It's almost a form of subtle passive-agressive control IMO.

I have found that when I meet someone who stutters, if I can just talk normally to them, they quickly get over it. I know that's obvious, because they gain confidence, but it just seems odd. The last guy I met who stuttered, a few weeks ago, was really bad on the phone. But JUST on the phone. In person he did not stutter once. Then when he called back, he stuttered again!

Maybe it was just my cell phone. ;)
 

Valdez

Don Juan
Joined
Jul 27, 2004
Messages
105
Reaction score
0
Age
42
Location
San Antonio
Actually, for people who are chronic stutterers, the problem lies more in the improper sychronization of the vocal chords and muscles in the mouth. I myself have stuttered ever since I could talk and have done quite some research on the subject. Now I do not stutter in the sense of Hi I'm B-b-b-brian...its more like...Hi I'm...Brian, basically pauses mid sentence or before I talk. I don't really have much time to comment about it right now, but some good sites to go to would be stuttering.org or hcri.com.

Slowing down and taking deep breaths are in fact good ways to lessen the severety of stuttering, but severe stutterers need to basically relearn how to talk in order to effectively communicate. Luckily I don't stutter bad and I'm pretty decent looking. The thing is though, on my good days, you won't find a more confident talker than me.
 

“The 22 Rules That Flip the Script With Women… And How You Can Use Them Tonight”

Most guys accidentally kill attraction before they even speak. They assume they need a bigger bank account, a better physique, or smoother lines. They miss the point.

Female desire operates on a specific set of psychological triggers.  Break them, and you're invisible. Follow them, and you become magnetic.

I learned this the hard way. Years of freezing up. Getting friend-zoned. Watching other guys walk away with the girl I wanted. Then I discovered a set of 22 simple rules that rewired my entire approach.

Read more...

DeathDealer

Master Don Juan
Joined
Nov 3, 2004
Messages
640
Reaction score
0
Originally posted by thebsharp
3 second is IMO too long, you come off like a dork that have to think hard about what to say.
Bush sounded like a dork during the debates cause he didn't pause and answered back coherently like Kerry. But then again the bible belt only cares about protecting their agenda than having a real leader.
 
Top