Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

studying psychology but have some doubts.

pipe007

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
hey guys, this is my second year studying to be a psychologist, i am about to graduate from college and start university. however, lately i've been thinking if that is really something i want to do.

i mean i like the career and the idea of helping others, but is it gonna give me enough money to live comfortably? i can become a good psychologist but i wanna know if you guys are studying the same or know people who work as psychologists and if they are making good money

i was also planing on changing to nursing, which is pretty quick 2 1/2 more years at most and you start with 28 dollars an hour, but still i really want some guidance on this and to see if studying psychology with masters and all that will benefit me in the long run
id appreciate the feedback thanx.

ER!C L!VE

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
You can go into sales with a psychology degree and do well - depending on what you sell. Real estate, mortgages, industrial sales, software, etc.

Phoenix_of_the_ashes

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
The way I see it, if your studying a science you should enjoy is, otherwise search for something else.

Remember that the job you do for the rest of your life also adds or subtracts from your life quality, so dont ditch something you like for something that just pays better.

And also, there are people getting good money out of any field, you just have to be good enough.

C00L

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
i would never be a psychologist...they have a high suicide rate. imagine all the negativity you must be around all day everyday....

doctoroxygen

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I'm getting a degree in psychology. Psychology isn't something you can make a lot of money in, unless you're a clinical with your own practice, in which case $$$. Otherwise, do it for the love of the "science".

As for me, I'm totally burnt out on it. I used to enjoy it a lot, but after working in a lab for awhile, I am tired of it.

psychgrad

Don Juan
Reaction score
I am a psychology major and I am changing to get my masters in physical therapy instead of pursuing psych. Psych makes at most with a masters 40-50K. depending on experience. I just do not think that 7 years of school is worth making only 40-50k.

Francisco d'Anconia

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
You guys are thinking too small. First and foremost, you need a PhD to make the good money. Second, you need to go to work in the private sector to make good money. Third, you need to write a book about something.

Think I'm wrong? Think about the "good 'ol boy" Dr. Phil. This is exactly what he did. Everyone thinks Oprah made him, he was a multi-millionaire before he met Oprah because he owned his own business in the private sector.

doctoroxygen

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
A PhD is a terrible way to get good money. A PhD is good if you're interested in your work rather than money. If you want money, go into business.

Francisco d'Anconia

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by doctoroxygen
A PhD is a terrible way to get good money. A PhD is good if you're interested in your work rather than money. If you want money, go into business.
I take it that you have a PhD and speak from experience, right?

oakraiderz2

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Business is a rather broad topic bud, try to narrow it down.

doctoroxygen

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by Francisco d'Anconia
I take it that you have a PhD and speak from experience, right?
Because one can only know from experience, right?

I can't think of a career that requires a PhD that leads to a lot of money. College professor? Physicist? Philosopher? PhDs are for academics, and academia alone is not where money is.

Francisco d'Anconia

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Because one can only know from experience, right?

I can't think of a career that requires a PhD that leads to a lot of money. College professor? Physicist? Philosopher? PhDs are for academics, and academia alone is not where money is.
Did you even read what I originally posted? Hopefully this isn't an example of what a business degree gets you nowadays...

doctoroxygen

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by Francisco d'Anconia
You guys are thinking too small. First and foremost, you need a PhD to make the good money. Second, you need to go to work in the private sector to make good money. Third, you need to write a book about something.
Maybe I'm confused. Do you mean that, to make good money, you need a PhD, or to make good money in PSYCHOLOGY you need a PhD? Either way, it's not true. You don't need a PhD to be a clinical psychologist, and that's where the money is in psychology. IO psychologists make decent money, but not like clinicals. Psychologists employed by universities make relatively little money. Psychologists aren't really employed elsewhere.

You're right about writing books to make money, though. Most well-to-do professors at my school are where they are because of the basic level texts they authored that are used around the country.

I'm actually a psychology major, not business. So I won't be making any money either way.

diplomatic_lies

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
What if you get a PhD in psychology and work for the FBI in the violent crimes division?

The money is good, and you get a sh!tload of benefits. Its also a great conversation icebreaker.

"So what do you do?"
"I hunt serial killers."

pipe007

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
thanx for your relplys guys, ive been thinking about it and if psychology is the field i like i think i should go for it all the way with masters and phd,

sincmaster, u say u are a psychologist, what exactly you do as a psychologist? and yea my dream is to do somthing like tony robins and have people pay to listen to me speak in semminars do you guys think that is possible/?

thanx