Strengthening my Vertical

REd-xL

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
One of my goals by the end of summer is to dunk with two hands. I can grab and hold onto rim right now (vert = about 24"), but nothing I do in the weight room seems to help my cause. I do 3 sets of calf-raises on a staircase with a 45-lb bell until it burns so much that the muscle becomes numb (around 50 reps).

How should I change my calf exercise to get maximum efficiency, and what other exercises out there are best suited for drastically improving my vertical?

Rx

bigforearms

Don Juan
Reaction score
Jump squats are excellent for improving your vertical and sprinting ability.

Squats are good too if you're concerned about leaving the ground with weight on your back.

2N Turbo

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Can you dunk with one hand?

If not, then I would work on doing that. Plus how are you jumping? If your dunkin with your right hand, then when you go up for it. Swing your right knee up like you going to knee someone in the nutts. Push off the floor with you left foot. Stretch that right arm up and slam it. You probably are aready doing that but I have seen some people just try to jump from two feet from under the rim, so I thought I was just restate that.

Also with the calve routine, mix it up with some heavy weight, low reps. Use weight you can only do 6-8 reps with, see what works for you. I have done both, and find that my calves, however stubborn they are, grow when I use heavy weight opposed to light weight. Dont forget the squats, because they OWN. Listen to Metallica's Master of Puppets when doing them. :D

REd-xL

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Metallica? Nooooo, it's alllllll about Smashing Pumpkins, The Appleseed Cast, Radiohead, and The Gloria Record. (Haha, if we get into a discussion on music, that's a whole nother thread.)

As far as squats go, my shoulders go through hell with anything more than 225 lbs. I use a towel to pad the bar, but there's still something that makes my spine feel like sh!t when I squat with too heavy a weight. Any remedies for that (there's no custom padding for the bar either, and I'm not gonna buy one)?

Rx

bigforearms

Don Juan
Reaction score
If you don't have a serious back or shoulder problem, that discomfort you feel is probably just you being unused to having heavy weight on your shoulders. Everyone goes through it. Just keep doing them (without the *****-pad) and you'll get used to it. By the way, for regular squats, the bar should be in the "crease" formed by the top of your rear delts and your traps. Also, be sure you're using the correct form.

Doing jump squats won't require a lot of weight anyway, so it shouldn't hurt your back much.

One on One

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Yo, listen up man. I was in your shoes six months ago. I was really close to dunking and could sometimes throw down sloppy one handed dunks so I decided I was going to try something. I was tired of those 8 week gimmick programs that claim to increase your vert. I just decided I would do 200 calf raises each night before I go to bed. I was consistent and did them every day. I slowly increased the amount to 300 per night. You can really feel the burn.

Anyways, the results? I probably gained 6-8 inches already and I'm still doing them just about every night. I can now do some nice dunks with two-hands and I get comments when I'm balling all the time. People are like, "I didn't know you could get up." Stuff like that makes you feel really good. I went into my program expecting nothing because all I was doing was calf raises. I figured there's no way I could gain so I wasn't going out there every day to see where I was then one day I was like OK I'm gonna see what I got and I started dunking. It was amazing.

Just today I am gonna start doing the same thing with lunges. I am doing 100 yards of lunges each morning with my running workouts. I figure since my calves are developed, I need to work on hamstrings to continue to improve my vert. With the incredible success I have had, I really think I will be doing through the legs dunks soon.

JohnElDonJuan

Don Juan
Reaction score
Is It possible for someone that is 5'6 to dunk? Even After doing the programs?

I ask this because I am doing the programs myself and im wondering if these 12 weeks will be a waste.

J-Man

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
im about your height too. sadly, we will never dunk. dont let anyone optomistic fool you.

One on One

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I actually do my calf raises off the ground so I don't go below 90 degrees, but it doesn't really matter. I only suggest you pick a routine using your body weight and stick with it. Consistency is what helped me, it wasn't the specific routine I did. But, if you are interested, the routine I did was simply doing calf raises off the ground with no props like you are going up and down on your tippie toes.

Ying

Reaction score
After you do your calf raises, if you do a lot at one time, stretch your calves out. I do calf raises before bed every night and used to get some really nasty pain the next morning till i started stretching. the best way to stretch calves btw is to get into a push up position and try to touch your heels to the ground.

Dee-Zy

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Do u do Leg Press?
Lunges with dumbells?
Legs extension?
Leg Curls?

If that don't work try Air alert program. When it starts kick'N in u are supposed to be able to gain one inch per week. I heard it really works - not just sum internet scam ****.

Dee-Zy

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by JohnElDonJuan
Is It possible for someone that is 5'6 to dunk? Even After doing the programs?

I ask this because I am doing the programs myself and im wondering if these 12 weeks will be a waste.
Spider Web won a dunk'N contest ... forgot how tall he was ... maybe 5'6 or 5'9???

jakethasnake

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by REd-xL
Metallica? Nooooo, it's alllllll about Smashing Pumpkins, The Appleseed Cast, Radiohead, and The Gloria Record. (Haha, if we get into a discussion on music, that's a whole nother thread.)

As far as squats go, my shoulders go through hell with anything more than 225 lbs. I use a towel to pad the bar, but there's still something that makes my spine feel like sh!t when I squat with too heavy a weight. Any remedies for that (there's no custom padding for the bar either, and I'm not gonna buy one)?

Rx

This is way off topic, but I dig your taste in music. SP and Radiohead rock! :cool:

bob2007

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by Dee-Zy
Spider Web won a dunk'N contest ... forgot how tall he was ... maybe 5'6 or 5'9???
spud web was 5'8

Dee-Zy

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by Dee-Zy
Do u do Leg Press?
Lunges with dumbells?
Legs extension?
Leg Curls?

If that don't work try Air alert program. When it starts kick'N in u are supposed to be able to gain one inch per week. I heard it really works - not just sum internet scam ****.
Oh and work those abs out - they are like 50% if not more of your jump.

madgame

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Somebody said that ud never be able to dunk at 5'6.and well Im feelin them (tho I m 6'3 and can dunk) but just think of that tiny dude called spud webb who does the craziest dunks ever..he was 5'7 or so...besides I heared Maxi Bogues dunked in a college game once and hes 5'3.....just think about it....Allen Iverson, Kobe Bryant, Vince Carter and so on ..they all got vertical of above 40 inches........If ure 5'6 ure 9 inches smaller than me...lets say with the lenght of the arms maybe 12 or so...now If u already got a pretty good vertical without working out and can increase it by 10 to 15 inches ud prolly be able to dunk. Still its pretty damn hard for a guy of 5'6 to get that far i guess...

madgame

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
ABS r 50% of more of your vertical? R U KIDDIN ME?!I mean they do play a role but 50% plus...yeah right

Dee-Zy

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I dunno - I forgot but abs are VERY important in jumps.

I forgot the source but it was reliable not some phony scam ****.

One on One

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
It is true that abs are very important in your vertical. They stabilize your mid-section, which is necessary to jump high. Also, I think lower abs work with the quads or hamstrings to propel you.