Staying friends with your ex

roman

Don Juan
Reaction score
What are you guys' feelings on staying friends with your ex GF? Good idea or bad idea?

The reason I ask is because I broke up with my GF this week. We had been going out for almost 11 months. Now there's talk of staying friends.

Here's the thing. I know I shouldn't be dating this girl because of her emotional baggage and intimacy issues, which is why I broke up with her in the first place, but there's still great sexual chemistry. The last time we broke up, we decided to hang out again as "just friends" and ended up hooking up and getting right back together.

For me it would be ideal to become friends with benefits, but that would be difficult to pull off considering the recency of our breakup and the fact that I was the one who broke up with her. Any thoughts on staying friends with the ex?

Roman

Slick101

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Stay friends with eX...

Its actually the best thing you can do if your in good terms with her...

Youll have preselection...
Pivot...
Shell introduce you to other girls...

She might even cook for you...

DO IT! Dont let this slide!

smooth guy

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
I'd say it depends on the situation. Sometimes no way in hell you can be friends with an ex, so why force it? You can't choose your relatives, but you can choose your friends.

kdnash82

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
The good part is, that until she finds another boyfriend, you're gonna be the guy she comes to for sex.

The bad part is, that when she finds another boyfriend, you're gonna be stuck jacking off because you're still caught up with your ex.

They're ex's for a reason. Leave it at that. Continue to mess around with her whenever you need to get your rocks off, but DO NOT stop gaming other women.

Gangster Of Love

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
roman said:
What are you guys' feelings on staying friends with your ex GF? Good idea or bad idea?

The reason I ask is because I broke up with my GF this week. We had been going out for almost 11 months. Now there's talk of staying friends.

Here's the thing. I know I shouldn't be dating this girl because of her emotional baggage and intimacy issues, which is why I broke up with her in the first place, but there's still great sexual chemistry. The last time we broke up, we decided to hang out again as "just friends" and ended up hooking up and getting right back together.

For me it would be ideal to become friends with benefits, but that would be difficult to pull off considering the recency of our breakup and the fact that I was the one who broke up with her. Any thoughts on staying friends with the ex?

Roman
For her it would also be ideal to become friends with benefits. That's the way chicks handle this type of stuff. They rather sleep with somebody they are already comfortable with, ideally an ex boyrfiend, than getting to bed with somebody new. It is a confort thing.

Just be prepared for her to end things when she finally finds somebody she want's to settle down with. You need to be prepared to let her go if and when needed. You can be true, real friends, if there is no sex going on at all, and only if that remains for months/years after you break up. Otherwise, you will need to cut off contact as soon as one of you settles down with somebody new.

Juan_Man

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
It's only a good idea to be friends with an ex if you know that you have other options for dating and/or relationships with other girls. If not, then it's better to cease and desist all contact with her.

KontrollerX

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
If you do the breaking up or both of you simply grow apart and mutually agree to break up then its acceptable to be friends if the girl asks.

Accepting friendship from some chick that got rid of you is nothing but a slow death of dignity and a disingenuous form of apology for her to even ask.

For your specific situation it looks like she's trying to slowly lure you back into the relationship with sex.

Don't give in but feel free to take the sex that she offers and just keep hunting for other chicks in the meantime.

Once you have secured a new source of sex scale it back to regular sexless friendship with your former love.

I.A.F.Y.B.

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Being friends with an ex could be hard. Depending on how much you liked each other. There will still be old feelings, memories, and sexual tension. Picutre seeing your girlfriend quite often with the kissing, cuddling, sex.. Then, going from that to just hanging out with each other just as friends? It's gonna be hard for one of you and will most likely end up getting back together.

resurrected

Reaction score
A lot of guilt, especially after sex. She will feel 'used', no matter what she says.