Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Squatting vs Running

nicksaiz65

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Hey peeps, quick fitness question. Long story short my fitness goals are to get strong at free weights, increase my cardiovascular endurance astronomically, and burn fat.

This morning I squatted 225 lbs for 5x5. So far so good. But then I tried to jog and it was pathetic. I felt so heavy and I couldn't even make it 7 minutes. Not because of my cardio endurance, but because my legs were so tired from the squats.

How should I fix this problem? My goals are to both run and squat. Should I split up my sessions, lift in the morning and cardio in the evening to give my legs some rest time? I lift 3 days a week, so maybe run on the in between days? Or am I just being a b*tch and I need to man up and just do it?

Thoughts and ideas appreciated.

Focal core

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Crosstrainer do them both. I always do it once a week in an hour.

lamath

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I would not do both the same day, i actually have a similar problem with hockey and lifting, it seems i cant lift the days i play hockey otherwise my on ice performance suck

nicksaiz65

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I would not do both the same day, i actually have a similar problem with hockey and lifting, it seems i cant lift the days i play hockey otherwise my on ice performance suck
Yeah. You think it'll screw with my weight recovery if I do:

Lifting: Monday Wednesday Friday
Running: Tuesday Thursday Saturday.

And take Sundays off?

I just can't stand not doing cardio. I need it at least 3 times a week.

lamath

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Yeah. You think it'll screw with my weight recovery if I do:

Lifting: Monday Wednesday Friday
Running: Tuesday Thursday Saturday.

And take Sundays off?

I just can't stand not doing cardio. I need it at least 3 times a week.
i would just skip running when you do a leg work out.
3 days of lifting is the minimum imo.
Not sure about the cardio, it was never something i did much,.

nicksaiz65

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
i would just skip running when you do a leg work out.
3 days of lifting is the minimum imo.
Not sure about the cardio, it was never something i did much,.
The only issue is I work my legs every time I lift lol. I'm on StrongLifts 5x5, which has you do 3 full body workouts a week, you squat every time.

I just realized why I didn't have this problem over summer. I was doing a Push-Pull-Legs split. So my legs weren't nearly as sore all the time.

So as long as I don't lift and run on the same day I'll be alright?

Focal core

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
So I just need to man up and push through it even after my legs are dead from squats?
Crosstrainer is a machine designed shaping for hips, butt and burning calories (cardiovascular)

rart

Don Juan
Reaction score
lifting will hurt running, running will hurt lifting. Depends how much you run, and how serious you are about you lifts. What is your goal?

If you goal to put on some muscle, then do not run. Drop running completely and get your squat up to 315 3x5. It might take a while (maybe a year) to get there, but in the end you'll have quite a bit more muscle.

If you cannot drop running, do not expect your squat and muscle mass to go any higher than it is. Just focus on running and squat maybe a few times a week.

lamath

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
lifting will hurt running, running will hurt lifting. Depends how much you run, and how serious you are about you lifts. What is your goal?

If you goal to put on some muscle, then do not run. Drop running completely and get your squat up to 315 3x5. It might take a while (maybe a year) to get there, but in the end you'll have quite a bit more muscle.

If you cannot drop running, do not expect your squat and muscle mass to go any higher than it is. Just focus on running and squat maybe a few times a week.
This is good advice

Epic Days

Banned
Reaction score
Sometimes I go combine heavy deadlifts with treadmill dead sprints. But I’m mostly light the rest of the week. But those access two different systems.

You will burn up your glycogen with heavy lifts. The run, assuming distance running, will suffer because you are trying to run a pace that is trying to continue to draw on glycogen. But it’s depleted. This would be counter productive combining two glycogen accessing activities.

nicksaiz65

Master Don Juan
Reaction score

My short term goal is dropping fat. But I know that's 99% nutrition more than anything.

My long term goal is have really huge muscles at a low Bodyfat percentage. To get there, I'll need a 3x5 315 squat like you said. I've done 1x5 315 in the past. With a belt though, I want to do it without a belt. But the thing is, I like running too. I also want to be able to consider myself very "athletic." I originally had goals of being able to run a 10K as well while being huge: maybe that's not realistic?

Last edited:

nicksaiz65

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Sometimes I go combine heavy deadlifts with treadmill dead sprints. But I’m mostly light the rest of the week. But those access two different systems.

You will burn up your glycogen with heavy lifts. The run, assuming distance running, will suffer because you are trying to run a pace that is trying to continue to draw on glycogen. But it’s depleted. This would be counter productive combining two glycogen accessing activities.
Yeah that's probably why that run was so trash. And it confused me cause I've done good runs before... Not after I squatted decently heavy though.

Would eating something with some carbs, like say an apple/banana and some yogurt replenish my glycogen stores? I don't know how the actual science behind this works.

rart

Don Juan
Reaction score
My short term goal is dropping fat. But I know that's 99% nutrition more than anything.

My long term goal is have really huge muscles at a low Bodyfat percentage. To get there, I'll need a 3x5 315 squat like you said. I've done 1x5 315 in the past. With a belt though, I want to do it without a belt. But the thing is, I like running too. I also want to be able to consider myself very "athletic." I originally had goals of being able to run a 10K as well while being huge: maybe that's not realistic?
Looks like you are running to burn fat, not because you enjoy it. Running does not actually burn a lot of calories. The 5x5 program you are doing is actually a lot better at controlling your fat then running, and it is very demanding. You won't be able to do a lot of running if you commit to 5x5.

How fat are you? Building strength is a lot harder then dropping fat. You should focus on your lifting progression since your squat is at 225. Eat clean, but eat a lot. When you stop making progress on you squat, which depending on your age and genetics should be north of 300 pounds and if you still feel that you are fat, you should continue lifting heavy but reduce calories gradually. Aim at loosing 1 pound of weight/ week. On caloric deficit you won't feel as strong, but that's OK. The muscle that you would have built will help you drop that fat.

nicksaiz65

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Looks like you are running to burn fat, not because you enjoy it. Running does not actually burn a lot of calories. The 5x5 program you are doing is actually a lot better at controlling your fat then running, and it is very demanding. You won't be able to do a lot of running if you commit to 5x5.

How fat are you? Building strength is a lot harder then dropping fat. You should focus on your lifting progression since your squat is at 225. Eat clean, but eat a lot. When you stop making progress on you squat, which depending on your age and genetics should be north of 300 pounds and if you still feel that you are fat, you should continue lifting heavy but reduce calories gradually. Aim at loosing 1 pound of weight/ week. On caloric deficit you won't feel as strong, but that's OK. The muscle that you would have built will help you drop that fat.
Hm, I'd like to lose about 30-50 pounds this year. I don't think that's unrealistic.

Would you call 225 a decent squat, out of curiosity?

But that honestly sounds more enjoyable than running everywhere. It's just I've embarrassed myself in the past by having no cardio endurance. But I hear once you can squat 315 consistently, and you're not overweight, it takes care of itself.

Also this might be common knowledge, but stretching more really helped with my DOMS today.

Focal core

Master Don Juan
Reaction score

I will have to disagree with this, as a long time gym goers i do them both, depends on your fat/muscle, get appropriate supplement nutrients, if your body weight more leaning on fat i suggest taking whey, and if your need to bulks up use mass whey, cardiovascular are essential on building your stamina and overall fitness.

Staticus

Don Juan
Reaction score
I would switch you routine to a PPL, I would throw in HIIT cycling on your Push/Pull days, and I would do incline walks on your leg days. I would adjust your diet completely to accommodate for your fat loss. Put yourself in a caloric deficit, track your macros. When it comes to supplements, whey and EAAs/BCAAs.

EyeBRollin

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Don’t do both. Focus on lifting until you get strong.

I split them up by season. From November to April I devote 100% to strength training. Come May through October I focus on distance running and sprints, with light upper body strength training.

I used to do both. It is not a good idea for a natural athlete, as your legs will get overtrained very quickly. More importantly, your soft tissues will scream.