Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Squat Form Check (Video)

shock

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Just need some insight on my form.

I've been on Rip's routine for about a month now. This is my first set of of 3, 175x5.

Sorry about the unnecessary footage, and the loudness of the music. No editing software. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=63mdY0LIZLk

Drum&Bass

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
almost perfect !!!! except I couldnt see your feet, but I encourage people to keep a close stance with toes pointing at an extreme outwards ankle.

Your knees looked OK but I try to encourage extreme pushing outwards of the knees on the way up.

im not sure where the bar is resting but place it on your rear delts not traps.

Pie in the Sky

Don Juan
Reaction score
Drum&Bass said:
almost perfect !!!! except I couldnt see your feet, but I encourage people to keep a close stance with toes pointing at an extreme outwards ankle.

Your knees looked OK but I try to encourage extreme pushing outwards of the knees on the way up.

This is horrible advice. Always point your feet in the same direction your knees are bending to prevent injury. Bar placement looked okay to me. I liked the first 2 reps then you started leaning forward too much coming out of the hole. You want to flex your glutes as hard as you can and keep your chest up when you are coming back up. This prevents you from rounding your back (impossible with glutes flexed) and minimizes pull back which will put extra stress on erector spinae. Post this on a bodybuilding forum if you want solid feedback.

shock

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Awesome, thanks guys. I can definately see an exaggerated lean on the later reps. I will try to work on that.

I will take it to bb.com, and probably rip's forum as well.

Anyone else?

blinkwatt101

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
First off fix your hat! Don't wear it backwards when squatting, it can only get in the way. Wearing it backwards kinda makes you looks like a douche,trust me my buddies in the gym comment to me when I do it,but I still do it sometimes. Lol

Your doing too much weight and starting to lose control near the bottom of the rep,look at how your upper half starts to lean forward. Try to keep your back a little more straight,it shouldn't be a problem when you have less weight though.

Nice and deep,that's how you do'em.

It's never about the weight but the intensity and isolation that make you grow.

Colossus

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Drum&Bass said:

^^Please don't do this.

Foot placement is largely up to you. Don't obsess over it. A good rule of thumb is slightly wider than shoulder width, toes at a 30-45 degree angle. Try to "sit back" into the squat a little more.

Bar placement also depends on your body structure and comfort. If placing the bar low on your traps causes you to lean forward too much, don't do it. Just put it where it is comfortable and allows you to reach depth without doing a good morning.

Your depth was fine. Lose the hat. Pick a spot on the wall and stare at it the whole set. When you come up from the bottom push your elbows forward. Take a huge breath before each rep, hold it, then let it out in a controlled manner on the way up. This will help you keep tightness.

Fuglydude

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I'm not expert but that looked pretty good to me...

I like using a slightly narrower stance as I find it really helps me to use my quads a bit more. Your stance width looked fine.

Kerpal

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Have you read Starting Strength? I can already tell Rippetoe is going to say that your knees are sliding forward at the bottom and to look down more.

Last edited:

Drum&Bass

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Foot placement is largely up to you. Don't obsess over it. A good rule of thumb is slightly wider than shoulder width, toes at a 30-45 degree angle. Try to "sit back" into the squat a little more.
Your nuts if you dont think foot placement is important !!! WTF how the hell can you go into a DEEP squat with your toes pointing straight ahead. OR wide for that matter ??? the closer the feet (and more of an outward angle) the lower you sink period.

Bar placement also depends on your body structure and comfort. If placing the bar low on your traps causes you to lean forward too much, don't do it. Just put it where it is comfortable and allows you to reach depth without doing a good morning.
ok to some extent this is true but for his leverages LOWER bar placement would be LESS sheering stress on his back than a high bar placement. The dude DOES NOT HAVE A LONG TORSO...

Your depth was fine. Lose the hat. Pick a spot on the wall and stare at it the whole set. When you come up from the bottom push your elbows forward. Take a huge breath before each rep, hold it, then let it out in a controlled manner on the way up. This will help you keep tightness.
you only address 1 issue and its not even an issue for the OP DURING the making of his video. pushing the knees outwards is taught by every respectable coach that everyone on this board follows.

Pie in the Sky = No comment get your weight up rookie

I like using a slightly narrower stance as I find it really helps me to use my quads a bit more. Your stance width looked fine.
See !! Not to mention it allows you to go DEEPER !! a wide foot placement would probably change where the emphasis was on your legs and how low you would be able to sink in the squat.

Colossus

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Easy pardner.

The reason why I said 'dont do this' is you used the word "extreme" in two different contexts. Nothing about squat form should be extreme.

Foot placement IS up to the lifter. I know 600 lb squatters who squat both very wide and surprisingly narrow. Newbies will listen to all this different advice about foot placement find squatting difficult, until one day they just put them where they feel right and they like squatting again. I'll give you the outward flaring of the knees, but this is more of a cue to help recruit power from the glutes and hams. Pointing the toes at an 'extreme' outward angle overly recruits the adductors. Pointing them straight forward is asking for knee problems. Yes, you can easily reach depth with the feet close and ducked outward, but this is not a good way to squat long term and it shouldnt be taught to a newbie.

Regarding bar placement, I think mid-trap is best if you aren't squatting with equipment, but some guys like it a little higher or a little lower. Too low will just make him hunch forward and do a good morning.

EFFORT

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
One of the best ways to really learn form is to find a powerlifting gym in your area have the guys check your squat,dead,bench,military press....you'll learn A LOT. Even better if you join it.

blinkwatt101

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Drum&Bass said:
Pie in the Sky = No comment get your weight up rookie
I hope that's a joke. If the OP is getting his blood flowing from 5 reps at a relatively light weight w/o 100% form he doesn't need to move up in weight. He is only increasing his chance of injury by upping the weight.

Without 100% form you aren't lifting weights,you just throwing them around.

Drum&Bass

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Your right Colossus, I was actually speaking to OP the way I talk to my clients, using verbal cues...there is no excessive or extreme actions in the movement but when I use those cue words it helps my clients to correct there technique.

I sometimes forget in the online world things can get misconstrued and misunderstood very easily.

To blinkwatt101, WTF are you talking about ??

Fuglydude

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
blinkwatt101 said:
I hope that's a joke. If the OP is getting his blood flowing from 5 reps at a relatively light weight w/o 100% form he doesn't need to move up in weight. He is only increasing his chance of injury by upping the weight.

Without 100% form you aren't lifting weights,you just throwing them around.
Call me lazy, but throwing around weights is WAAAAY more fun than actually lifting them. I LOVE lifting explosively... I believe there's a place for both explosive and controlled movement in fitness. Lifting rather than exploding is probably a lot safer and arguably more productive for hypertrophy, but I believe strength gains come w/ more explosive lifting.

blinkwatt101

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Fuglydude said:
Call me lazy, but throwing around weights is WAAAAY more fun than actually lifting them. I LOVE lifting explosively... I believe there's a place for both explosive and controlled movement in fitness. Lifting rather than exploding is probably a lot safer and arguably more productive for hypertrophy, but I believe strength gains come w/ more explosive lifting.
It's all about different strokes for different folks. :p

U

user43770

Your form looked good to me. Your chest is lagging behind a little on the way up, but it isn't too serious - just work on your core.

WTID

Don Juan
Reaction score
Don't look down.Why'd you keep lokking at your feet.To much curvature in your spine,to fast and jerky

cuzza

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Looks good to me.

WTID... he was looking up the whole way, nowhere near his feet, not sure what video you were watching mate.