"The Coffee Shop Girl You Never Spoke To"

You've replayed it a hundred times. She stood three feet away, scrolling her phone. You had an opening. You composed the perfect line — after she was gone.

For all you know, she's married now. To some guy who said something. Anything.

Openers are cheap. Almost any sentence works when it's delivered within three seconds. The expensive part is the standing there, drafting and deleting, while the window quietly closes.

The "22 Rules" stripped out my hesitation. What to open with, how to keep it alive, and the one habit that costs guys more women than anything else: waiting for perfect.

Read more...

something I noticed today...

backbreaker

Master Don Juan
Joined
Apr 24, 2002
Messages
11,546
Reaction score
572
Location
monrovia, CA
Well, I have made a concious effort to talk to more people in general when in public. Normally I am pretty laid back and I honestly have a very serious look on my face, but I have started to smile at people, and start converstaions.


Something I noticed that I don't think alot of people here, including myself is this... If you try to be friendly, and start a conversation with ANYONE, even a pretty woman, and they act snobby, YOU ARE NOT ARE NOT THE PROBLEM!! It's them.

I spoke to around 6 people today, all totally random. I tried to speak with this older woman while at wal mart picking up some items and she just kept her head down and kept going. I was thinking "damn, she has a problem".

Then I went to subway to pick up dinner, and this chick, who really wasn't even cute, barely decent, had the nerve to ingnore me when I tried to start a converstaion with her. I then went to the other employee, who was a woman, and we had a great conversation, and I even got a free coupon :)

anyway, I don't know why i didn't realize this eariler, but if you are just being friendly and someone is disrespectful, it's not your fault. What if a girl, or a guy tried to come up to you and start a convo and you just dissed them, that would be extremely rude.
 

"I just moved here from Florida."

That sentence contains at least five follow-up questions she WANTS you to ask. Where in Florida? What brought you here? How long have you been in the area? What do you miss? How does it compare to here?

She handed them to you on a silver platter. And you said, "Oh cool. I come here every week. I love this band. Ummm... pretty crowded tonight."

She smiled politely. Nodded. And never texted you back.

I was that guy for years. Talking too much. Listening too little. Panicking about my next sentence while she was literally feeding me the answers.

Then I found 22 rules that fixed the whole thing. Rule number one: shut up and listen. She'll tell you exactly what to say.

Read more...

ScrewIt

Master Don Juan
Joined
Feb 11, 2004
Messages
1,769
Reaction score
2
wow it took you 20 years to realize that?

anyway truth is if someone doesnt want to know you they wont talk back, needless to say show interest. Most ppl are pretty selective with who they want to know/talk to. Many ppl tend to watch out who they talk to, who knows? the next guy you talk to could be a serial killer.

but the majority of ppl in this world are close minded ppl so that's their problem. the open minded ppl such as me and you may be friendly and want to know everyone. but unfortunately 2/3's of the population is close-minded, it's a sad fact really.
 

Ebach

Senior Don Juan
Joined
May 9, 2004
Messages
397
Reaction score
0
It's no one's problem. It's tough. Sometimes you don't feel like talking to other people, etc. Just because at the time you feel all friendly and stuff doesn't mean all people are like that and you shouldn't take the rejection personally, also, that doesn't mean that they are closed minded or whatever. You don't know what they have on their mind, could be a dead parent, or whatever. Thing is, if they don't feel you at the moment, just keep going to the next one and don't let anything bother you. Some people need a more refreshing convo in order to be interested. If someone started talking to me about boring everyday **** when I was in stress or just irritated I'd leave. That doesn't mean that I have a problem, or that you have a problem, it simply means that I don't feel like talking about boring ****. That simple.

Good job on the friendly approaches!
 

backbreaker

Master Don Juan
Joined
Apr 24, 2002
Messages
11,546
Reaction score
572
Location
monrovia, CA
It's one thing not to want to talk to someone; there is a right way to NOT talk to someone, and it's not by starring at someone and rolling your eyes. That's just plain rude.
 
Top