Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

So I bought the home gym. What workout regime to use?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spaz

Banned
Reaction score
As I said I was buying a home gym as part of my Christmas. So Walmart had one for $200, on sale regular price $300 so I pulled the trigger. It's only 150lb weight stack but I'm not a huge guy and I don't want to be totally ripped guy, just lean muscle.

So like how many days a week would you use it? I do cardio everyday so I'm skinny as it is. An hour a day on the home gym like in the morning and cardio at night?

I'm barley 5-9 and about 125lbs. How many months would it take before I get some lean muscle on me? I also want to do more sit ups and push ups too.

Like, when I do get muscle should I post pics of it on OLD depending on dating app? Like POF I can see it, but would Match be a good idea? The older women on Match though on their profiles say shirtless pics a turn off.

Home gym is coming towards the end of the month.
Proud of you.

Let us know of ur progress.

RickTheToad

Reaction score
As I said I was buying a home gym as part of my Christmas. So Walmart had one for $200, on sale regular price $300 so I pulled the trigger. It's only 150lb weight stack but I'm not a huge guy and I don't want to be totally ripped guy, just lean muscle.

So like how many days a week would you use it? I do cardio everyday so I'm skinny as it is. An hour a day on the home gym like in the morning and cardio at night?

I'm barley 5-9 and about 125lbs. How many months would it take before I get some lean muscle on me? I also want to do more sit ups and push ups too.

Like, when I do get muscle should I post pics of it on OLD depending on dating app? Like POF I can see it, but would Match be a good idea? The older women on Match though on their profiles say shirtless pics a turn off.

5'8 - 5'9 at 125lb? You are at least 25 - 30 lbs underweight. You need to see a nutritionist and get your meals setup correctly. And do not try to hit on her!

RickTheToad

Reaction score
Rart’s Advice is spot on. Also for arms, the best aRm builders are the bench press and weighted chin ups. Build your strength on those.

As for diet for an underweight guy like OP, here is a good sample:

Breakfast:
Oatmeal with peanut butter & honey and or fruit
3 eggs scrambled or omelette

Morning snack:
Protein shake with milk

Lunch:
Turkey sandwich with cheese & a salad

Afternoon snack / pre workout
Protein shake with milk

Post workout
Protein shake with milk

Dinner:
10 oz Fillet of fish, chicken breast, or steak
Sweet potato
Grilled vegetables

This should net about 5000 calories with plenty of protein and nutrients. If you’re not a fan of protein shakes you can just use whole milk to the same effect.
With that meal plan, he'll be constipated as a mother fvcker. Need more healthy carbs.

Vantagepoint34

Master Don Juan
Reaction score

Classic body builders would say for men you only need 5 pounds. Thats the first part. You also have to look at that build what your close to best sports for all purpose are soccer and swimming. I mean how many times have you heard a guy over weight saying man when I was in high school had the swimmer's body. In first year you could build as much as 25 pounds of muscle. Plyometrics are limited to plateaus unless your up to as some point getting wall push ups and advanced variations. I also have a pro tennis player routine if you're interested. For old you need like three pics first business professional. Second one where you're having fun like posing at the dock or you're at the beach with your dog. Last pic is preference. Lot's of teacher on Pof. Match is perfect to put yourself up to marriage.

EyeBRollin

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
At this point the OP does not need to complicate his routine with intricacies of nutrition. He just needs to increase intake of good food, start lifting, get enough sleep, and see his lifts go up.
He has an eating problem that weight training alone won’t fix.

Atom Smasher

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
The thing is, he has to start where he's at. If he has the heart for it, he'll advance.

I'm not too sure that throwing him in the deep end will be beneficial in his case. A reasonable, improved eating program, along with just getting started on lifting, will reveal whether or not he can/will advance.

RickTheToad

Reaction score
No way in hell. Oatmeal, vegetables, potatoes, fruit are all very high in fiber. The only solid dairy is one serving of cheese.
True, but that's loads of protein PLUS turkey. If he's already malnourished; and by his weight and height, he is he'll be sh itting pebbles and constipated as f uck. He needs real world guidance in nutrition and exercise. Without express directions and instruction, he'll f uck it up; and in turn, f uck his body up too. At his level, he needs a PT and a nutritionist.

http://www.24hourfitness.com might be a good option. He can get a 2 year membership through costco.com for 400 bucks, no tax. Works out to be around 17 bucks a month. A forum cannot help this dude with health and weight training. He's pre-rookie (no disrespect to BG).

flowtheory

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
True, but that's loads of protein PLUS turkey. If he's already malnourished; and by his weight and height, he is he'll be sh itting pebbles and constipated as f uck. He needs real world guidance in nutrition and exercise. Without express directions and instruction, he'll f uck it up; and in turn, f uck his body up too. At his level, he needs a PT and a nutritionist.

http://www.24hourfitness.com might be a good option. He can get a 2 year membership through costco.com for 400 bucks, no tax. Works out to be around 17 bucks a month. A forum cannot help this dude with health and weight training. He's pre-rookie (no disrespect to BG).
Definitely agree.

someone who hasn’t lifted before or been exposed to the world of fitness with pursuits of becoming in-shape would be better off in the long term to seek guidance and knowledge from an industry professional who can teach him the foundational knowledge. It will compound his results. Remmeber, building the body and adopting a healthy lifestyle is just that; a lifestyle.

invest your money and time now to someone worth their salt and you will reap many benefits.

A lot of individuals buy the home gym only to have dust bunnies making use of it. Going to the gym is also an environment where everyone is on the same relatively same frequency, so a flow state is easy to find rather than jump starting when you get home after a long day at work.

great on you for investing in the home gym. But your understanding, I imagine, is abysmal in body mechanics under tension. Develop excellent form and proper nutrition. Your shoulders, spine, knees, lower back, etc will thank you in older age if you continue down this road.

Spaz

Banned
Reaction score

biggoal

Banned
Reaction score
I strongly advice you to 1st head towards ur local gym, find the cheapest one around.

You'll need people around you that's encouraging you on either verbally or visually as a beginner.

Otherwise as others have noted, those home gyms have a tendency to collect dust, more so for beginners.
my neighbor has a home gym and elipitical machine in their garage. Since I've lived here it has just sat there in the garage and they put stuff on it.

Poonani Maker

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I built my workout regimen around This video:
I use the app 'IntervalTimer' to create my own high intensity/low intensity time so 1 minute/30 seconds. I use my own punch/kick combos, and have a longer 'downtime' after 3 1 minute/30 second punch/kick sets of 2 minutes 7 seconds. During that downtime of 2 minutes 7 seconds in-between 5 sets, I am doing somewhat grueling plank pushups 1st, around-the-worlds walking on hands in a circle while my feet are up 2nd, opposite arm/leg raises while lying on my stomach 3rd, opposite toe-touch crunches off my back 4th with jump down get-ups immediately afterwards, burpees 5th. At the beginning and end I'll jumprope through a song or two or three so 15 minutes at least. I'll do mainly the boxer's jumprope style but throw in tricks every now and then. This interval training lasts about an hour, but the app shows 37 minutes because jumprope time is not included. Then last, I'll do another 5-minute app interval session that's 30 second/30 second for 4 sets. So the first one is squats and hold for the last 10 seconds, then jumping jacks and/or arm-raise squats, then back to squats and hold for the last 10 seconds, then pushups and balancing opposite arm/leg holds, then back to squats and hold for the last 10 secs, then pushup position knee floor/wall climbing, then back to squats and hold for the last 10 seconds, then jumping jacks and/or arm-raise squats.

zekko

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
A lot of individuals buy the home gym only to have dust bunnies making use of it.
And a lot of people buy gym memberships only not to use them.

OP, don't be discouraged by what people are saying here. I see no reason why you can't get some good use out of that machine, especially since you're starting out at 125 lbs. Looks like you got a good deal on it. Maybe you won't become a bodybuilder, but I don't think that's your goal anyway. People can increase their fitness level without any equipment at all. It's more about consistency and self discipline than anything else.

I'd consider adding a bench and some weights next.

biggoal

Banned
Reaction score
What weight would you recommend starting off at on the machine?

zekko

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
You need to find that yourself. It's trial and error, and it depends on the muscle you're isolating. Basically if you want to grow muscle, you want to work the muscle to failure (be unable to continue). The way I learned was to do three sets of 12 reps apiece. You want to fail somewhere during the third set.

Others will disagree about the number of sets and reps, but that's the basic idea. And you don't want to do this twice a day, you need to rest a muscle at least a day to give it time to heal, that's how it grows. You can do a full workout three days a week, or some people work different muscle groups five days a week. Those are fairly typical schedules. You can do cardio in between if you like.

switch7

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
The only worth while exercises that machine allows you to do is cable chins and preacher curls and even then you are only working out a small part of your body properly. I could buy a pair of dumbbells and chinup bar for probably around 50$ and be be able to get the exact same workout that your gym system provides..

You should have bought a bench press squat rack combo and then you would have been able to do proper lifting, ie bench, squat, deadlift, rows and military press, the things that shock your body into an anabolic state and make you grow muscle. That aint gonna really be possible on that thing you bought but fvck it -

just go and start lifting mate. Aim for 10 reps on each exercise, and 3 sets of each exercise you do - and the last 3 should be difficult, the 10th almost impossible.

With that machine you can do pec flyes, cable pullups, tricep push downs, preacher curl, leg extensions and maybe a couple other things. Find out what they are and go to work on them.

After 3 months if you are enjoying it and/or want to keep it up, sell the workout system and either join a gym or buy a bench squat rack combo with olympic barbell weights and dumbells. (like I pointed out to you in your other thread)

EyeBRollin

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
There is no truth whatsoever to what you just said. A nutritionist (which is a very good idea) will tell him exactly the same thing I did. But you can feel free to nitpick a sample diet rich in protein and vegetables with substantive other than "he will be constipated," which is bullshvt.

While nutritionists are highly credible and a sound investment, the majority of personal trainers are an absolute joke. They are there to sell more training sessions.

Status
Not open for further replies.