Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Singing (and other arts) and why people are so deluded?

Murk

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I'm sitting here while my girl butchers Mariah Carey songs and my best friend is butchering anything that sung. We are drinking and having a good time (while I'm bItching to you guys), but I'm just shaking my head internally. They are not good, but encourage each other?

I used to think I could sing, don't get me wrong I can hold a note, but when I recorded myself singing Seal - Kiss From A Rose, I realised I'm not actually good (I can hold a note). Why do people think they are better than they are? Are we as humans predisposed to value anything we produce as good?

I also have an aunt and cousin (not mother/daughter) that think they can sing. Why are people so fvcking deluded!!??

Billtx49

Reaction score
They’re having fun, being positive, and don’t bother with criticism of others. They’re accepting each other unconditionally…

Murk

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
They’re having fun, being positive, and don’t bother with criticism of others. They’re accepting each other unconditionally…
That's exactly why I keep my mouth shut, I'm cynical as f*ck and I know it. Everything and everyone just disappoints me at some point. These people can't sing! I was so close to telling my girl she can't sing (my truth) but went with posting on SS and venting instead.

Billtx49

Reaction score
That's exactly why I keep my mouth shut, I'm cynical as f*ck and I know it. Everything and everyone just disappoints me at some point. These people can't sing! I was so close to telling my girl she can't sing (my truth) but went with posting on SS and venting instead.
They all probably know they can’t sing, but they’re putting forth the effort and having fun. They’re laughing with and at each other without any judgement. Think about that…
Not many people actually like a cynical critic…
He’s too much of a downer

BillyPilgrim

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Participation Trophy culture at play here.

bob2007

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
I'm a very high level singer. Some people can not process tone, pitch etc etc. Just like amateur athletes can not figure out who is good or not.

Atom Smasher

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
It depends on whether or not they really think they’re good singers. There’s nothing more cringe than some deluded “singer” belting out a song with conviction when everyone around them is mortified. On the other hand, if people sing with reckless abandon and they know they’re bad, that can be lots of fun.

Travel memoir21

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
There's a difference between being known as a singer and being known as a song writer who happens to be a vocalist.

Look at Bob Dylan for example, his voice is very mediocre yet he's made millions off his songs and music.

Atom Smasher

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
This is true. If you have an off-beat style or voice quality that is congruent with who you are, you can be very engaging. Look at Billy Corgan as another example.

lost_blackbird

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
A fairly useful part of my autism is a natural musical ability, I play drums and
numerous styles of guitar bass, rhythm and lead to a pretty decent standard
considering I'm self taught, and by ear. My singing though is where I excel, I have
pretty much perfect pitch and a fairly impressive range considering my quite
deep speaking voice, I'm certain it could be improved with some training though.
Fun fact, I sing as a stim. It usually means something is wrong, upsetting me somewhat,
but not always, I sing when I'm happy too, but its rare I feel that way. People like
me stim for various reasons, not always negative ones. I'm very glad I don't
do the flappy hand thing common with autistic stimming.

Despite my ability I hate to sing in public, (I hate doing most things in public to be fair,
and I'm not especially fond of 'the public' in general, preferring isolation and privacy.)
These days, I will only sing around someone I like and trust, I have told been many times
over the years that I have a beautiful voice, when I have found the confidence to give
it some in front of another person/s. I did a bit or karaoke when I was a teen and a little
more c0cksure. The last song I performed doing that was 'Losing My Religion', not especially
demanding vocally but needing a certain angst. I got a standing ovation from about 200 people.
I was like 19, I have much better vocal control and technique some 30 years later, but that
was the last time I sang in front of others. I was in bands for years on and off after that but
I was far happier hiding behind an instrument and not being the focus of attention.
I lack and have always lacked (if I'm honest) the confidence to stand up there and share
my gift. It's a bit of a shame really.

IKO69

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
They probably know they are bad but are just having fun. It's not that serious lol. Let people enjoy themselves.

Now if they are selling the home to chase the dream that's a different story.

BillyPilgrim

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Doesn't Britian also have a bunch of "
They probably know they are bad but are just having fun. It's not that serious lol. Let people enjoy themselves.

Now if they are selling the home to chase the dream that's a different story.
That's all well and good, but being there and having to listen to them isn't always fun for the other people. Even Karaoke nights should try and discourage bad singers. It's just bad for biz if they're truly awful.