Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Shin Splints AHHH

imarockstar

Don Juan
Reaction score
this is pissin me off as of late. just quit smoking cigs and started running again. i know i could run longer, the problem isnt my lungs, they feel 100x better.

its my damn shins/ankles. after a half mile on the treadmill they start burning and feel swollen, like theres no circulation or something. i can push through to a mile and a half because they start to get numb.

keep in mind, this is only the third time ive run in the past couple weeks, but before this its been years. am i just not used to running? does it go away or do i have a problem? if so how do i get rid of it?

Deadly_Ripped

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Back it off to walking at an aggressive pace. Do not run until you can walk intensely for 20 minutes. If you're walking for 1/2 mile and feel the same thing, then you may want to see a doctor about circulation issues.

The name of the game is moderation when entering a workout regimen.

If you're going to start exercising, you might want to shoot for 2-3x per week to start, and keep your workouts light enough that you don't think of it as torture or particularly difficult. Then, after the act of exercising and the allotment of time becomes a habit, then you can really start pushing yourself without falling off or getting injured.

Take it slow.

Theminatar

Don Juan
Reaction score
Potassium will get rid of those, I take potassium supplements because I had terrible shin splints and they're gone now.

iamdisappoint

Don Juan
Reaction score
i got really bad shin splints when i started running again. i usually pushed through it (which running outside helps, because if you're on a treadmill, you can stop anytime, but if you're outside, you know that if you run, you'll get home faster so you can rest. thats my logical anyway).

also make sure you are doing shin stretches after your runs. stretching after running is important in general, but when i was getting shin splints, i made sure to stretch my shins before and after running. it felt good and i think it helped with the pain. for me, the ones that worked best: sit on the ground with your fit underneath you and the bottoms of your feet touching your butt, then lean back. i also liked standing up against a wall and stretching my quad (pulling your foot up to your butt) but then putting the top of your foot against the wall and leaning back. it might hurt your ankles a little but you should feel it in your shins. thats what worked for me, anyway.

imarockstar

Don Juan
Reaction score
awesome advice guys thanks...Theminater how long did you take the potassium supplements for?

Theminatar

Don Juan
Reaction score
imarockstar said:
awesome advice guys thanks...Theminater how long did you take the potassium supplements for?
I take them everyday, been doing it for a few months now.

Bodhi

Don Juan
Reaction score
Make sure your stretching before and after it will make a huge difference. Also getting new shoes might help, i sell running shoes and i get quite a few people who have bought the wrong type of runner or just need new ones, and getting the proper pair fixes it for them. Just something to look into find a small shop who knows what they are talking about when it comes to shoes and your running stride

Theminatar

Don Juan
Reaction score
Bodhi said:
Make sure your stretching before and after it will make a huge difference. Also getting new shoes might help, i sell running shoes and i get quite a few people who have bought the wrong type of runner or just need new ones, and getting the proper pair fixes it for them. Just something to look into find a small shop who knows what they are talking about when it comes to shoes and your running stride
This is also good advice, I was running in the same shoes all last summer and towards the end of the summer my shin splints were getting worse. I decided to buy a new pair of shoes because a friend told me it would help, and it did.