Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

running on treadmill or running outside?

forcerecon01

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Hi i'm getting overweight and wanted to ask if running on a treadmill a good idea? I ran good when I was in the Marines but these days my knees ache a bit too. I want to bring my weight down to 175lbs. I' m currently at 200lbs. Do any of you guys run on the treadmill and if so for how long? What motivates you not to quit? I can't seem to finish my workout when I'm on the treadmill. Tell me what your routine on the treadmill is?

EyeBRollin

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Outside is much better than treadmill. Highly preferred.

As far as cardio- pick something you like. It doesn’t have to be running.. Bike riding, swimming, and “pick up” sports are all great alternatives.

forcerecon01

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Outside is much better than treadmill. Highly preferred.

As far as cardio- pick something you like. It doesn’t have to be running.. Bike riding, swimming, and “pick up” sports are all great alternatives.
thanks bro. Why is the treadmill not as good as outside?

DonJuanjr

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Download myfitnesspal and log everything you eat. Find out how many calories to eat and not gain or lose weight. This is your maintenance calories. Then eat 500 calories less than that. Weight yourself everyday, and log it on a calendar. You'll see a general trend of weight fluctuations going down over time. When this stalls, drop another 200-300 calories. Continue this until it stalls again.

forcerecon01

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Download myfitnesspal and log everything you eat. Find out how many calories to eat and not gain or lose weight. This is your maintenance calories. Then eat 500 calories less than that. Weight yourself everyday, and log it on a calendar. You'll see a general trend of weight fluctuations going down over time. When this stalls, drop another 200-300 calories. Continue this until it stalls again.
thank you

Gamisch

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
thanks bro. Why is the treadmill not as good as outside?
Depends on certain factors. A treadmill is stationary, so it's as smooth as it gets. Outside roads will never be as smooth, wind, traffic ect forces your body to adjust constantly and thus makes you burn more calories. Same goes for cycling inside vs outside.

On the other hand, treadmill can be great for when the weather is bad, and once you are in the gym already ...its easier to hit some weights( which I highly recommend if you want to lose weight).

And never forget , you have to adjust your food as well. Try to combine working out with cutting some bad eating habits , like icecream, chocolate snacks ect.dont eat like a female and starve your self, just cut the bad habits with healthier options like fruit and nuts.

forcerecon01

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Depends on certain factors. A treadmill is stationary, so it's as smooth as it gets. Outside roads will never be as smooth, wind, traffic ect forces your body to adjust constantly and thus makes you burn more calories. Same goes for cycling inside vs outside.

On the other hand, treadmill can be great for when the weather is bad, and once you are in the gym already ...its easier to hit some weights( which I highly recommend if you want to lose weight).

And never forget , you have to adjust your food as well. Try to combine working out with cutting some bad eating habits , like icecream, chocolate snacks ect.dont eat like a female and starve your self, just cut the bad habits with healthier options like fruit and nuts.
nice input. I gotta watch what I eat

Billtx49

Reaction score
A treadmill is stationary, so it's as smooth as it gets. Outside roads will never be as smooth, wind, traffic ect forces your body to adjust constantly and thus makes you burn more calories.,
Exactly. and If your enthusiasm starts to wane, you can change your run route to keep things interesting …

Scaramouche

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Hi Force Recon 01,Well Btx49 is right but then there are probably other factors here...During bad Weather I ride an exercise Bike and find that watching TV is useful to relieve the boredem....I also have a dodgy knee and find cheap knee socks help a lot,probably just by keeping them warm...Take Care.

Billtx49

Reaction score
Hi Force Recon 01,Well Btx49 is right but then there are probably other factors here...During bad Weather I ride an exercise Bike and find that watching TV is useful to relieve the boredem....I also have a dodgy knee and find cheap knee socks help a lot,probably just by keeping them warm...Take Care.
That’s a good option also, especially as we age and our knees aren’t as dependable and we learn running is hard on the knees.
If that’s a man’s personal situation, runs could be done outside when needed and a stationary bike inside for bad weather or knee rest.
Best of both worlds.

EyeBRollin

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
That’s a good option also, especially as we age and our knees aren’t as dependable and we learn running is hard on the knees.
If that’s a man’s personal situation, runs could be done outside when needed and a stationary bike inside for bad weather or knee rest.
Best of both worlds.
Biomechanically, I question if it is running that is bad on the knees or running in man-made shoes (with soles). Our foot has a distinct shape. The creator would not leave such a blatant flaw in our primary method of locomotion.

DonJuanjr

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Biomechanically, I question if it is running that is bad on the knees or running in man-made shoes (with soles). Our foot has a distinct shape. The creator would not leave such a blatant flaw in our primary method of locomotion.
Then the question becomes is running on hard surfaces what's bad for knees.

Billtx49

Reaction score
Then the question becomes is running on hard surfaces what's bad for knees.
After doing some current research today, it now seems I was operating on some out of date information about knee damage. Recent studies say running can actually strengthen those joints in a healthy individual. It now seems being overweight while running plus other minor miscellaneous factors may be the main cause of any knee damage occurring.

Regarding surface hardness, a study with shoe sensors rated grass about 12% softer than asphalt and concrete, with a treadmill believed to be in between those two…

AureliusMaximus

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I ran good when I was in the Marines but these days my knees ache a bit too
Actually the treadmill is better option as it has inbuilt shock absorbers (Most modern treadmills has that built in these days), so a treadmill will be way more gentle to your knees than running outside until you lost enough weight so it doesn't put so much strain on your bone/muscle tissue in your knees.

Also running in the mornings directly after you wake up will make you burn more fat as it raises the metabolism even higher. Run to walk - don't over do it in the start and then raise the bar as you go along and feel you can pressure yourself even further.

Best is also if you follow some training program that will play on your phone/mp3 player etc. while doing it. For example Nike Plus training app:
https://www.nike.com/ntc-app
--And--

Don't fvck around in the gym doing anything else than your training wasting time on browsing the phone etc. etc.:
Just go there as it is a job that you need to do; Get in, get it done and get the fvck out as soon as you are done.

One way of seeing it is that it is like brushing your teeth. Not fun always but it has to be done anyway. So just do it.

45 - 60 minutes is enough, 5-6 days a week should be your goal. 2-3 times a week is just maintaining your current shape. It is the last days that makes the difference. Restitute your body on Sundays for example.

Also remember that the training is just about half the battle:
Eating healthy food and getting enough sleep is extremely important. Drink a lot over to overcome any hunger feelings. Water, tea with milk etc. is fine. Stevia instead of sugar which is a 100% natural sweetener.

When you come far enough you could (If you have time for it), train cardio in the mornings before work and in the evening after work you do strength/weight training if you really want to get really ripped. Because more muscle mass will also help burn more fat..

Motivation? When you see your hard work taking shape you and get the results you will get more and more excited about it.. :up:

Personally I "hate" running outside. There is way too much distractions while running outdoors, while the treadmill offers me no distractions really, so I can focus harder on the task I.E. train harder.
But hey that is just me ofc.

Last edited: