ROM on Chins and Dips?

Vintovka

Don Juan
Reaction score
I just assumed going low on dips would get the most from the movement, but read a thread where Alex said there was no reason to go past 90 degrees.

What about chins/pulls, is extending your arms to the point just before you're literally hanging by your arms useless or dangerous?

md3sign

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
I'm interested as to what reasons exactly Alex gave saying there's no point in going past 90 degrees. I always go low on my dips (past 90). The lower you go, the more lower chest involvement you get. That way you end up working your chest and your tris at the same time.

Chins/pulls I go all the way down (dead hang more or less). There's nothing dangerous about it. It's definitely harder to go all the way down though.

Mjazz

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Its bad for your shoulder and rotator cuffs to go past 90 degrees, especially when your doing it with weight attached. For pull ups, go from a dead hang.

md3sign

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Mjazz said:
Its bad for your shoulder and rotator cuffs to go past 90 degrees, especially when your doing it with weight attached. For pull ups, go from a dead hang.
Not if you keep your elbows out. There's a different between dips (elbows in, 90 degrees) and chest dips (elbows out, lower than 90 degrees). This is what I do: http://exrx.net/WeightExercises/Triceps/WtTriDip.html

In general though dips are a tricky excersize and work for some people, not for others. Same with BTN pullups/overhead presses.