Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Reliable Cars

Lookatu

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I'd get a Prius, or Corolla hybrid for now.

Solid state battery tech is very close to being 'a thing'. But, it's not there yet.
This is another great option. Even the Honda Insight is another good hybrid option.

However if you truly want the EV feel and EV operation and can only have one car, I'd also look into PHEV vehicles. These allow you to run on full electric for a limited range(typically 10-20 miles) which is what most people only need for around town errands and such.

One of the families I know by me have a Pacifica minivan PHEV and the mom mostly does in town errands and picks up her kids. This works out perfect for them as she hardly has to get gas except when they go on road trips or go visit their relatives in another town.

Lookatu

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
It seems like a smart addition to an all electric car would be to carry a little honda gas powered generator in the trunk just in case you end up in a situation where you can get gasoline, but not electricity.
My other electric car is the BMW i3 w/range extender option and this is exactly what it does. It has an onboard generator that will extend the range to 70miles more by charging the battery. But unlike a hybrid, the gas generator only charges the battery and doesn't drive the wheels at all. With this, I'm able to go on long road trips as long as I plan accordingly so there are gas stations every so often.

The car has only a little over 2 gallon tank but some owners going on long trips also carry extra 5 gallon tank with them if gas stations are going to be more than 70miles apart.

Kotaix

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Electric cars are really nice for driving locally. The heating works instantly, you don't have to worry about warming it up and you can refill them at home easily.

I've driven both the original Nissan Leaf and the top of the line SL plus extensively. The original leaf has crap range, if you floor it, it eats the battery. The SL plus is a really nice car and has completely useable range, but unless you install a 240V or 480V charger then it will take almost 2 days to recharge it from empty. The car does come with a fast charging port, but good luck finding an EVgo fast charger that is uses.

Also, if anything goes wrong with an electric car, you're screwed. There is nothing you can do to fix it.

EyeBRollin

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
My other electric car is the BMW i3 w/range extender option and this is exactly what it does. It has an onboard generator that will extend the range to 70miles more by charging the battery. But unlike a hybrid, the gas generator only charges the battery and doesn't drive the wheels at all. With this, I'm able to go on long road trips as long as I plan accordingly so there are gas stations every so often.

The car has only a little over 2 gallon tank but some owners going on long trips also carry extra 5 gallon tank with them if gas stations are going to be more than 70miles apart.
I know for the Volt Gen 2, they discovered that is an inefficient design. PHEVs use more gas power at highway speeds trying to charge the battery than driving the wheels, so most PHEVs have since corrected that issue. I believe the Honda Accord Hybrid which also runs as a serial hybrid operates the same way. Above ~55 mph or so, they should lock into gear and have the engine directly powering the wheels on the highway.

Bible_Belt

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Used car prices are insane right now. With the chip shortage, many auto manufacturers have shut down production. People are snatching up everything used. I thought my old ranger truck was nearly worthless, but people are asking $4k for an 05 with 200k miles. That's nuts.

Reyaj

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
@Lookatu Are you rich? How many cars do you own lol

So I looked at the hybrid cars including the BMW one... No offense to you all that own them but I don't like their designs.. I mean strictly from a visual standpoint.

I saw a Tesla model that is like 70 grand.. it says it has like 600 to 700 up.. is that true?? It looked like a 4 door sedan and that's more powerful than lambos and Ferraris! I was drunk or read the HP wrong right?

EyeBRollin

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
@Lookatu
I saw a Tesla model that is like 70 grand.. it says it has like 600 to 700 up.. is that true?? It looked like a 4 door sedan and that's more powerful than lambos and Ferraris! I was drunk or read the HP wrong right?
Those figures are correct. Tesla Model S with the crazy mode is the quickest stock production car there is to a quarter mile. The Roadster coming out will be the quickest ever made. It’s not better in overall performance to most high end sports cars though. They’ll still do road circuits better and have better top end speed.

Electric will always be quicker than gas. The reason commuters trains and subways are always electric over diesel; much quicker acceleration.

manfrombelow

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I'm not a car expert but from my experience as a daily car user, I find most Japanese cars, especially Toyota and Honda, are reliable AF in terms of maintenance cost and parts cost. The Korean brands are catching up quite good too.

Reyaj

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Those figures are correct. Tesla Model S with the crazy mode is the quickest stock production car there is to a quarter mile. The Roadster coming out will be the quickest ever made. It’s not better in overall performance to most high end sports cars though. They’ll still do road circuits better and have better top end speed.

Electric will always be quicker than gas. The reason commuters trains and subways are always electric over diesel; much quicker acceleration.
Makes sense... Just never thought it was faster than a lambo or Ferrari.. What do you mean it isn't better in overall performance though?

Mike32ct

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Eastern Time Zone where it's always really late
Technically all trains are electric, but diesel locomotives are diesel-electric; the diesel engine runs a generator, and electric motors propel the train.

But, I agree that an all-electric train will typically have superior acceleration (and probably higher top speed) because it has a more favorable power/weight ratio than a diesel-electric.

When you pick up power from overhead catenaries or via a third rail, you save a LOT of weight by avoiding an on-board diesel generator set.

The much heavier diesel-electric would probably burn the track if it even tried to accelerate too fast off the line also.

Bible_Belt

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Clutch went out in my 220k mi ranger, took it to a mechanic, and he blew the motor working on it. Truck is a total loss. And he says I owe him several hundred dollars for his time spent destroying my truck. That mf'er has no idea who he is dealing with. He is never getting that money. My state eliminated mechanics liens, and it will cost him a couple thousand bucks to apply for a title on a worthless truck, and he cant even scrap it without a title. If he touches anything on the truck before then, it is a criminal charge. I am going to try one more time to explain how nice I am being to not sue him. He is flirting with a $4,000 lawsuit for the replacement value on that worthless truck.

I bought another ranger yesterday, just 19k miles on a 1993. Old man truck he never drove. Looks old, but clutch and motor feel like new.

redskinsfan92

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Clutch went out in my 220k mi ranger, took it to a mechanic, and he blew the motor working on it. Truck is a total loss. And he says I owe him several hundred dollars for his time spent destroying my truck. That mf'er has no idea who he is dealing with. He is never getting that money. My state eliminated mechanics liens, and it will cost him a couple thousand bucks to apply for a title on a worthless truck, and he cant even scrap it without a title. If he touches anything on the truck before then, it is a criminal charge. I am going to try one more time to explain how nice I am being to not sue him. He is flirting with a $4,000 lawsuit for the replacement value on that worthless truck.

I bought another ranger yesterday, just 19k miles on a 1993. Old man truck he never drove. Looks old, but clutch and motor feel like new.
Nice find!
Sorry about the scummy mechanic. My cousin had a bad experience last year with mechanics.

Her old pontiac kept stalling out randomly. 3 mechanics couldn't fix the issue. $3,000 later still stalling. I diagnosed it in 10 minutes. Bad ignition coils and wires. You could hear one of the wires arc and then the engine would stall. I'm not a trained pro. I occasionally fix my own car.

Bible_Belt

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Nice find!
Sorry about the scummy mechanic. My cousin had a bad experience last year with mechanics.

Her old pontiac kept stalling out randomly. 3 mechanics couldn't fix the issue. $3,000 later still stalling. I diagnosed it in 10 minutes. Bad ignition coils and wires. You could hear one of the wires arc and then the engine would stall. I'm not a trained pro. I occasionally fix my own car.
The mechanic is actually an honest guy. I know him well. He is just a stubborn old man who will not budge on demanding full price for his labor spent destroying my truck. I don't want to sue anybody, but I don't think a judge would see it his way. You dont get to break someone's stuff, then hold it for ransom until they pay you for breaking it. I just want the wheels and tires off of it to put on the other truck, which is a long bed with a topper shell and one serious old man ride. I am hoping to own that truck long enough to look the part.

Lookatu

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
@Lookatu Are you rich? How many cars do you own lol

So I looked at the hybrid cars including the BMW one... No offense to you all that own them but I don't like their designs.. I mean strictly from a visual standpoint.

Let's just say I own more than I have garage and driveway for but I just like cars. Some people choose to have a nice house but I put mine in cars because they bring me joy. I am rich in that I have a family and kids. No amount of material things can beat that.

Tesla's don't generally post actual HP numbers but people estimate it based on their acceleration times. My Tesla does 0-60 in 3.5s. The Model S Plaid version does the same in under 2s. But Tesla only has the advantage down low. It loses on the top end to high performance gas vehicles.

Bible_Belt

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Tesla's don't generally post actual HP numbers but people estimate it based on their acceleration times. My Tesla does 0-60 in 3.5s. The Model S Plaid version does the same in under 2s.
That's nuts. Yamaha says their r1, which is basically a race bike for the street, has a zero to sixty time of 2.9 seconds.

Lookatu

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
That's nuts. Yamaha says their r1, which is basically a race bike for the street, has a zero to sixty time of 2.9 seconds.
Yeah it is nuts. I used to amateur drag race at the tracks back in the day and you had trailored big block chevy dragsters with slicks that couldn't even pull off those times back then. The thing with Tesla's is that those times can be gotten consistently by ANYONE. You literally just mash the go pedal and you get consistent times. No skill required.

redskinsfan92

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Yeah it is nuts. I used to amateur drag race at the tracks back in the day and you had trailored big block chevy dragsters with slicks that couldn't even pull off those times back then. The thing with Tesla's is that those times can be gotten consistently by ANYONE. You literally just mash the go pedal and you get consistent times. No skill required.
I'd love to drive one.

Lookatu

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I'd love to drive one.
Go to a Tesla dealer and you can test drive the Model 3 Performance or Model Y Performance pretty easily. Model S P100D is going to be a little more tricky as it's not a volume car and most Tesla dealers will mostly likely not have a demo S car available.

You can also go on Turo.com depending on where you live and be able to rent a Tesla for around $100/day if you really want to experience EV for the day.